Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 578 of 636 FirstFirst ... 78478528568574575576577578579580581582588628 ... LastLast
Results 5,771 to 5,780 of 6358
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    no, your eyes are not screwed. Yes I've seen the SAME issues with images from Komodo at the start. NO it's NOT the camera, it is operator based, but I'm seeing just beautiful footage out of mine, and Ive seen great stuff here and there from others as well.
    I'm glad to hear that. I've been getting pretty nervous about being on the Stormtrooper list because, to be bluntly honest, aside from a couple good tests, every other one looks like it was shot on the original 1080p Blackmagic Pocket Camera with a vintage lens and a pro-mist filter. I'm glad to hear from someone that Komodo is capable of a sharp, contrasty, modern image. I still have trouble wrapping my head around how the vast majority of the test footage out there doesn't do this new camera any justice at all. It's difficult to comprehend how a dozen or so testers all made similar mistakes with their shots. I mean, I remember better images from pre-production GH4's and early release 2.5K Blackmagic cameras and they were in far less capable hands.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Komodo Stormtrooper/COLOR]

I suspect the issue people are seeing is all about the sharpening - or lack of - in the mix. It's been an issue back to the R1 days. SOP for camera makers is to "sweeten" the image via processing techniques matched to the profile of the sensor and EOTF properties. It's also easier to sell a camera with "prettified" pictures than one that requires proper treatment to reach its full potential.

Authoring a unique, intentional image that adds just the right flavor to manifest greater meaning can be accomplished many ways. That said, the R3D data set offers so much flexibility in "development" of the desired RGB image that your options in the digital darkroom are incredible. With all that power comes the ability to make final images that run the gamut from yucky to fantastic. RED has stuck to their philosophy of giving creators that power and have taken a lot of hits from critics when that power led to poor results. This is not a new phenomenon with Komodo.

You can cook from scratch with carefully selected ingredients or microwave a pre-made dish. Both are paths to putting a tasty meal on the table. One gets you a consistently good result. The other is highly dependent on the talent, skill set and taste (both kinds) to create something special. Your choice.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Genova View Post
    I remember better images from pre-production GH4's and early release 2.5K Blackmagic cameras and they were in far less capable hands.
    GH4 files are NOT RAW. They are the video equivalent of a camera's JPEG with added saturation and sharpening and contrast curve. Anyone who has shot in Panasonic's V-log faces SOME of the same issues as shooting RAW, yet again, the path to a decent grade is still simpler than Red RAW. Red RAW isn't complicated, but the steps are specific. And when those steps get messed up, people output bad footage. The best camera people I know are ecstatic about what Komodo can do. About a month from now, all these "nervous" conversations about what Komodo can or can't do in regards to image quality will be laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I suspect the issue people are seeing is all about the sharpening - or lack of - in the mix. It's been an issue back to the R1 days. SOP for camera makers is to "sweeten" the image via processing techniques matched to the profile of the sensor and EOTF properties. It's also easier to sell a camera with "prettified" pictures than one that requires proper treatment to reach its full potential.

Authoring a unique, intentional image that adds just the right flavor to manifest greater meaning can be accomplished many ways. That said, the R3D data set offers so much flexibility in "development" of the desired RGB image that your options in the digital darkroom are incredible. With all that power comes the ability to make final images that run the gamut from yucky to fantastic. RED has stuck to their philosophy of giving creators that power and have taken a lot of hits from critics when that power led to poor results. This is not a new phenomenon with Komodo.

You can cook from scratch with carefully selected ingredients or microwave a pre-made dish. Both are paths to putting a tasty meal on the table. One gets you a consistently good result. The other is highly dependent on the talent, skill set and taste (both kinds) to create something special. Your choice.

Cheers - #19
    This!...pretty much....
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

In case folks haven't seen the "test" footage from the amazingly talented Bob Gundu.

What sling mounts are these that mount in the 1/4 20 holes?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Got Komodo ST 243 today! Going to try to get it mounted up to a car for some nighttime mountain driving if all goes to plan.

Here are some photos of it for now from each side for anyone interested.

QD weapon sling mounts work very well on a small camera like this. Should work even better mounted on the side to the Timmy ribs once those arrive.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    In case folks haven't seen the "test" footage from the amazingly talented Bob Gundu.
    This is great looking to me but It is one of the videos somebody earlier was calling plastic. I wonder if the naysayer noticed that it was shot on a Nikon 50mil with an anamorphic adapter? Doesn’t look “hazy” to me. Maybe too many people out there playing high frame rate video games getting their eyes tweaked?
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    What sling mounts are these that mount in the 1/4 20 holes?
    I just ordered some of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and then any standard QD swivel should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    This is great looking to me but It is one of the videos somebody earlier was calling plastic. I wonder if the naysayer noticed that it was shot on a Nikon 50mil with an anamorphic adapter? Doesn’t look “hazy” to me. Maybe too many people out there playing high frame rate video games getting their eyes tweaked?
    well it might be aesthetically pleasing, but that anamorphic lens is SUPER soft, and in no way rendering even close to 4K resolutions, let alone 6K. And it does look a bit hazy in multiple shots, but that's because of that adapter. This is kind of the problem people are talking about. A lot of footage people are complaining about is coming from low quality lenses or mistakes. A lot have been using affordable (cheap) glass on their komodo tests, and thats why this haze is being seen. Look at how sharp and clear some of the modern glass videos that have been posted like Sigma 18-35 shots. Very sharp and clean. People are also using poor quality filters like variable ND's which show lots of artifacts of their own. The shots from my more modern lenses are sharp and clear.

I have a very detailed eye and can spot all of the things that others have complained about. I say this again, there ARE issues being seen, it's just that its operator induced, not camera.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

I'm seriously considering this camera (over the Canon C300/3) but I have to say, I have yet to see any footage that I find at all impressive. I hope, J.Orlandi, that you're right and it's mistakes and lens choice that makes much of it look not only unimpressive, but actually poor.