Thread: Red Undead Not Working

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Undead Not Working 
    Yooooo,

My AC wiped a full 512 mini mag without downloading the footage and we ended up shooting 33 gigs on it before he noticed. Never happened to me before in 15 years of shooting. Thereís a first for everything! Ha.

Iíve tried two separate OS X systems and it keeps saving the 33 gigs of shots through terminal. Nothing from A001. Just A002 files. Iím going to try Windows next. Does anyone have any tricks or other software that can save the files?

Best,
    Alex

Alex,

Was your Redmag formatted UDF or FAT? If you are using UDF RedUndead will not work unless there has been an update I have missed? RedUndead is still in beta ??? and has always felt like the ugly step child and has had poor written support and feels like it is largely ignored by Red without an update since 2017. Its a shame as it is incredibly useful tool if disaster comes your way.
    Alex your post is a bit confusing are you saying you have tried RedUndead on two OSX systems and the deleted files have not shown up? Assuming you have a FAT formatted magazine reach out to Red support for help. I have not used it for years but there was an omission in the RedUndead manual on the command string. Check out this Red Support article as it has the "sudo" command added into the Terminal string.

If you have a UDF formatted drive you will need to look to third parties but Red Support may be able to offer up some suggestions.
    Tom Gleeson

I’m FAT formatted and have tried the sudo command. There is a company that can get the data back but they are asking too much for rescuing the data. I talked to Red and Tanner specifically and they offered no insight on how to fix it. No solution at all.

Alex,

Thats disappointing. Did Tanner say that Redundead was no longer supported or working? Is it possible that your AC did a "secure format" on the drive? Do you know the procedure he used to delete the data?
    Tom Gleeson

Outside of Red's tools one of the better data recovery software tools is Restorer Ultimate from bitMart. That said I have never needed to use it with a Red card because Redundead has always worked for me. I hope you are able to find a way to get the files back.