Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 601 of 633 FirstFirst ... 101501551591597598599600601602603604605611 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,010 of 6325
    Is 1.2 out for ST users yet? Not on Facebook so Im out of the user loop.
    Komodo Stormtrooper 697 "TR8R"
    Raven 691 "NEVERMORE"

Im in the same boat! Excited for the new firmware.

That YouTube review had some of the most unflattering images I've seen come out of the Komodo, so far. If that was all I had to go on, I'd have to write the Komodo off. Thank goodness there have been some people that have shot and shown images that are a lot more representative of what the camera is probably really capable of.

That grade was ugly and the images were NOISY. But when he showed the page with the metadata, it made some sense, though. He was shooting at 4000 ISO (outside!).

Christopher,

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that different users have different philosophies on the development of a quality grade. I'm a more contrasty/punchy grade guy myself, but the way those images look is kinda of popular from all the videos I'm seeing lately.

Just wrapped a design that puts the Teradek RT Thumbwheel onto the Derringer Handles... This will come in handy once I get my Timmy Ribs! :)

Designed in Fusion360 and printed out of ABS. Final product will be painted black.

Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Komodo ST #117 | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    That YouTube review had some of the most unflattering images I've seen come out of the Komodo, so far. If that was all I had to go on, I'd have to write the Komodo off. Thank goodness there have been some people that have shot and shown images that are a lot more representative of what the camera is probably really capable of.

That grade was ugly and the images were NOISY. But when he showed the page with the metadata, it made some sense, though. He was shooting at 4000 ISO (outside!).
    I’m overwhelmed with the footage, strange to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Komodo Tests footage

By Emmanuel Pampuri

First shots with RED Komodo Beta Version "Stormtrooper"
    Canon EF 1 lenses 6/35mm f:2.8 50mm f:1.2 24/70mm f:2.8
    Sensitivity from 800 to 3200 iso
    Ef / Rf adapter with Nd internal filter (not so good in terms of quality but efficient)
    Codec RED Code Raw HQ
    Post-production simple FCPx 10.4.9 + FilmConvert Nitrate RED Dragon / Dragon Color / RED Gamma 4

Strange Chromatic aberrations at 25''. What is this pink green out of focus area in the center of the image?

Patrick,

That's the magenta byass others and myself have seen, in certain situations, in the Komodo camera. I've also seen it in the Blackmagice Ursa Mini Pro 12k as well. I've personally been trying to investigate when and why it happens in certain scene scenarios and not in others. Is it the lenses used, how the non-removable OLPF reacts in certain lighting situations and color temperatures or Sensor/OLPF/Color Science in combination with each other.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 09-02-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Christopher,

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that different users have different philosophies on the development of a quality grade. I'm a more contrasty/punchy grade guy myself, but the way those images look is kinda of popular from all the videos I'm seeing lately.
    I like a more contrasty/punchier images, myself. Generally speaking, I'm tired of the low-contrast, washed-out, milky, "log" images. I thought they would have fallen out of vogue, by now. But I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Khan View Post
    I’m overwhelmed with the footage, strange to hear...
    Just to be clear(my fault, as I didn't), I was referring specifically to the David Le review.

Christopher,

You're preaching to the choir! I just think a contrasty(not crushed blacks) image with saturated colors( reasonably "In-Gamut" and not illegal) gives an image a more "three-dimensional" look, a more "meat on the bones" look. But for every guy like ourselves whom likes a contrasty/punchier look, there are guys who believe it's too "over done" and "unnecessary". Sometimes it really can be "over done" and "unnecessary" and some guys just want to do what they believe is only "necessary" or "required" to tell the story at hand and that's okay!

We all have different grading styles. I just say ,although some other person's grade might not be your own personal preference, learn to appreciate the creative decisions that the other person made to create it.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 09-02-2020 at 06:23 PM.