Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 548 of 581 FirstFirst ... 48448498538544545546547548549550551552558 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 5810
    At this point, with all these third party raw formats, couldn’t red do a full sensor readout line skipped or otherwise? Since a TON of cameras do this? I understand the mission was to never downsample but MANY things have changed over the years, and it IS. A new era. Especially with Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    At this point, with all these third party raw formats, couldn’t red do a full sensor readout line skipped or otherwise? Since a TON of cameras do this? I understand the mission was to never downsample but MANY things have changed over the years, and it IS. A new era. Especially with Komodo.
    why?
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    why?
    +1. Can't think of any reason I would want this.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Are you suggesting that Red should have a downsampled RAW format? If so, that's a no from me, dawg. Nobody should have a downsampled RAW format. And I don't agree with line skipping either.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Line skipping is what several other brands have been criticized for quite a bit. A ton of cameras do in fact do this, but it’s never been seen as something that’s desirable.
    Scarlet-W

Because as you see first time red users are asking about it. Would I take a hit on the RESOLUTION BUT NOT FRAME to have higher FPS?

Yes.

Everyone has their ‘dream list or wants’ believe me a lot of other peoples requests are irrelevant to me. What is relevant is “2k cropped at 120.’ At THIS POINT, now that RED IS NOT USING PROPRIETARY MEDIA OR MONITORS, Komodo is a different way of thinking. I’ll take my answer off the air.

Ps I have owned other reds please don’t tell me I want an X camera. I want to not crop in thanks. AND I ONLY MENTION THIS after reading people ask about it. Now that we have ‘flavors of raw,’ and better processing technology. Let me guess, you also don’t want a small top touch screen with ability for monitoring, because that’s not pro right. Like I said I have years of windowed slo mo kinda in the past at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Genova View Post
    Line skipping is what several other brands have been criticized for quite a bit. A ton of cameras do in fact do this, but it’s never been seen as something that’s desirable.

Yes I know that’s why I mentioned it specially. I believe people were all up on canon and ARRI (?) for doing it on these boards. Well both those companies are contenders. I really have only shot red. Those customers seem to be happy with the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    why?
    Well, one reason would be to maintain a specific angle of view at a higher frame rate or lower resolution. (Though the latter issue is solved by ProRes in DSMC2, I guess.)

If that's not a trade-off you'd want to make, that's cool. But there are times when it'd be nice to be able to switch to a high frame rate without switching lenses or significantly reframing.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    If I understand the Bayer filter correctly, this is how the lines look like:

GREEN RED GREEN RED GREEN RED
    GREEN BLUE GREEN BLUE GREEN BLUE

Line skipping, AFAIK, works two lines at a time. So every line pair is skipped, not just every line. That's baaaaaad. Maybe the X-Trans pattern would be better?

I do get the reason why you want line skipping, though. If it's an option you will find that people use it, but the appropriate cautions would have to be given explicitly.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Wait, which cameras do downsample their RAW ?
    To my knowledge, neither Arri, Canon, Sony, Blackmagic nor Kinefinity do that when shooting RAW. (well, Kinefinity says on the specs of the Mavo LF that it does shoot 2K Downsampled RAW but it's a typo)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...