Thread: NETFLIX - Empire Rising: Ottoman

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dude I loved it....

There is no Cinematographer listed on IMDB. Major Omission. I didnt know you shot it. I watched the whole series in one sitting.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Thanks Timur! Means a lot coming from you. I'm working on updating IMDB now...I'm terrible at that stuff :)
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher S Johnson View Post
    Why did they choose to use an SW? Was it that much cheaper than the other options?
    Reasonable question...Our production company owns an army of Red cameras, but only Scarlets and Ravens. I'm happy to shoot 5K on a Dragon sensor for a Netflix deliverable. It does everything I want it to do and I'm very familiar with its characteristics. It also allowed us to use several cameras without affecting the budget. For example, even the Director was operating a camera during all the battle scenes, and some of the best shots are his!
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

I will say this.

I watched 8 seasons of game of thrones and left it feeling like i was cheated.

8 episodes of ROE: Ottoman i felt like i went on a journey that had purpose. You guys pulled off period well, and i know how hard that is. Honestly... im a bit upset you didn't call me to come shoot with you. especially with the subject matter ;)

But seriously, i like how He approached it. No good guys, no bad guys. Just that old school medieval mentality of destiny and prophecy. IT feels backwards today, but the historical interjections gave context to the decision making, and helped you as the viewer understand the momentum of the battle and the politics.
    Director Of Photography
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

If Timur says it is good I want to watch. I love everything I’ve seen of his.

Thank you Jagg. That means a lot to me. Go watch Ottomans! It’s a lot of fun.
    Director Of Photography
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    I will say this.

I watched 8 seasons of game of thrones and left it feeling like i was cheated.

8 episodes of ROE: Ottoman i felt like i went on a journey that had purpose. You guys pulled off period well, and i know how hard that is. Honestly... im a bit upset you didn't call me to come shoot with you. especially with the subject matter ;)

But seriously, i like how He approached it. No good guys, no bad guys. Just that old school medieval mentality of destiny and prophecy. IT feels backwards today, but the historical interjections gave context to the decision making, and helped you as the viewer understand the momentum of the battle and the politics.
    Hocam! Seni seviyorum. If we had any money you would have been there :) If I told you the budget on that project you wouldn't believe me. Let's hope there's a season two and I'll be sure to call you this time. Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

God i hope there is a season 2.
    Director Of Photography
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Dude, this looks bananas good. Reminds me of the OG amazing History Channel shows I used to make promos for - when they used hundreds of re-enactors in painstakingly accurate uniforms, etc.

SO GOOD!!!!

This is epic and awesome. A million congrats.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Clint,

EXCELLENT WORK!!!! I would be very proud to have shot that, it looks fantastic. I'm not going to comment on the writing decisions and such because I assume those are outside of your purview anyway, but the technical side of it, specifically the cinematography is outstanding. The framing and angles are creative, yet serve the scene without calling attention to themselves. I don't know what sets you shot in, but having worked in those historical locations in Turkey, I know it is difficult to frame without making scenes look repetitive or having to shoot close at all times. You managed to make the best out of the locations, and bring to the fore the one asset you had, which was excellent wardrobe. The lighting is truly excellent, helping sculpt the surfaces and textures, as well as the faces, and giving you a great sense of depth to all the shots. Yet, you can never feel the intrusion of lights as you feel subconsciously on so many pieces where your mind keeps going "that light's angle doesn't match the sun coming through the window, that's probably a par and it is too damn close", etc, etc, etc. I was telling one of my friends who's embarking on the daunting task of shooting a series with a low budget that he should look at this carefully and see how well you guys put every penny on the screen and how you managed to make it look like a big budget epic when I'm sure your budget was not that high. And I'm sure I'm already assuming your budget was much higher than it actually was :-) I also liked how the interviews were set up, each interviewed in a surrounding to match their personality, well lit, AND presented in fully saturated colors, something most other fiction/interview hybrids fail to do, showing the talking heads in ugly places and muted colors. The use of effect shots like slow-mo and POV is also judiciously mixed, never staying on for too long. Other than that, the casting was superb, every actor making the best of what the role could offer. Great job!

On another note, it made me miss Istanbul, haven't been there in a while and when I'm there I always promise myself never to go back to that chaos, yet, what a wonderful place that is....
    Rudi Herbert

www.UnderwaterCinema.com

A site about the equipment and techniques of the art of underwater cinematography