Thread: Davinci Resolve: how to reframe 8k videos into 4k?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Patrick,

Redcine-X gives you more Scaling Algorithms to choose from and you can lock the crops to specific aspect ratios. You can also export those crops as ProRes files that can be used in Resolve again or in another NLE.

Last edited by rand thompson; 12-23-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Patrick,

Lastly, you can export those Cropped Prores Files out in "Primary Develppment Only(RWG/Log3G10)", which will allow you to use IPP2 Output Transform Luts in Resolve or other NLEs

ok thanks, i will compare the crops beween red cineX and Resolve!

You can also have multiple instances of the same R3d file and export multiple Prores crops to a folder to audition in your NLE with all of the crops locked to a 1.9:1 Aspect Ratio.

Last edited by rand thompson; 12-25-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Here is the Workflow for exporting 3 different crops of the same R3d file into Davinci Resolve

I used a 2.39:1 Crop for theses files

Important Note:

Once you've enlarged or shrinked the Crop Box to whatever you wanted hold down the "CTRL" button and move the crop box around from the center and not the edges.

1) import the r3d into a Project or Bin for as many times as for the different crops. In this example I did it 3 times.

This was a 6144x2571 crop of 6144x3160

This was a 5089x2129 crop of 6144x3160

This was a 3948x1652 crop of 6144x3160 which will be slightly up-scaled in the DCI4k(4096x2160) project I will be putting it in.

2)Next Export the project Press "CTRl" + "E" and use the "Project" or the "Bin" you placed the files in. Choose the format you want to export the crops in, I chose "Apple ProRes" and be sure to choose "Cropped Size" or they will be exported uncropped. I chose "Primary Development Only(RWGLog3G10)" so that I could use IPP2 Output Transform luts for the clips in Resolve.

3) In Resolve, I chose a DCI4K 4096x2160 project. I searched for the Cropped Prores files and imported them into resolve. As you can see they are in the RWG/ Log3G10 flat profile.

4) I applied a Hi Con/ Very Soft IPP2 Output Tranform Lut to each of the 3 with a slight grade.

Here is the resulting 2.39:1 DCI 4K(4096x2160) version H.264 video of all three combined.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/se268c3s6w...oject.mov?dl=0

Here is the resulting 2.39:1 4KUHD(3840x2160) version H.264 video of all three combined.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vzkq0xln0...o%201.mov?dl=0
    Last edited by rand thompson; 12-30-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Brilliant tip Rand. Will test exporting from Redcine.
    I have used some of these methods myself when working with images in image processing and they all have different strengths and weaknesses. Great to have access to so many.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Andreas,

Thanks! Yeah, every tip and trick we share with each other helps provide more workflow options for all of us to use.

So you guys are saying its not the same algoritms used when cropping and using inspector in resolve?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

You can also create different Crop Size folders for different degrees of cropping and create Export presets with different Scaling Algorithms for each folder.

I like to have the "Export Preset" Module under the "Framing Control" module

Part 1

1) In a Dark Grey area on the "Framing Control" Module "Right Click" and choose "Export Presets" under the "Right Panels" heading. This will enable the "Export Preset" Module.

2)Next, you can Either create a Folder by clicking on the Folder Icon to put the new presets in or create the presets individually by pressing the "+" button

3) Now Create as many presets as you like I chose to make three:

1)Close Crop
    2)Medium Crop
    3)Wide Crop

I will make a preset for each all with a ProRes 4444XQ Export file type but with different Scaling Algorithms to potentially optimize the Crop factor for the Different crops of images.

Sinc(Sharpest) Scaling Algorithm for "Close Crops"

CatmulRom(Sharper) Scaling Algorithm for "Medium Crops"

Mitchell(Smoother) Scaling Algorithm for "Wide Crops"

4) After creating the 3 individual Bins for the different cropping factors mentioned above, at the export of each of the individual Bins with their unique cropped images, I will choose the corresponding crop preset for each.

Sorry it should be "Cropped Size" instead of "Clip"

Last edited by rand thompson; 12-30-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Part 2-Saving and Re-Importing Export Presets

How to Save

1)To Export the Presets, the presets should be saved to be used for each new project if the "Export Presets" module stays selected, to be saved or exported to someone else, Highlight the folder they were placed in or the individual presets you want to export. Next, "Right Click" inside the grey area and select either "Save Preset" or "Save All Presets".

2)Create or select a folder you want to place the presets in click save.

How to Re-import Export Presets

1) In the empty grey area of the "Export Presets" module, "Right Click" and choose "Load Presets". Locate the directory where they were placed and select the saved preset/s. In my example , since I exported a set of three presets, it made a Zip file. All I have to do is select that. You may need to have a Zip extracting program installed on your system just to be on the safe side. And here they are.