Thread: Helium or Gemini?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'm just sitting on the sidelines, but I think you made the right choice by choosing the Gemini.

Is there really a need for 8K? If so, you should rent, unless of course you have the money to buy a Helium or even a Monstro. IMHO!
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

2. #12 Can't go wrong 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    I have both the Helium and Gemini - you really cant go wrong with either. I still love my helium a lot.
    I have and love both, as well. The Gemini is more versatile. With the LL mode and less of a crop factor at high speeds, it's a better all-around camera. But the Helium image is spectacular.

I won't say that the Gemini isn't sharp (cuz it still is), or that the Helium isn't quite great in low light (cuz it still is), but there are advantages to both, and you just need to be honest about which are more important to you.

I use the Gemini more often, because of the versatility. But I PREFER to use the Helium when I can....the image is just ridiculous. If you shoot controlled environments, go Helium. If you run-n-gun, go Gemini.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    I have both the Helium and Gemini - you really cant go wrong with either. I still love my helium a lot.
    wow! i need to buy a couple of zoom for run and gun use, but except the EZ Angenieux, i didn't find anything else...suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Leone View Post
    wow! i need to buy a couple of zoom for run and gun use, but except the EZ Angenieux, i didn't find anything else...suggestions?
    When you go 5K WS, the Optimo T2.8 compact zooms do well on Gemini. In 5K HD, there is slight vignetting on the wide end. At 4.5K or 4K they are perfect! Which is about as much resolution as a Mini LF, and totally netflix approved, and standard s35 size, plus you get higher frame rate options, if you think about it. And the iso3200LL turns the T2.8 into some fast glass!

And the Angeniuex anamorphic zoom looks spectacular too!
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Mann View Post
    I have and love both, as well. The Gemini is more versatile. With the LL mode and less of a crop factor at high speeds, it's a better all-around camera. But the Helium image is spectacular.

I won't say that the Gemini isn't sharp (cuz it still is), or that the Helium isn't quite great in low light (cuz it still is), but there are advantages to both, and you just need to be honest about which are more important to you.

I use the Gemini more often, because of the versatility. But I PREFER to use the Helium when I can....the image is just ridiculous. If you shoot controlled environments, go Helium. If you run-n-gun, go Gemini.
    Thanks for your comment Gabriel! Why you define the Gemini more versatile? Helium could be perfect for me but there are 2 important reasons: low light is really too terrible compared with Gemini? I coming from the Scarlet-w wich is not a real good choice for low light, the other question is the crop factor, with 7k or 6k resolution the Helium has a terrible crop..these are the only 2 points where i still not 100% sure.

Whan the Gemini came out and we had the chance to upgrade from the Epic-W to either Gemini or Helium DSMC2 we went for the Helium.
    The reason was simple. When we shoot on the Red we mostly have time to build out ideas and define what we want on paper. We have choice over light and can create nice scenes.
    The Red goes with projects that give us the time to prep the location to get out everything of that 8k sensor.
    I did never regret the decision. The images and the color gives me what I always searched for.
    Clear images with an insane amount of detail, great colors all in one of the best formats out there.

For documentary or scenarios where you have to be fast, we would not use a Red most of the time.
    We need to travel light and be as quick as possible to react to things that happen arround us.
    But if a client wanted it shot on Red right now, I´d pick a Gemini over Helium at any time.

High ISOs are super handy when it comes to shoots were lighting simply is not possible or if there
    is no time to set something up.

So both Sensors have there clear advantages.
    The question is not whats better but what jobs are you going to do more I think.
    All we need is magination, a brain, a lens & a minimag

"ERIKA" RED HELIUM DSMC2 #0008325

PORTFILIO | ECN STUDIOS

You should be aware that Helium will be considerably sharper than the Gemini since it will be 8k downsampled to 4k. You also have the possibility to crop in which is something we use very often. It is extremely useful to be able to zoom in 200% and pick out details.
    Gemini is about 1.3 stops better in the dark than Helium so not a massive difference, but it is there of course. So ISO 2000 on Helium is like ISO 6400 on Gemini.

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Helium.

Unless you're docs only.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    You should be aware that Helium will be considerably sharper than the Gemini since it will be 8k downsampled to 4k.
    Not with those zooms.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Not with those zooms.
    why?