Thread: GDU package stolen. Need help.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 GDU package stolen. Need help. 
    Hello everyone!

I have a situation here, which I don't know how to resolve anymore, hence I'm starting this thread in hope that we can manage this.

My friend visited New York for a couple of weeks right at the end of 2019. I asked him to bring several camera related gear items back, some of which he got himself at B&H and some I ordered online to be shipped to his friend's address where he was staying at. One of those items was a GDU EF-mount cap.

I put the order for GDU Aluminum Port Cap on December 20 at 3:23PM (ORDER #1961GD). I am well aware of Christmas holidays, so I specifically put the order in early for it to be able to get delivered before December 30th, the day my friend flew back home.

I am a long time RED customer (my first one was a Scarlet-X), so I was expecting the same great and fast customer service here, since GDU is owned and operated by the same people who run RED. Turned out this was not the case here unfortunately.

By Tuesday December 24, four days later, nothing happened with my order, it was still not shipped out, so I reached out to guys at GDU via e-mail at 2:14PM (sent a letter to this address - j@globaldynamicsunited.com) asking when is my order going to ship. I did this by answering the order confirmation letter, as was instructed. I got no response.

Later that day at 11:38PM I decided to try to send another e-mail to the address with the same question, since I thought that maybe the answer e-mail got somehow lost or was not delivered. I still got no response.

By that time I was pretty worried that I'm running out of time but still optimistic.

On December 26 I still got no response to both my e-mails. Having nothing else to do I turned to social media and tried to contact GDU through Instagram DMs. To my relief I actually succeeded in starting a chat, where I was told that they will take a look at the order. An hour and a half later I got a shipping confirmation e-mail.

However, the shipping estimate stated that the package is to be delivered on December 30th by 8PM. My friend was leaving the apartment he stayed at on December 30th at 11AM. Knowing how FedEx is, the package had a 99% probability arriving to an empty apartment door.

Sensing this I immediately contacted GDU through Instagram DMs again and tried to solve the issue and reroute the package to a different address (a forwarding warehouse I use). I was told by GDU that I can do this myself by creating a FedEx account. I tried to do this, but FedEx system did not allow me to create an account since the only address I could list was a warehouse address and by their rules it is a commercial address and cannot be listed for an account. I contacted GDU again with a call for help. After checking with the shipping department I was told that nothing can be done, the package is already in FedEx possession and that the GDU logistics dept is closed till next year. The person that I was talking to assured me that they will try to e-mail the logistics dept.

On December 27 I tried to contact GDU through Instagram DMs again asking if they were successful with emailing the logistics dept. I got no response.

On December 30th at 2:26PM the package was delivered to an empty apartment door and left there, as I feared all along, since my friend had already left the apartment by then.

The owner of the apartment with whom my friend had been staying left the city for Miami on the morning of the same day (12.30) and returned only on January 5th. We've asked him to check if the package has arrived. Unfortunately he was not able to locate the package on site. His neighbors who usually pick up packages for him did not see anything either. Which brings me to only one conclusion - the package was simply stolen during the period of time between December 30th and January 5th.

Now, formally, no one is responsible for this, everyone have fulfilled their obligations. However, I personally think that not shipping the order for six days straight and only doing this after a customer tries to contact you several ways including Instagram DMs is a not the greatest practice. Which ultimately lead to the conclusion of this situation as it stands today. The $53 ($39 for the cap and $14 for shipping) I paid have just vanished for me at the moment.

I don't know what to do with this and really hope to get a response with a possible solution from GDU on this one.
    Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 01-07-2020 at 12:59 AM.
    "Production value!" ©

16 days of complete silence. Again. No response here or via e-mail. Is this a GDU customer service standard? Should I hit instagram DMs again?
    "Production value!" ©

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
    16 days of complete silence. Again. No response here or via e-mail. Is this a GDU customer service standard? Should I hit instagram DMs again?
    Dude, your story is DOA and your SOL.
    Director of Photography
    CF Monstro VV Weapon package
    Sigma Cine Primes

Never, never ship to a temp address. You’re lucky it’s just fifty bucks.

RED Scarlet-W 5K Dragon "Genesis"

GOKER & BIT PRODUCTIONS

www.youtube.com/c/everythingmedieval

Sorry about your experience, but I would suggest you stop shifting blame to the dealer and realize you made a mistake. Be thankful its only a cap...lesson learned, never ship to an address that is not a permanent address. and make a note- December 20 at 3:23PM (the Friday evening before Christmas) is not early and possibly the worst date ever to order anything online.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Sorry about your experience, but I would suggest you stop shifting blame to the dealer and realize you made a mistake. Be thankful its only a cap...lesson learned, never ship to an address that is not a permanent address. and make a note- December 20 at 3:23PM (the Friday evening before Christmas) is not early and possibly the worst date ever to order anything online.
    10 days is more than enough for a simple shipment to arrive, and please explain how is December 20 "before Christmas" when there were Monday and Tuesday 23 and 24 which were business days, and still nothing was done on the dealers part. Do you consider shipping something only after a customer repeatedly tries to contact you a good business practice?

I don't see what to be thankful for in all honesty. If this was handled the same way RED handle's their shipping (fast and in touch with the clients) this situation and this thread would be non existent.
    "Production value!" ©

Port caps can pretty much only do two things. Sit in the port or get lost. Getting an extra expansive port cap... possibly not the best of moves, ordering it to a uncertain adress is like 200% guarantee for number two. So the lesson is, port caps got legs, move fast and know all the best hiding places. Consider it lost. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Move on... $50 is not worth the headache and keyboard time.