Thread: If you could only have 1 lens to pair with your Komodo, which would it be?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 If you could only have 1 lens to pair with your Komodo, which would it be? 
    Since the world is going into quarantine mode, I thought it would be fun to ask what the community thinks would be their "go-to" lens!

The lens I would choose: Canon RF 28-70mm f2

It covers my four favourite focal lengths, 28, 40, 58, and 65. Has a transmission of T2.2 all the way through the focal lengths.

It's weather sealed, has autofocus, is almost par-focal, is sharp yet maintains a nice balance of artistic qualities (not sterile sharp), is native RF.

The RF mount on Komodo allows a ridiculous amount of lenses from all different manufacturers throughout all the years to be used, so i ask you this, what lens would be your "Go-To" and why?

400mm for that bokeh (and effectively 600mm at S35 ��) Shot framing be damned

Prime: Sigma CINE 40mm T1.5

Zoom: Fujinon Premier 18-85 T2

Cheers - #19

One set of Master primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    One set of Master primes.
    It will be interesting to see which focal lengths will vignette on Komodo...

Cheers - #19

The 28-70mm f2 would be great if the lens was closer to full frame and had stabilization. I'd probably go with the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 IS or the 15-35mm f2.8 IS.

lol Blair. The Premiere 18-85 T2 w/ PL mount is over 7 TIMES the length of Komodo :)

There's a few more options coming soon. But you all are on a good path so far. Except for Blair. He's crazy :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    lol Blair. The Premiere 18-85 T2 w/ PL mount is over 7 TIMES the length of Komodo :)

There's a few more options coming soon. But you all are on a good path so far. Except for Blair. He's crazy :)
    Fine, I'll show you crazy. Take the Canon 50-1,000 Cine zoom, clamp the monitor to the matte box, screw/bolt the shoulder pad to the lens support foot and the Komodo can hang off the back of the lens for counterweight ;-}. 19mm Titanium iris rods recommended, might be difficult to park in small spaces :)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post
    The 28-70mm f2 would be great if the lens was closer to full frame and had stabilization. I'd probably go with the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 IS or the 15-35mm f2.8 IS.
    Lack of IS (if Komodo enables it), not as much wide end, and a significant bump in cost, and a significant bump in size/weight (especially considering balance issues with the small RF bodies we've gotten so far), would all be fair negatives to list comparing the 28-70 to the 24-70, depending on your needs and shooting style. They're definitely both full frame, though. Canon doesn't even have a non-full-frame RF body yet! 100% the 28-70 will cover Komodo sensor.

Minolta MD 28-70 f3.5-4.8 macro to start with. It’s already in the kit.
    A CN-E 18-80 rig would suit me well.