Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 649 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 6489
    I don’t care about the full specs, it being 6K and s35 shooting r3d is all I need. I am dying to see some footage, if it’s a little brother to the Gemini skin tone and color wise I will be in love. If it’s clean up to 3200 that would be a welcomed bonus
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Thank you. I'm joining the group now; looks like something I should have joined a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Lyles View Post
    I don’t care about the full specs, it being 6K and s35 shooting r3d is all I need. I am dying to see some footage, if it’s a little brother to the Gemini skin tone and color wise I will be in love. If it’s clean up to 3200 that would be a welcomed bonus
    100% with you !

EDIT : one bonus thing I would love is some kind of screen and buttons on the top to control the settings (like on Venice, Alexa and even DSMC2 with the Sidekick)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    100% with you !
    Same here. I just want to make content with it :)

It's hopefully going to become my goto trekking/mountaineering camera...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

My only potential concern with this camera will be the crop in 4K. Red could have avoided a lot of issues with their existing lineup if they just made the Komodo a great 4K camera (putting it in its own market segment compared to their higher-end cameras).

A full-frame DCI 4K camera that has R3D and their usual 4k frame rates (120fps or so) while also having an RF Mount and CFast cards and small Canon batteries that last all day would be an instant buy for me. Even all of that at Super35 4K would be an instant buy. As long as ISO 2000 looked great and 3200 was usable.

But, at 6K, I don't think there is any way we're getting something that won't have close to a 2x+ crop in 4K now. The 6K is probably Super35, as a 6K full-frame camera would really step on the toes of Monstro and Gemini. So that means a very significant crop in 4K, which is what I do 99% of my work in and is a sweet spot for file size and storage costs, especially with R3D files.

We'll see and it's still looking likely I'll snag one of these if it at least has R3D and 120fps in 4K, but really hoping for a minimal crop (close to Super35) in 5K.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post
    My only potential concern with this camera will be the crop in 4K. Red could have avoided a lot of issues with their existing lineup if they just made the Komodo a great 4K camera (putting it in its own market segment compared to their higher-end cameras).

A full-frame DCI 4K camera that has R3D and their usual 4k frame rates (120fps or so) while also having an RF Mount and CFast cards and small Canon batteries that last all day would be an instant buy for me. Even all of that at Super35 4K would be an instant buy. As long as ISO 2000 looked great and 3200 was usable.

But, at 6K, I don't think there is any way we're getting something that won't have close to a 2x+ crop in 4K now. The 6K is probably Super35, as a 6K full-frame camera would really step on the toes of Monstro and Gemini. So that means a very significant crop in 4K, which is what I do 99% of my work in and is a sweet spot for file size and storage costs, especially with R3D files.

We'll see and it's still looking likely I'll snag one of these if it at least has R3D and 120fps in 4K, but really hoping for a minimal crop (close to Super35) in 5K.
    I agree with all of this.

RED's most common pixel size is 5 microns. If that is what Komodo uses, 6k will be 30.72mm wide, larger than super 35, same as Gemini. 5K will be 25.6mm wide, slightly larger than S35, and 4k will be 20.48mm wide, a 1.2 crop factor. This does seem to be the most likely scenario.
    Don't forget that rather than recording Prores or some other codec internally it is likely to scale full sensor or 5k to 4k SDI for external recorders.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    RED's most common pixel size is 5 microns. If that is what Komodo uses, 6k will be 30.72mm wide, larger than super 35, same as Gemini. 5K will be 25.6mm wide, slightly larger than S35, and 4k will be 20.48mm wide, a 1.2 crop factor. This does seem to be the most likely scenario.
    Don't forget that rather than recording Prores or some other codec internally it is likely to scale full sensor or 5k to 4k SDI for external recorders.
    I think this would work for me, if true, as long as the 4k and 5k are clean at ISO 2000 and usable at 3200.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post

agreed, this is what i've been saying too, where the crop falls at 4k is my main concern. I like what sony did actually, its a 6k sensor but records a full sensor scale down at 4k.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Lyles View Post
    Don't worry you will see lots of footage before you can actually buy Komodo.. It has already shot a feature :)

And Komodo is not a surprise "take over the lower end market" camera, it's a camera designed for a specific application at the highest level and hence is being tested and tested and tested and then tested some more before release. That has always been the plan since the start, remember I told you all exactly how Komodo would be rolled out and it's sticking to that path pretty well.

Of course.. people will compare it to everything else out there from Black magics to our own cameras and everything else in between.. but it really sits in it's own market... at least that is what it was designed to do. It's a complimentary camera , designed to take the best images possible that do one thing very, very well in its most simplest of form.

It is not a replacement camera nor should it be anyones first camera, even though I am well aware that it probably will be one or both of those for some, because It is good... It is really, really good.