Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 134 of 649 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234634 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 6489
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Lyles View Post
    I don’t care about the full specs, it being 6K and s35 shooting r3d is all I need. I am dying to see some footage, if it’s a little brother to the Gemini skin tone and color wise I will be in love. If it’s clean up to 3200 that would be a welcomed bonus
    Sorry Darius, I quoted you but then got sidetracked and didn't actually respond to your question... Anyways, if that's your list, then you should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    It is not a replacement camera nor should it be anyones first camera, even though I am well aware that it probably will be one or both of those for some, because It is good... It is really, really good.
    I can't wait to see it... with any luck I'll be able to use it on some of the films we have in development and/or preproduction :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Sorry Darius, I quoted you but then got sidetracked and didn't actually respond to your question... Anyways, if that's your list, then you should be happy.
    Well that's good to hear. Clean to ISO 3200 and at least Super35 at 6k and shooting R3D. Sounds good to me. Glad I already have my batteries and the RF Variable ND adapter. Looking forward to release.

Don't worry you will see lots of footage before you can actually buy Komodo.. It has already shot a feature :)

And Komodo is not a surprise "take over the lower end market" camera, it's a camera designed for a specific application at the highest level and hence is being tested and tested and tested and then tested some more before release. That has always been the plan since the start, remember I told you all exactly how Komodo would be rolled out and it's sticking to that path pretty well.

Of course.. people will compare it to everything else out there from Black magics to our own cameras and everything else in between.. but it really sits in it's own market... at least that is what it was designed to do. It's a complimentary camera , designed to take the best images possible that do one thing very, very well in its most simplest of form.

It is not a replacement camera nor should it be anyones first camera, even though I am well aware that it probably will be one or both of those for some, because It is good... It is really, really good.
    The Soderbergh feature will show before a Komodo purchase can be made? What kind of time frame is that? 6mos or 1yr

Woohoo. That is all....

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Hmm... I really don’t get what kind of camera this is.
    If it’s 6K, shoot R3D’s on a S35 (or larger?) sensor that is clean at ISO 3200 and use tiny batteries that will last all day... Why wouldn’t lots of people wanna use it as their A-Cam?
    I almost never shoot high speed and 6K is more than enough for my needs... Why would I want anything more than a Komodo?
    Or am I forgetting something? What’s the catch? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    Hmm... I really don’t get what kind of camera this is.
    If it’s 6K, shoot R3D’s on a S35 (or larger?) sensor that is clean at ISO 3200 and use tiny batteries that will last all day... Why wouldn’t lots of people wanna use it as their A-Cam?
    I almost never shoot high speed and 6K is more than enough for my needs... Why would I want anything more than a Komodo?
    Or am I forgetting something? What’s the catch? :)
    We don’t know compression and frame rates yet.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    We don’t know compression and frame rates yet.
    Dude Bob you're always 4 steps ahead. Love it. I think you've nailed it with this.

Komodo may well be limited to say 30fps at 6K. And also 8:1 compression. Fine for many needs, but not for others.

This makes what Jarred is saying make total, total sense.

Speaking to Jarred's hint about Komodo's uniqueness (ie it does one thing very well): we already know what Komodo does that no other RED can do - output 4K SDI. This may also be part of its uniqueness. Who knows maybe Komodo's most gradable master files are 4K Prores 4444 Quicktimes, and the R3Ds are 10:1 compression - they are almost proxies. Anything is possible I realize.

Very curious for the final reveal.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Dude Bob you're always 4 steps ahead. Love it. I think you've nailed it with this.

Komodo may well be limited to say 30fps at 6K. And also 8:1 compression. Fine for many needs, but not for others.

This makes what Jared is saying make total, total sense.

Speaking to Jarred's hint about Komodo's uniqueness (ie it does one thing very well): we already know what Komodo does that no other RED can do - output 4K SDI. This may also be part of its uniqueness. Who knows maybe Komodo's most gradable master files are 4K Prores 4444 Quicktimes, and the R3Ds are 10:1 compression - they are almost proxies. Anything is possible I realize.

Ha ha. 4K SDI is interesting as thats now in Atomos Raw recorder territory. But as a small nimble camera ideal for gimbals, I would hate external recorders. Plus if it is gimbal focused, I would certainly love up to 48 FPS. Music videos and corporate films always want some slo-mo!

But the surprise could be having sensor level stabilization which is certainly where things are headed.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post

This makes what Jared is saying make total, total sense.

Hey this season of Mindhunter, which I think is an amazingly beautiful show, was shot 8:1. If all other things are equal I’d take that (I know you’re just speculating).

I think you may have hit on something with the 4K SDI. I wouldn’t be shocked if this thing needs a specific module to shoot r3d, and it primarily shoots to an external recorder over that sdi.