Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 549 of 580 FirstFirst ... 49449499539545546547548549550551552553559 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,490 of 5797
    I know the camera was never meant to be an A cam, and is what it is, and seems to be doing it well...but for adventure and action sports shooters like me its size means you have made my 90% perfect ever camera, If it could get a touch better frame rates it would be unbeatable, hands down.

Is the reason it doesn't have a touch higher FPS down to hardware/power draw limits or is it a choice to not tread on DSMC2 toes?

Would it be possible too up frame rates:

Via paid upgrade as not to step on higher-end cameras in the line-up. Give users the choice of base, or upgrading it.

When only using Vlock or DCI power do you get the option to shoot higher frame rates? Assuming power draw on normal Canon batteries is the issue.

Only using Prores/higher compression ratios. Just trying to reduce the computing power needed. If heat/data rates are the issues.

All that said the key resolutions/Frame rates I would LOVE would be:

4k 96 or even better 4k 120, no matter how it may be possible.
    If not 3k 96? Feel this one may be realistic?
    2k 150/170?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Gibbins View Post
    ... Is the reason it doesn't have a touch higher FPS down to hardware/power draw limits or is it a choice to not tread on DSMC2 toes? ...
    No, it's just physics. tiny package with a crapload of processing power.
    I can only imagine that the signal processing unit is taking a beating each time the global shutter (instant readout of the entire sensor) is offloading each frame.
    Actually, with higher compression ratios you multiply the computing power necessary.

Do not quote me on the following, as I am not an expert on the inner workings of RED sensors or the REDCODE process

To oversimplify:

For REDCODE
    -------------------------- <- Photosites
    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | <- Bayer pattern - Instant offload of Sensor data
    R3D REDCODE RAW <- Compression of the Bayer pattern

For ProRes
    -------------------------- <- Photosites
    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | <- Bayer pattern - Instant offload of Sensor data
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <- Processing Bayer data to 4:2:2
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ <- Scaling the image to 4K or 2K (I am speculating: blur to reduce aliasing and then nearest neighbour image reduction, both of which are rather intensive processes)
    ProRes Codec <- Compression to ProRes

I don't think power draw is an issue. if you overheat the boards, then you risk introducing artefacts.

Though, we cannot rule out the possibility of there being a future board upgrade option.

But for now, 3K @ 96fps (or thereabouts) might be possible since we have 4K @ 60FPS and 2K @ 120fps as Jarred already mentioned in this same legendarily long Komodo thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    ...you already all know the frame rates. 6k 40fps, 4k 60fps, 2k 120fps...
    Purely from a math standpoint, we might be able to get around 96FPS at 3K :)
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

I think the best "action" camera right now is the iPhone 11. It's only 1080p but it cranks to 240fps and looks great. It also is with me all of the time, does not require an exotic battery or charger, does not scream "I'm filming this", and creates a very manageable, easily moved file. It does not seem to have heat issues. It's not cinema grade but I would not be surprised to find that many clips haven ended up in published work.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I think the best "action" camera right now is the iPhone 11. It's only 1080p but it cranks to 240fps and looks great. It also is with me all of the time, does not require an exotic battery or charger, does not scream "I'm filming this", and creates a very manageable, easily moved file. It does not seem to have heat issues. It's not cinema grade but I would not be surprised to find that many clips haven ended up in published work.
    I hear you, the best camera is the one you have on you. Thats why I am disappointed that they Hydrogen Ecosystem did not take off ...

I am more than happy to get a Komodo though, it suits my professional needs beyond what I need at a price I can afford. (But I still want more, human nature.)
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    They discussed it a bit in the live stream the other day. Those kinds of things are being discussed and will be coming in some form. I can't tell you which ones or what their functionality will be, but it's safe to say that the current Komodos are missing lots of these little features for the sake of testing the basic functions first. More and more features will be implemented over time to make sure the firmware remains stable.

We're sort of in a "wait and see" sort of period, which I know isn't the most exciting answer. But at least there is still more to come. I've only heard of three hardware limits so far: high framerates, ProRes+.R3d files at the same time, and battery draw (they have to always ensure the camera doesn't draw more amps than the Canon BP's are capable of outputting).

Hope that helps.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

I for one am excited about Komodo, but not as some sort of high frame rate action cam or cheaper, entry level Red.

I’m a narrative filmmaker shooting primarily on Helium. I am stoked about being able to get the ‘looking out of the microwave’ shot without calling the Art Department, or sticking a second angle on a hood mounted car rig without 2 hours of rigging, all while staying in high resolution R3D’s! No more GoPro’s or consumer DJI drone footage - I can’t wait.

I plan to have mine mounted on RC Car rigs, bicycle rigs - all manner of places I just can’t easily stick a DSMC2. Hell, I may even resurrect my Kite rig from the day.

Exciting times!!

This camera deserve more high speed action packed footage to showcase its global shutter capabilities!
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    This camera deserve more high speed action packed footage to showcase its global shutter capabilities!
    Coming soon!
    From Drones, cars, yachts... heck even from the macro world!
    Soon as I get my Crazy Coloured one!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

I'll be using the Komodo as an A-Cam as will many others. Simple as that.

Remember the Alexa Mini was designed to be a B-Cam/SteadyCam Cam and nothing more.

We all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bishop View Post
    I'll be using the Komodo as an A-Cam as will many others. Simple as that.

Remember the Alexa Mini was designed to be a B-Cam/SteadyCam Cam and nothing more.

We all know how that turned out.
    THIS. Yes. A thousand times YES.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...