Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 531 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
    I wouldn't mind a loaner Komodo to film Area 51

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    screw storming Area 51, here we come Red Studios Hollywood
    heheh
    EPIC-W Helium 002620

So I remember way back when Jarred was talking about the streamline process for DSMC2 and how it would make some things more expensive and other things less expensive, but would open RED to a higher order of production bringing total costs down for owners. He mentioned things like how much wafer was wasted producing Monstro sensors and other production cases that could be solved by growth. I wonder if this is something that fits within the constraints of mass market leverage based on ownership of the Hydrogen (which is probably the most common current-tech red camera in the wild.
    J.D. Frey
    dead workers party

Jarred- looks like we need a manufacturing video! Im in! LOL

When can I come by to pick one up!!!????
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

I hope it has the latest USB-C hardware and supports USB charging. Being able to use the camera as a "high-speed card reader" would make off-loading footage and charging batteries easy for mobile users and it would let you keep the CFast media in the camera, reducing the wear and tear on the cards and interface slot.

Hehehe Gemini sensor got added to the "no" list since I saw this last night... MYSTERIUM RETURNS. I mean hey, this thing could be a pocket RED ONE. Mini SDI! Although USB-C would be preferred... Maybe. Still love locking connectors. But mini SDI has a history in the red product line.

Take all the old sensor blocks on trade in, recertify, plug them into new boards with better processing power based on the learnings of the past 12 years and there you go... New life from an old sensor with a new driver.

Anyone remember Jim's RAW-Lite remarks from the Red Studios Hydrogen event?

This is all wild speculation, but I would be very amused.
    Scarlet #03293
    Hydrogen Ti #1495

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    I hope it has the latest USB-C hardware and supports USB charging. Being able to use the camera as a "high-speed card reader" would make off-loading footage and charging batteries easy for mobile users and it would let you keep the CFast media in the camera, reducing the wear and tear on the cards and interface slot.
    Agreed. BTW, does anyone know how many mating cycles CFast cards are designed for? MBTF? Not trying to throw shade, just asking.

Cheers - #19

I know I'm not the only one here who has seen Komodo Dragons in person, but I'm having a chuckle that they are on the big side of lizards and this is certainly the smallest RED camera to date. I can rig a limited shooting package on a DSMC2 brain down to < 6lbs, but it's still a chunk of camera in terms of physical size. This little guy can be used in some new ways for sure, that's exciting stuff actually. Reading between the lines of the various posts from Jim and Jarred, I'm betting part of the reason to go against the original camera module concept was to potentially do more in more meaningful ways to filmmakers without being a bit hindered by the other body type. This new form factor actually seems like something you can even build on in the future too and a bit more practical for actually rigging/kitting it out.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I think it's a weaponized ZCam E2 (form factor)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

It definitely looks like an APS-C sensor, 4.5K 120p...maybe even the Raven sensor, though it was called "Dragon". Sustained CFast 2.0 speeds top out at about 130 MB/s, so the resolution cannot be higher than 5K without heavy compression, or a 60p frame rate limit.

You take out the media bay and the fans, you get a 4" cube that can take a monitor on top and modules at the back. Wireless integration with H1 or H2?

And Raven cost $6,000, body only. Komodo obviously can't step on the toes of Dragon-X, or can it?
    Sareesh | wolfcrow.com

RED's version of GoPro.