Thread: Canon 1dx III... 5.5k Raw video internal recording...

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Canon 1dx III... 5.5k Raw video internal recording... 
    Given the wave (and rapid progression) of mirrorless cameras, this very well might be the last DSLR we ever see from a major camera company... looks like a cool camera.. nice auto focus performance... 1000 shot buffer... 1000 continuous RAW photographs is absolutely bonkers, and it makes sense that their hardware can now handle all of that data that they FINALLY open up 12-bit Raw video from their sensors. Their Raw video apparently records at 2600 Megabits per second, and it's super impressive that their camera can write data that fast at 2.6 gigs a second...

but... given that Magic Lantern unlocked 5k raw from Canon's cameras 10 YEARS AGO, this kind of feels... meh..

New 20.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor combined with newly designed High Detail Low-Pass Filter
    New DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 50-819200i
    New 191-point optical viewfinder AF system capable of tracking the subject’s head, and face using Deep Learning Technology
    New Smart Controller built into the AF-On button for fast control of the AF Point selection
    Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast and accurate autofocus in Live View covering 90%x100% of the image area at an EV of -6 ~ 18
    The lightning-fast camera features the ability to shoot up to 16 frames-per-second in optical viewfinder shooting and up to 20 fps while in Live View shooting with mechanical or silent shutter
    Maximum buffer in continuous shooting (RAW+JPEG) of 1000 images or more with dual CFexpress card slots
    12-bit 5.5K RAW video internal recording and oversampling 4K 60p video recording using the full width of the sensor in Canon Log with 10-bit 4:2:2

Read more: https://photorumors.com/2020/01/06/j...#ixzz6AIvoDOyM

Last edited by william howell; 01-06-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    William Howell
    Senior Creative and Multimedia Producer
    Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    www.ihmc.us
    https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...ics-walk-again

I'm sold... for what I need to achieve when I need to achieve it. I'll take the hit on DR if any. Whatever. Get the job done.

I think itís great that weíre getting RAW video options but I wonder why they didnít go for full 6K? Still, itís the workflow and handling that make this a great option. Iím interested to see what 8K options may turn up come NAB time. ;)

The thick plottens.

5. #5 Red has some serious competition 
    This camera is some serious competition for Red. I mean Full Frame 5.5k Raw, cheaper memory and 1dx durability for run and gun. I'm selling my Raven for sure

I was trying to hold off for Komodo - but man this camera is amazing since I also shoot stills. I do wish it had rawlite - the raw video files for this might be unmanageable for longer shoots.

Magic Lantern is the one who makes me believe in the power of RAW video.. They make me went into the RED world!
    At long last, Canon has awaken... Really want to play with some RAW sample footage!
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    I think it’s great that we’re getting RAW video options but I wonder why they didn’t go for full 6K? Still, it’s the workflow and handling that make this a great option. I’m interested to see what 8K options may turn up come NAB time. ;)
    20 megapixels at 16fps with an absurdly deep buffer is already a lot of data throughput. It's probably as simple as going up to 24 megapixels would've gone past the limits. Also, why do it if the competition isn't - rumor is the D6 isn't going up to 24mp either (other than video, where Nikon is unlikely to keep up, Canon & Nikon clearly collude [or do major industrial espionage] on their top models; the specs always track very closely).

Internal RAW is great, etc. But what I wonder is where the dynamic range is at ?
    To be honest I have never seen a Canon camera go beyond 12 stops of DR in video. (They seem to hover around 11.6 stops)
    Yes, it makes a difference. Especially outside, where the vast majority of shots will be made with this kind of camera.
    Something worth considering.

I would also like to see what the rolling shutter is on this camera. I imagine that it has improved...

Canon rates the 1Dx mkIII at 14 stops when shooting raw.