Thread: Mac Pro 2019 Benchmarks

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mac Pro 2019 Benchmarks 

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    That's a dramatic difference. It seems like 3 GPUs are the better option - adding a fourth doesn't seem like good value.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

It sounds like it’s depending on CPU speed more than cores and I hear about Adobe apps are probably optimized to make use of the new Mac Pros, recently. It could be nice to see also some Adobe Resolve and Photoshop comparison!

The benchmark mentions heavy use of TNR nodes "in order to give the GPUs something to do". While I like TNR as much as the next person, I really just want to see how this machine works with Decode/Debayer of 8K R3D media in a 4K timeline. How many fps can we expect with Full, Half, 1/4 debayer? How many streams can we play at 24fps? From what I can tell, there are presently zero 2019 Mac Pro configurations that will play 8K media in realtime to a 4K monitor. There are numerous other systems, using either nVideo GPUs or Threadripper CPUs that can do this. In a month, when the 64-core Threadripper ships, that's when I expect to see a 4:1 performance difference between 2019 Mac Pro and an equivalently-priced system built to spec or built by Puget Systems (or the like).
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    The benchmark mentions heavy use of TNR nodes "in order to give the GPUs something to do". While I like TNR as much as the next person, I really just want to see how this machine works with Decode/Debayer of 8K R3D media in a 4K timeline. How many fps can we expect with Full, Half, 1/4 debayer? How many streams can we play at 24fps? From what I can tell, there are presently zero 2019 Mac Pro configurations that will play 8K media in realtime to a 4K monitor. There are numerous other systems, using either nVideo GPUs or Threadripper CPUs that can do this. In a month, when the 64-core Threadripper ships, that's when I expect to see a 4:1 performance difference between 2019 Mac Pro and an equivalently-priced system built to spec or built by Puget Systems (or the like).
    The benchmarks don’t unfortunately show the FPS playback of the footage. With no nodes of noise reduction or grade, resolve played back 8K on an 8K timeline at 35fps. With the noise reduction and grade nodes added, it maintained 35fps on a 4K timeline. If you want to ask more questions please ask rob at barefeats.

No project/raw setup, playback fps, no debayer info.

1.52 sec clip ?
    1.8 mins ?

Let me do the math now and convert this to min/sec per minute of footage with missing parts of the equation making it all float somewhere in vacuum, because a stopwatch, timeline In/Out points, writing down project setup & export settings were too much to handle with those 50 graphs on the web page useful for something, for someone intending to squander $13k for a computer.

Is there anyone doing some serious tests with five figure professional-oriented computer equipment in 2020 or it's mostly techy masturbation with minimal context, covert marketing and asskissing Cupertinosaurus these days ?

Where's that iChick with bazzilon $$ system for blogging in 8k ?

Did someone from her team who knows to setup a project in Resolve, pick in/out points and use a stopwatch with mins/seconds properly, press render perhaps while she was taking selfies in 8K on Master Primes ?

Btw, shooting on a $30K 8K cinema camera, using a $13K computer to handle its material, while planning incompetent camera usage and underexposure which is what causes noise in the first place, having to be dealt with NR, which would benefit by another $5000 thrown into Apple's piggy bank for a GPU to handle NR...which is additional repair job image processing which throws away the image detail > the detail for which you use the 8K camera in the first place

...is completely divorced from reason.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

You’re right, any noise reduction to red footage in resolve is complete incompetence throughout.

I got my system up and running. I'll do some 8k tests when I get back on the box.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sefton View Post
    You’re right, any noise reduction to red footage in resolve is complete incompetence throughout.
    No, there are reasons for using NR on occasion. I don't generally do it, but I'll apply it on occasion if there was an issue on set. Sometimes I'll use NR on Blue-channel only, which tends to get noisy under some conditions. Typically, I don't use any NR on Red or Alexa under most conditions assuming the DP has exposed it well.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    No, there are reasons for using NR on occasion.
    It looks like that was the attempt of using sarcasm in expressing standpoint towards my rant, while missing the point and using generalization.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol