View Poll Results: Which cameras color do you prefer form the Full Frame Cinema Shootout 2020

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll

54 73.97%

2 2.74%

9 12.33%

2 2.74%

0 0%

1 1.37%

3 4.11%

1 1.37%

1 1.37%

Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Full Frame Cinema Shootout 2020...

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    So a horrible film shot on #1 would do better in theaters than an excellent film shot on #5, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    Damn, there is only 01:30 left in the poll but it's 1AM here. I just can't stay awake to see the mystery unveiled, but I'm guessing 1 is Monstro and 3 is Alexa LF ?
    It closes in just under 24 hours from now. Go to sleep :)

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    It's Friday! What's the skinny?
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Gemini, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

1, 3, 5, and 7 in the first test look great! It’s interesting to see how you can’t go too wrong on the higher end though. I saw a comparison Potato Jet did on YouTube between the C500 Mark II and the Canon RF camera in 4K and the RF was just like the 5D Mark II versus high end HD at the time, details were just so mushy! Can’t wait to see the final reveal on this test, I’m sure some of my choices were an ARRI camera of some sort but I’m pulling for Sony too.

Probably not a big surprise but here's the order, I'll have a labeled video up in a few days, just go booked for the weekend though.
    1. Arri Alexa Mini LF
    2. Canon Eos C500mII
    3. Red Monstro
    4. Sigma FP
    5. Sony FX9 (S-Cinetone)
    6. Sony FX9 (S-Log3)
    7. Sony Venice
    8. Red Gemini
    9. Red Helium
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360º Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    Probably not a big surprise but here's the order, I'll have a labeled video up in a few days, just go booked for the weekend though.
    1. Arri Alexa Mini LF
    2. Canon Eos C500mII
    3. Red Monstro
    4. Sigma FP
    5. Sony FX9 (S-Cinetone)
    6. Sony FX9 (S-Log3)
    7. Sony Venice
    8. Red Gemini
    9. Red Helium
    Looks like Luigi wins :)

So 5 was Cinetone and 6 was Slog 3? Not at all what I guessed when comparing directly with Venice. Cinetone kinda kills blue saturation, especially compared to every other camera except Sigma. So that's why my guess was that was where a third party LUT was coming in. Interesting...

I'm also surprised to find out that all the RED footage was processed with the Light Iron Color 2 LUT. I expected something with blues skewed far more cyan and yellows pushed orange than what we see in this test. At least, that's what the LUTs floating around this forum labeled DXL2 LUT would lead you to believe.

All I know is that Alexa's Rec709 look is damn good out of the box.
    Last edited by Aaron Lochert; 02-06-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks Evin for the reveal!! But I always thought that the Alexa wasn't that good at lowlight, how were you able to recover the -6 underexposure so well? If I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Thanks Evin for the reveal!! But I always thought that the Alexa wasn't that good at lowlight, how were you able to recover the -6 underexposure so well? If I may ask?
    All I did was increase exposure in the RAW controls in Resolve, I think the higher key of the studio test masked the noise a little. Also this being the LF the magnifications is a bit lower compared to the Plus/mini. The cameras that most surprised me were the Gemini and Sigma FP. I've shot with the Gemini before but it really drove home why I like it in the low light test, I think that was my personal favorite in the last two tests. The FX9 AF is also game changing, that bodes really well for the Komodo too.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360º Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Evin,

Thanks for taking the time for the explanation! I think the Gemini did better than the Monstro in the +6 Overexposure test as well. I think the Sigma FP, for about a $2000 camera, did really good. It just need a little more Color Science tweaking as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    So a horrible film shot on #1 would do better in theaters than an excellent film shot on #5, right?
    Well no, but you would want to make your film the best it possibly could. And the alexa LF looks the most amazing, and even if it would only help 5% getting submerged into the characters/story more. It would already be worth that for most.
    (not to mention saving time in post making it look great)