Thread: OpenLUX Open Source LED Film Light

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 OpenLUX Open Source LED Film Light 
    Hey all! Excited to share a project I've been working on for a while! This is an 80W, LED hard light that is designed to look great on camera and provide a platform for custom fixtures and modding. It's entirely open source, runs Arduino code, and only costs about $150 (less in higher quantities.)

The motivation for making this this was working with so many G&E departments that love building their own gear, but are limited by the resources they have access to on set. The result is you see things like Litegear strips taped onto Coroplast rather than properly engineered fixtures. My goal was to provide an extensible platform that solves all the major issues associated with a light of this type, leaving people free to build and experiment with a much better starting point.

Features:
    • Bowens mount compatible
    • Accepts Ledil fresnel lenses
    • Full Color LCD Display Menu
    • Overtemp Protection
    • 8Khz PWM Rate (Can be increased to 10Khz)
    • Runs Arduino Code

Specs:
    • 2700K-6500K Adjustable Color Temp
    • 95CRI Average
    • 150 Lux @20ft w/ medium lens (100% brightness, 4700K temp, Turbo Mode)
    • 9-28V input
    • 3 amps max for linear dimming, 6 amps max for Turbo mode

More info and all files can be found at: https://github.com/MadlyFX/OpenLUX-LED-Video-Light
    Fusion 360 Assembly: https://a360.co/2Nx0XiO

MadlyFX Special Effects
    Chicago, IL
    IMDb
    andy@madlyfx.com

Hey Andy, this project is looking good !! Has it been tested or reviewed at all? Is it available for sale online? Thanks
    A contradiction is not a sign of defeat. It marks the beginning of a start towards progress.

What's interesting about this project is that the form factor suggest that you could attach a v-mount plate directly to the body of the light.
    Traditionally, you have a seperate controller/v-mount unit with most LED fresnels. This unit could be a very compact all-in-one solution.
    You should think about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    Hey Andy, this project is looking good !! Has it been tested or reviewed at all? Is it available for sale online? Thanks
    Thanks! I've personally been testing it myself for a few weeks, and you can look up the photometrics of both the LED (CTM-22) and lenses (Ledil Molly) online. No plans to sell them, but I may at some point offer DIY kits.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    What's interesting about this project is that the form factor suggest that you could attach a v-mount plate directly to the body of the light.
    Traditionally, you have a seperate controller/v-mount unit with most LED fresnels. This unit could be a very compact all-in-one solution.
    You should think about this...
    I think that's certainly a possibility. The light is smaller than a v-mount, but it could be underslung. Getting an all in one solution was important to me, even though making an external control box would certainly have allowed a smaller head.
    MadlyFX Special Effects
    Chicago, IL
    IMDb
    andy@madlyfx.com