Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 445 of 533 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449455495 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,450 of 5323
    All this time off has got me thinking. I thought maybe I'll share my thoughts here and somebody who knows more could chime in.

Knowing the Komodo is almost as good as Helium in terms of image quality, can or will it replace a Red Dragon-X as your (or anybody else's) A-cam? My detailed thoughts here: https://wolfcrow.com/can-the-red-kom...as-your-a-cam/

The original Dragon is still very popular in India as a rental item. You can get an entire kit with lenses, tripod, etc. for about $200 per day. From that perspective, it makes more sense to "invest" in a Gemini over a Dragon-X, especially with all the taxes and duties, etc. The difference is negligible to any business that has that kind of funds.

So, what am I missing here? Will the Komodo really eliminate the need for Dragon-X entirely? What if the Dragon-X comes down in price to $9,999?

Lots to think about.
    Sareesh | wolfcrow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post

So, what am I missing here? Will the Komodo really eliminate the need for Dragon-X entirely? What if the Dragon-X comes down in price to $9,999?

Lots to think about.
    I should've read your article first before i replied. Nice job comparing the two!

My opinion:

Will Komodo replace Dragon-X? No.

Will Komodo be A-Cam? Absolutely.

Personally, I want both.
    Last edited by Colton John McLaughlin; 03-26-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
    All this time off has got me thinking. I thought maybe I'll share my thoughts here and somebody who knows more could chime in.

Knowing the Komodo is almost as good as Helium in terms of image quality, can or will it replace a Red Dragon-X as your (or anybody else's) A-cam? My detailed thoughts here: https://wolfcrow.com/can-the-red-kom...as-your-a-cam/

The original Dragon is still very popular in India as a rental item. You can get an entire kit with lenses, tripod, etc. for about $200 per day. From that perspective, it makes more sense to "invest" in a Gemini over a Dragon-X, especially with all the taxes and duties, etc. The difference is negligible to any business that has that kind of funds.

Lots to think about.
    My opinion is the same as Colton John’s.
    Dragons still get a lot of love and there’s many of us who still prefer the look the dragon gives over helium (even though I upgraded from dragon to helium). That’s probably why there’s the dragon-x camera-just how beautiful the images look.
    There will be a place for dragons for a while. Sure Komodo sure looks amazing and fills in a much needed spot in many of our needs.
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vrozina View Post
    Only Morons buy stuff without testing it or without viewing anything.
    As one of the original (Al and Ti) hydrogen buyers (morons), which then translated into Komodo somewhere along the lines while we were waiting for modules, I can't agree more. My love and trust for RED made it so that those were my worst tech purchase ever. I hope Jarred restores faith in me.

Ps I don't want to offend anyone. Just joking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Guglielmi View Post
    As one of the original (Al and Ti) hydrogen buyers (morons), which then translated into Komodo somewhere along the lines while we were waiting for modules, I can't agree more. My love and trust for RED made it so that those were my worst tech purchase ever. I hope Jarred restores faith in me.

Oh man the Hydrogens get crapped on so much... I still love both of mine :(

Honestly, the casings for them would be perfect for a Komodo Specific cabless monitor. Like if RED is going to make a monitor for Komodo I hope its super industrial looking, and has a built in battery + quick charger like the hydrogens.

Definitely going to be using both of mine as well as my iphone with the cell phone cradle + USB cable, and then use my shogun inferno for the bigger productions.

Hoping Komodo gets a cabless option down the line, would love a RED specific monitor, I hate cables so much...
    Last edited by Colton John McLaughlin; 03-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.

I would like it if Komodo would take the 4.7" DSMC2 LCD I already own. I think it would fit perfect on there despite not having the brightness of comparable small HD / Atomos options. Being able to make adjustments to settings using the display I have always liked despite the fingerprints and still think it would be nice with Komodo having integrated controls. I like that I don't have to take my eyes off the image (to look at a sidekick) while I am making quick adjustments while shooting.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Guglielmi View Post

As the moron who sold his RED 7inch DSMC2 monitor once Hydrogen was announced (as a DSMC2monitor), one thing I will say is that to crap on the Hydrogen and laugh at it, is to crap on Jim. Who is the reason for all of this. As for who will "never buy anything without testing," tell that to the RED ONE owners.

Or hell, the Helium Stormtroopers, or Geminis, all of these were buy before you try, and before there is footage.

However I sure hope to damn there is reimbursement for the Hydrogen Via Komodo.

But you gotta love Jim for doing it...

I cancelled my Hydrogen and got a refund before it shipped when it was clear that Hydrogen wasn't what most thought it was.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I bought the Hydrogen and honestly I still think its a great platform. The pictures and color science is very good, and the H4V's had amazing potential. It still wows people when they see them. Was really, sincerely saddened when they canceled the program, since I was sure that an H2 could easily step up, take everything groundbreaking with the first one and make it truly shine on the market.

What really was needed was additional, bigger screens to showcase the H4V media. A 12.8 tablet or frame would have been killer and spectacular as an h4v Display. That would be the eye opener .

Still have hopes that, following advancements we are seeing in the phones sensors and CPU/GPU performance and screen advancements in terms of nits and pixels, that Hydrogen comes back with a vengeance. I would day one go for it!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Hydrogen had issues for sure, but it does sadden me a bit that the focus was on the sharp jagged issues and not the variety of things it did really, really well.

For instance I can still get 3 days off a single battery charge, which none of the current flagships can do with the same usage. And I still think the premium we all paid for the rugged all metal titanium body, though contrary to the glass stone concept of most modern minimalist designs, was a bold utility and ergonomic focused decision.

One can only imagine that rather than a focus on H4V, if Hydrogen released a triple camera 2D focused phone with wide, normal, and long lenses. I mean everybody else got the memo about the huge battery for sure and triple camera will be around for a while as well. Until tiny zoom designs become more reliable.

That has all passed now and for those who did bite the bullet, we all do get a discount on Komodo, which is actually a really good discount more or less offsetting the cost of the phone.

For those interested in 3D and H4V, there is actually still a pretty vibrant community on Holopix as that world continues to develop. I'll go on a limb and say it was a fair bit ahead of it's time in that regard, but still an intersting creative platform. It truly was never designed to be a phone for everybody. That's what the other companies do and do well.

The tertiary result is I think the platform Komodo represents is really what image makers will want at the end of the day. Hydrogen + Battery Module + Camera Module + Lens Mount was going to be about as thick as a Mirrorless or compact DSLR body. Komodo being designed from the ground up has a different focus for sure and will provide a much more versatile shooting platform IMO with non-proprietary accessories. You'll be able to use it and rig it however you want, with whatever you want (to an extent).
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon