Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 538 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 5372
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Not final yet. But very close.
    Thank you!

Jared!

Going out on a whim to ask if the phase detection auto focus will stack up to say a 1DX Mii Dual Pixel? Can’t wait wait for this cam :D

They wont ruin your Red cam...but it probably wont start it. MOST of the 3rd party BP batteries use the cheaper cells that can't sustain the amps needed for Komodo. The Canons do. I guess technically the canons are still 3rd party... at least to us.. but yeah.
    These Swits are reasonably priced (47Wh, $89) and have an accessory power output and charge indicator - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ent.html/specs. Max 30W / 4A which I'm guessing is enough for Komodo if it runs for hours and hours on a pair of batteries. Can you tell us the power requirements yet?

I keep adding things to Komodo
    OOOOOO I like the sound of this LOL.

Shut up and take my money!!
    Red Raven #001827
    Hydrogen One Houdini #0058
    Canon 5DMKiii
    Canon EOS R
    Rokinon Cine DS Primes
    Digital Sputniks with Pixel Mapping, Hives, Quasars, Litepanels Gemini, Arri 750s
    Dji Ronin, Cloud Mount, Motion Control, Dana Dolly
    https://www.instagram.com/galacticowboy/
    https://www.twitch.tv/galacticowboy

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    heh heh.. the only ones that I can get in trouble is with you all , so don't worry about me.

And I am not criticizing DXO or anyone else.... not sure how this conversation went down that road.. But measuring Dynamic Range as I said is very much subjective and all depends on how you measure.

If you have ever shot a latitude chart, opened the files and then started counting the boxes you almost always say an "ish" for the very last 1/2 , 1/4 or 1/8th of a stop. the value of the "Ish" is the subjective part.

And... As much as you would assume that Engineering measures conservatively and then Marketing turns that into something higher.... It is actually usually the other way around. There is a difference between technical dynamic range and visible dynamic range. As much as some may think our numbers are inflated, marketing actually ( usually ) ends up falling on the visible side. To me the only important number is visible.. the amount of stops you can actually stuff in your image, subjective or not. I think Phil did a article a few years ago actually testing visible DR between the sensors.

Anyways... The comparison is much more telling than the numbers. It takes the subjectivity out of it.. If you shoot a chart shot with Monstro and Gemini and Helium and Komodo , all side by side, the difference between them, at least to me, is a much better reference than just counting the boxes.. When you compare the difference between you generally are equalizing your own subjectivity . your own definition of "ish" is measured across all.

Typical scenario shooting with Komodo: low-light (practical lights) at ISO1600 at 6K for a 4K downsample. What would we end up in usable DR without getting tons of noise? Is 14-15 stops accurate or less?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fiorino View Post
    Jared!

Going out on a whim to ask if the phase detection auto focus will stack up to say a 1DX Mii Dual Pixel? Can’t wait wait for this cam :D
    That’s a good question, but we’ll probably have to wait till it’s out in the open to see an answer. It’s such an exciting time to be a cinematographer. So many tools with so many improvements being announced on (what seems like) a daily basis.
    William Howell
    Senior Creative and Multimedia Producer
    Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    www.ihmc.us
    https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...ics-walk-again

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Yup... and you are probably right.

Remember I created the RAVEN for a specific application as well.. Raven was supposed to be a small market lighter/cheaper camera for use on drones ( hence the name Raven ) but that camera quickly turned into an A camera darling for a lot of independents and side markets. It's becoming pretty apparent that Komodo is following the same path ... before it's even released.
    This is where I'm coming from. There are lots of people trying to "hack" production, reducing the number of people necessary for a shoot, lowering the carrying burden of a huge amount of gear.

I've organized a setup where I only have one bag of lenses, one case with the camera; all batteries; ND filters; mattebox and a hand rig together with a third bag for the tripod. All in all, I can move, by myself an entire lineup of equipment for a basic tripod/handheld shoot. But I still feel bound by the lack of ability to carry even more. I want to be able to have a small gimbal and a motion control slider within this setup and even though a DSMC2 is small, it's in the end quite big.

So Komodo is the answer to all of that as an A cam. Because of its size, it doesn't require gear that can carry heavier loads or power needs and because of internal ND's I won't have a need for the mattebox and ND filters. I could fit all my gear in one case, maybe even my lenses; then another bag with the tripod and slider. If the autofocus is working good enough I might not even have to have my follow focus for some shoots. It becomes the ultimate setup for small productions without ditching image quality. Previously we've only been able to choose between high-end image quality or less complicated shoots, but with Komodo, it combines both into one.

This is why I look at Komodo as an A-cam, even if its initial intention never was. Bigger cameras are often on productions with enough budget to just rent those cameras, while the world of owner-operators with Reds and Alexas are shrinking due to the competition from Sony and Blackmagic. So having a reasonably priced, small, lightweight Red that enables lighter gimbals and sliders while still being 6K at close to the same DR as regular Reds, is in my opinion, not a "complimentary camera", it's a straight A-cam for people like me. And I think it will sell like ice-cream on a hot day for that reason alone.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Jarred will Komodo have IPP2 and the ability to load LUT’s?
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Lyles View Post
    Jarred will Komodo have IPP2 and the ability to load LUT’s?
    That's a good question. it is so obvious I sure hope it has it.
    Otherwise it would be just like DSMC1 single display Lemo port after the Red One had two. A little WTF.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fiorino View Post
    Jared!

Honestly... Not a chance... This is our first time with PDAF. Canon's been perfecting it for years. Luckily all PDAF falls in the same... ballpark but yeah I am willing to bet it will take us a few firmware updates to really get it right.