Thread: Testing new native RF mount 1.8x Anamorpic lens

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Testing new native RF mount 1.8x Anamorpic lens 
    UPDATE ** Now taking orders! https://evereststudios.square.site/p...ns/207?cs=true **

So I'm an authorized dealer for Vazen and I've been working close with them to help us get more affordable options for anamorphic lenses for Komodo users...

Right now I'm testing a native RF version of their M4/3 1.8x 40mm T2.0 - This is priced way below their new Full Frame 85mm T2.8 PL lens, so it will be hugely welcome for our use, however there is no official prices released yet for this or time for availability. As a dealer I'll be checking the market to see who will be interested in purchasing these. Eventually I'm sure we will take pre-orders of them. Till then testing will be ongoing.

This is a prototype so there are some limitations, however I can give you guys some interesting specs:

1. Same optics as their MFT mount 1.8x 40mm T2.0 lens
    2. It is almost identical in size and weight to the MFT mount version as well
    3. The image circle DOES cover Komodo in 6K 17:9 once you crop the sides off of the image for a 4:3 proper de-squeeze to 2.39:1. There is a TINY amount of acceptable vignetting on the extreme corners once de-squeezed, however if you go to 6K 16:9 this goes away completely.
    4. The prototype I have currently does not have an iris mechanism, so it's "wide open" if not slightly more... So making it currently a T1.8 (ish) lens, but this does effect sharpness a bit and is not representative of a final T2.0 with proper iris.
    5. This prototype has a 3D printed and machined white plastic half, so it needs to be covered with light blocking materials in order to use correctly or the bleed through from the plastic with allow some odd effects. We are modding this prototype and covering it with 100% light blocking tape, so we can do full testing without issues with the image. So in the photos you'll notice the lens is covered until I have modified it.

This is all EXCELLENT news. I've spoken to RED directly about getting an anamorphic beta for 6K 4:3 with 1.8x and 2x options and unfortunately one isn't available yet. But I'll keep on it. To view live de-squeezed and cropped image I used a CineEye wireless transmitter to iPad Pro 12.9". Their wireless software has both 1.8x de-squeeze and a crop-to-cut off the sides. This gives you a view of a perfect image without distracting side info that wont be in the final image.

I'll be testing what I can with this lens and report on this thread my findings.

IMG_6491

IMG_6511

IMG_6489
    Last edited by J. Orlandi; 11-16-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Canon FD SSC (K35) Primes, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Below are the first round of tests for lens coverage for its image circle...

Here's how the test was performed. A white piece of opaque plastic was placed directly in front of the front element of the lens. A bright light was shined from 8 feet away casting an even illumination across the plastic, giving a solid white image to photograph with the Vazen lens.

The komodo was set to 3 different settings. 6K 17:9, 6K HD (16:9), and 5K 17:9 These images were recorded to the komodo at HQ. The lens was racked from infinity to close focus for each test.

The "worst" coverage part of the image from each test was used for coverage... Example: Vazen 40mm breaths a bit and so I used the most extreme end of whatever the breathing was to show the worst case scenario of coverage.

The raw images were imported into FinalCut Pro X with a custom timeline according to 8K DCP size which keeps the exact Komodo image height for 6K 17:9 which is 3240 and the anamorphic 1.8x stretch to 7680x3240.

Within the timeline I applied a 180% stretch to the X axis to de-squeeze the anamorphic image 1.8x. The frame was then exported directly out of FCPX using "export frame" directly from timeline.

These frames below were the result after proper cropping and the before below that. As you can see below the coverage is perfectly acceptable for a regular 2.39:1 de-squeeze and crop for theatrical use with the Vazen 40mm T2.0. There is the tiniest bit of darkening at the extreme corners of the 6K 17:9 frame, but not easily seen. So if red implements a simple 4:3 6K mode which just crops off the sides of full image, the coverage is covered just fine and makes an excellent lens for Komodo and other s35mm sensors. I'm talking to Vazen about also adding a Sony E Mount option as well which opens this lens up to many many more cameras on the market with Super 35mm sensors. And finally a 65mm version of this lens is on its way as well, with a similar build size and quality to the 40mm T2.0.

DE-SQUEEZED IMAGES for 2.39:1 DCI standard

8K timeline ana 1-8x 6K 17-9

8K timeline ana 1-8x 6K 16-9

8K timeline ana 1-8x 5K 17-9

RAW IMAGES BEFORE DE-SQUEEZE:

6K 17:9 raw coverage
    A003_A010_09094Y

6K HD (16:9) raw coverage
    A003_A009_0909MA

5K 17:9 raw coverage
    A003_A011_0909SC
    Last edited by J. Orlandi; 09-09-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Canon FD SSC (K35) Primes, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Very excited to see the progression of this. You can count me in as being interested in an RF mount for the Vazen anamorphics! Both the 40mm and 65mm

This is super cool. Would love to see where this goes.

Have you been able to find any RF to MFT mounts? Or is this your 3D print to try and fill the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Anthony Dudek View Post
    Very excited to see the progression of this. You can count me in as being interested in an RF mount for the Vazen anamorphics! Both the 40mm and 65mm
    Excellent, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    This is super cool. Would love to see where this goes.

Have you been able to find any RF to MFT mounts? Or is this your 3D print to try and fill the void?
    unfortunately there is no physical possibility of an RF to MFT mount adapter. The flange difference is Negative 0.3mm. This is a 3D printed prototype the engineers at Vazen has sent me to test and provide with feedback and check / gauge public interest. There are some issues with this 3D print, so another prototype will be worked on as well until we get it right.

So far you can expect the exact same image quality, sharpness, etc from the production MFT 40mm T2.0, which is great. It's just a simple redesign of the rear mechanical attachment of the lens to remove 3mm while maintaining the flange distance.
    Last edited by J. Orlandi; 11-26-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

So native RF instead of RF to MFT. No idea when this could be more widely available? I have an action film I’m directing in South Africa in November/December, depending on when the country opens up for international travel. We want to shoot anamorphic and I have a Ranger Helium as well as a Komodo Stormtrooper. if you have anything we can play with by then, we would definitely be down to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    So native RF instead of RF to MFT. No idea when this could be more widely available? I have an action film I’m directing in South Africa in November/December, depending on when the country opens up for international travel. We want to shoot anamorphic and I have a Ranger Helium as well as a Komodo Stormtrooper. if you have anything we can play with by then, we would definitely be down to test.
    We just might be able to have them for sale by then. We are talking every day with Vazen to get a timeline, and will update when we are able to start pre-orders!

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Niiiice!

BTW since you're in good communication with Vazen, I'm hoping someone can pass the hint to Vazen that the first company to offer a FULL set of anamorphic focal lengths for a good price, with good image quality wins.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here... but I am watching their stuff with interest but need a proper 5-lens set! Or at the very least a roadmap for one.

Orion lenses are doing very well, for precisely the reason that they have a clear roadmap and are offering proper sets. They deserve the success they are finding.

I am crossing fingers Vazen can take on whatever low-interest business loans they need in order to at the very least fund the design of full sets and publish specs and a rough timetable.

I think that just having those plans up on their site would increase sales dramatically.

Also seems like if they can do RF-mount, they can also maybe do E-mount and L-mount versions for that m43 series... interesting!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Niiiice!

BTW since you're in good communication with Vazen, I'm hoping someone can pass the hint to Vazen that the first company to offer a FULL set of anamorphic focal lengths for a good price, with good image quality wins.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here... but I am watching their stuff with interest but need a proper 5-lens set! Or at the very least a roadmap for one.

Orion lenses are doing very well, for precisely the reason that they have a clear roadmap and are offering proper sets. They deserve the success they are finding.

I am crossing fingers Vazen can take on whatever low-interest business loans they need in order to at the very least fund the design of full sets and publish specs and a rough timetable.

I think that just having those plans up on their site would increase sales dramatically.

Also seems like if they can do RF-mount, they can also maybe do E-mount and L-mount versions for that m43 series... interesting!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv
    So to answer all of this, I am an Authorized Dealer for Vazen. I handle their North American sales here, so all prices I'll be privy to. I'll be happy to tell you that most likely this new RF line of lenses will stay at the same range they are already. Making them the worlds most affordable 1.8x anamophic set mass produced.

I've been talking directly to their marketing manager and pushing them on more lenses. So far I can confirm they are coming out with a 65mm with similar size and specs to this 40mm T2.0.

Making the set 28mm T2.2, 40mm T2.0, and 65mm T2.?

That will be the first task. After that I'm talking with them and hopefully their optical engineer about a 100mm. I don't feel the 28mm matches as a "set" lens because it uses different optical design (expired Panavision patent) and is smaller physically. So ideally their first full matching set would be 40mm, 65mm, 100mm -

Right now I'm helping them gauge demand for these lenses. I told them people will buy if they make them. Right now they are the best optical quality anamorphic lens in their range. They "own" the market for this price range ($3,250 USD per lens) and as long as the demand keeps up, they will keep producing lenses it seems.

Their marketing is a little lacking at the moment, but I'm also helping them with that and communicating what the market wants / needs.

And finally, yes we already brought it up to them about Sony E-mount options, and mentioned some design options too. They agree, i told them moving forward they need to stop locking themselves into the M4/3 mount, since optically they cover the center of s35mm perfectly. Sony is a BIG player in cinema cameras and E-Mount is a no brainer to sell more lenses. Ultimately the public needs to be educated on how to use a 1.8x lens that covers Academy 35mm vs Super 35mm

Once people realize the workflow, this will be huge since you aren't losing any information for a regular 2.39:1 image.

So yes, all of this I have already spoken to them about, and its an on going relationship between my company and theirs to make sure they put out the best products for the market.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Awesome - thank you for the detailed response, also for the transparency about company relationships. Sweet.

Yeah I usually rent Alexa Mini + Kowas... but these Vazens are VERY attractive for B-cam / gimbal / personal scout / pitching lenses.

Also for stuff like VFX let me tell you it's mighty nice to own lenses whose characteristics and distortion you know precisely... Instead of staring at something you shot on a funky set of rented lenses, scratching your head because you didn't have time to shoot full charts to map out that crazy distortion :)

I like wide of course, so I'm interested in that 28mm 2.2 even if it looks a bit different.

I wonder if (like Kowa), Vazen can find or make a wide-angle adapter for the 40mm to give us a 32mm option.

I agree Vazen seem to have a really interesting product but need better marketing and info. This thread with screenshots of coverage, etc helps a lot. Thank you!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv