Thread: NETFLIX - Empire Rising: Ottoman

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rudi, thank you so much! That was a very thoughtful review and I appreciate your kindness. I'll be honest, it feels really nice to be acknowledged like that :)

Istanbul is a unique and special place...I love the chaos :)
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Dude, this looks bananas good. Reminds me of the OG amazing History Channel shows I used to make promos for - when they used hundreds of re-enactors in painstakingly accurate uniforms, etc.

SO GOOD!!!!

This is epic and awesome. A million congrats.
    Wow, thanks Nick! I remember all those promos you used to make...I'm glad to see Netflix picking up where History left off :)
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Lealos View Post
    Wow, thanks Nick! I remember all those promos you used to make...I'm glad to see Netflix picking up where History left off :)
    Haha those old spots were fun.

And glad you're the beneficiary of Netflix heading in this historic direction!

And...love that you keep rocking vintage glass!

So awesome.

A million kudos again, Clint.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

My wife and I loved it, wish there were more+ the story was great.

Edit: this question might be better for a historian, but how much of the story was true, and how much was embellished for cinematic purposes. I was just curious from a historical standpoint. I learned a lot from the show, I never heard that story before. Probably was skipping class that day lol.

This looks amazing. Will binge it over the weekend. Too good not to ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason beaumont View Post
    My wife and I loved it, wish there were more+ the story was great.

Edit: this question might be better for a historian, but how much of the story was true, and how much was embellished for cinematic purposes. I was just curious from a historical standpoint. I learned a lot from the show, I never heard that story before. Probably was skipping class that day lol.
    Glad you and your wife enjoyed it!

That's a great question. Like every story, how much of it is true depends on who you are talking to. The parts people bump up against are usually scenes that are vital to the telling of the story, but lack any evidence of what actually occurred. For example, how Constantine died is anybody's guess. We heard one historian say he was probably trampled to death by his own men trying to get back in the city gate as the Ottomans were over running their defenses. Another said Constantine likely died in battle. Others say he could have escaped. His body was never found is the only thing we know. We told the story that seemed the most plausible, while taking into account everything we had learned about the man he was. Could we be wrong about how it went down? Yes. Did we lie? No. Is it accurate? Maybe.

Some of the speeches by Mehmed (Sultan) and Constantine (Emperor) were pulled straight from historical records. All of the tactics used in battle were factual. You haven't heard that story because they didn't teach it to us :)
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Lealos View Post
    Some of the speeches by Mehmed (Sultan) and Constantine (Emperor) were pulled straight from historical records. All of the tactics used in battle were factual. You haven't heard that story because they didn't teach it to us :)
    My wife and I (she director and Greek) love it. Which is a testament to the series because as a Greek then you'd know a lot about the much loathed Ottoman empire. History is written by the victors usually but different cultures will have different stories handed down. This was really well done and the drama helped it enormously.

I understand it was on a budget so you did amazingly well for that.

Will there be others?

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome