Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 386 of 453 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 4530
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    On that photo I just posted you can see a little slice of my phone in the corner and on that phone is displaying a full page of pretty incredible PDAF feedback as those focus pixels are now alive and well. It is pretty mesmerizing watching the raw data come in from what they are capturing and the mind starts to wander thinking about all the possibilities with what we can do with that... What you ask we actually already have coded and in DMSC2, it is just the contrast AF in DSMC2 sucked so bad that it never really works that well. PDAF will make that code so much more useful.

But as I said before, It's going to take a while before we do a real deep dive into phase detect autofocus, too many other more important things to dig into right now. When I put up my hands and yell "AF AF AF!" , Uday is quick to slap me and remind me that we have only spent about 1 engineering man year of development with PDAF so far and Canon has about 2000 man years combined. So quite honestly... we have some catching up to do. I'd bet money that we wont have PDAF at launch .
    Jarred, I know it might be wishful thinking and there's no offense intended: but is this AF catching up ending anywhere to a truly usable level or would some sort of collaboration with Canon to get their DualPixel AF into Komodo through let's say a paid license not be a more feasible option?

Monochrome Komodo definitely on the radar, but not till we get past the first swell of orders and get caught up a bit.
    Naming it right now: "MonoKomodochrome"

Called it! :)
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 8K HELIUM Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini Packages
    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16mm-180mm / Atlas Anamorphic A-Set

On that photo I just posted you can see a little slice of my phone in the corner and on that phone is displaying a full page of pretty incredible PDAF feedback as those focus pixels are now alive and well. It is pretty mesmerizing watching the raw data come in from what they are capturing and the mind starts to wander thinking about all the possibilities with what we can do with that... What you ask we actually already have coded and in DMSC2, it is just the contrast AF in DSMC2 sucked so bad that it never really works that well. PDAF will make that code so much more useful.

But as I said before, It's going to take a while before we do a real deep dive into phase detect autofocus, too many other more important things to dig into right now. When I put up my hands and yell "AF AF AF!" , Uday is quick to slap me and remind me that we have only spent about 1 engineering man year of development with PDAF so far and Canon has about 2000 man years combined. So quite honestly... we have some catching up to do. I'd bet money that we wont have PDAF at launch .
    These comments is why I love Red and come here everyday to read something like this..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Diamond View Post
    Naming it right now: "MonoKomodochrome"

Called it! :)
    Chromodo ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Chromodo ;)
    I call Komono

Cheers - #19

Thanks for posting a shot of the baseplate/EXT breakout module, looks very slick. That said, I was hoping for an Ethernet port to support tethered recording of R3Ds. I realize that Komodo is not intended to be as full featured as DSMC2s (let alone Rangers), but is there any path to externally record the RAW data set? Perhaps a way to toggle the 12g SDI tap to send out R3Ds instead of a baked RGB signal?

I can only imagine how much is still to be done just to get basic operations bulletproof for release. That said, if the device is capable of it, tethered recording would be useful.

Cheers - #19

Shouldn't that be Monodo...?
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Hey @Jarred, is this video shot on Komodo?

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I call Komono

Cheers - #19

Didn't Kim K-W get in trouble for that earlier...? ; )

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Thanks for posting a shot of the baseplate/EXT breakout module, looks very slick. That said, I was hoping for an Ethernet port to support tethered recording of R3Ds. I realize that Komodo is not intended to be as full featured as DSMC2s (let alone Rangers), but is there any path to externally record the RAW data set? Perhaps a way to toggle the 12g SDI tap to send out R3Ds instead of a baked RGB signal?

I can only imagine how much is still to be done just to get basic operations bulletproof for release. That said, if the device is capable of it, tethered recording would be useful.

Cheers - #19
    heh heh heh