Thread: whats your data transfer/ wrengling time time?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 whats your data transfer/ wrengling time time? 
    Hello folks am new Helium owner and am setting up my data wrangling/ backup computer. at the moment i am running low on Minimags so i need to offload in the field. I have 2015 Mackbook Air with one Thunderbolt2 port and 2 USB3 ports running latest Shotput Pro. i did several sorts of tests. form single 480GB MiniMag that had 438.69GB on to single SSD to single spinning Lacie (Rugged Thunderbolt drive). I tried to to double drives, different cables, different ports combination and regardless of what i do i have same copping times; around 1h 20min. I am no computer geek but i just dont understand how come my transfer time is the same form Minimag to SSD as to a spinning drive can be the same. regardless if i use Thunderbolt2 and USB3 or USB3 to USB3 connection i would have same time again. i imagined that bottleneck of the system would be the drive but it looks like its a Minimag or the reader. i will try with faster SSD but i have a feeling that this is it for me.

what is normal? what are you guys getting in terms of transfers on similar setups for 480minimag?

finally is there anything i can improve this on my setup or the only way is to go Tandeerbolt3 with external 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD?

thanks

Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

I think shot put pro doubles your transfer time. Based on that your ”real” transfer speed is 40min. I have not done these calculation in a while but I think thats is pretty much equal to your highest transferspeed to/from your card.

I never used anything else than drag and drop copy and did atleast a thousand cards with no loss. Nothing I should recommend, but my own theory is the quicker transfer time alone will govern for less lost clips than fiddling around with sage copies, but dont take my word for it.

;)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks Bjorn i did drag and drop test as well same time. it appears longer as i cant monitor exact time. Also i did shot-put with one and 2 drives . double drive is just bit longer like 15% or so. so far i did Macbook Air and my 2017 Imac as well, different cables drives combo... more less all the same. only thing that i didnt change and only thing that was in all the tests is my Minimag reader
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Been a hot minute since I've done an offload speed test, but 1TB Mini-Mags are around 27-35 min for a full mag with a dedicated USB Bus and no bottle necks on where you are writing to.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Adrian Weinbrecht's Avatar
    Hey Luka

I’d suggest downloading the Blackmagic speed test app, link below:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/blackm...25264550?mt=12

Some SSDS are not very fast, it depends on the bridge and connection, cables can also have a huge impact. Just because something has a particular connection it doesn’t mean it’s using all the speed of that connection, not all cables are created equal. Use the speed test to test the disk speeds.

Lastly check your offload preferences for ShotPut pro, I think we use MD5 checksum.

My 512 cards take about 14minutes to offload.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

My full 480s times are <20 min usually to SSDs using my macbook pro with Hedge. A couple times where it's been slow, what fixed it was a computer restart the first time, 2nd time was a brand new drive that was formatted fat32, formatting back to exfat solved that. I second what Adrian said, you should speed test the drives.

Aha, yes tested now my cards to a 6 hdd raid is about 22 min.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I've observed a tendency for Macs to downgrade the USB3 connection to USB2 "just because". I switched to Sonnet TB3 readers in part for this reason.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I use the Red speed reader for my minimags offloading to glyph 2tb or 4tb Raid 0 SSD's on my 2017 MacBook Pro. With no bottlenecks its <18min for a full 480gb mag, sometimes faster depending on the mood of my computer. Yesterday I had a situation where a USBC cable that came with a Western Digital drive was bottlenecking offloads so bad is what taking an hour for less than 100gb transfers. I tossed that cable. Definitely be mindful of your cables.

My main issue are the USBC ports on my MacBook Pro - if you breath on them, the drives eject. I have to have them replaced, its quite a nightmare.
    DSMC2 Helium #000043 "Violet"

Denton Film, LLC