Thread: RED CREATIVE LUT KIT.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Part 3 Using the Creative Lut inside of Redcine-X

7) Inside of Redcine-X, after you've imported the clip you used inside of Resolve to build your Creative Lut with, Go to the "Image:Grading" tab, Click on the "Red Triangle" to open up the dropdown menu and under the "Edit" tab choose "Import". I called the Lut I created "Nephilim_1".

8) Next, I will select the "Nephilim_1". Lut and Click the "Apply" Button to add the Creative Lut to the Image.

Nephilim_1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hnrcrrqyd...14V3.cube?dl=0

Wow. Beautiful LUT. and incredible amount of info!

Thanks Andrew!

Here it is on a 7925K ,1.209 Sat and and mild Contrast curve. The "Blues" are probably in "Out Of Gamut Heaven" though. HaHaHa

Last edited by rand thompson; 01-09-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Am I crazy, or do these pictures look ugly? (Asking for a friend.)

You can do all this stuff in a color-correction program, you know. No need to use a LUT at all -- but I have no issue with a custom-made LUT done with specific creative intent... provided it looks good, doesn't clip the whites, doesn't crush the blacks, and so on.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Marc,

This was basically just showing how to make a creative lut for the IPP2 Workflow. I just made up some quick "out of my ass" settings to make a unique look. I never tested it for technical accuracy. I think anyone making creative Luts for an IPP2 RWG/LOG3G10 workflow would take much more care and make sure that their Lut would meet the strictest of technically acceptable standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Redden View Post
    Thanks, Rand!

You're Welcome Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    This was basically just showing how to make a creative lut for the IPP2 Workflow. I just made up some quick "out of my ass" settings to make a unique look. I never tested it for technical accuracy. I think anyone making creative Luts for an IPP2 RWG/LOG3G10 workflow would take much more care and make sure that their Lut would meet the strictest of technically acceptable standards.
    I dunno. There's "a unique look," and then there's skug-ugly. I can turn three knobs in Resolve and get an equally-ugly look. I just don't think "creative LUTs" are useful used this way.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Marc,

You can also base a career as a colorist on turning just three knobs as well. You could also use a corrections you would normally use to normalize problem footage in the form of a "Creative Lut". They could be used to normalize footage from different light sources, from different times of day, and for color biases of different lenses. Creative Luts can be used for....whatever. You're only limited by your Imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I dunno. There's "a unique look," and then there's skug-ugly. I can turn three knobs in Resolve and get an equally-ugly look. I just don't think "creative LUTs" are useful used this way.
    How are they useful then.

OP was clearly making a quick example. There's something beautiful about that LUT, and it's not orange and blue. ... ;-)

To me luts are ppresets which I'd never use. Unless it was solving a problem or RED to ARRI lut which I find fascinating..

But yeah I'd use the one above for creative reasons.. Indeed.

Thanks Andrew!,

And yeah, It was only meant as an example to be experimented with in an IPP2 RWG/Log3G10 Project for whomever wanted to try 1 or both of two Luts I made. It only took about 2 to 3 minutes to make. They were never meant to be used for your next Netflix or Feature Film.

The sample Red Image from Phil Holland is composed of about three lighting sources, A bad scene to really base a "Creative Lut " around.

The sample image I used can be found 8 rows from the top of the RED Sample image Page

https://www.red.com/sample-r3d-files

If you truly want to design a creative Lut for yourself or for other persons it should be based on;

1) A properly Exposed Image

2) A properly white balanced image

3) An Image with good Skintones(Unless it's a Creative Lut designed to fix the Skintones)

4) Consist of as few Variables as need be to recreate the Look of the Lut.

To List a few. I started developing these Luts on an Image with an 800 ISO, 5000 Kelvin, and a -16.000 Tint. You probably would want to use the 800 ISO or a little more. However you should probably use a "0" Tint and a default Kelvin of maybe 5600K or 3200K or the Kelvin of whatever lighting scene/ scenario you will be designing the Lut for.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 01-11-2020 at 12:05 AM.