Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 388 of 557 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 5566
    Just adding a (third party)monitor, canon batteries and a cfast card is enough to start shooting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A. Kelley View Post
    I have a question. Forgive me if it's already in here, but I do not frequent REDUser much and cannot go through 387 pages:

Is Komodo going to be a part of what my friends affectionately call the "RED Paper Weight Business Model" where by the Komodo does not cost much, but by the time you get everything you need to make it work you've added a few thousand onto it, or will this camera be ready to shoot out of the box not counting memory & lens?

PS I have "affectionately" reminded my friends that the Ranger comes with "almost everything" needed to shoot. Very interested in that but will wait until it comes with a Canon mount.

Thanks in advance! Nice to see everyone!

If this is an "out of the box" camera, then I am thinking this could be an amazing first camera for my sons to get started on.
    Absolute basic kit that can shoot:

Komodo body - ~$6K ish ballpark assuming no Hydrogen discount
    BP-955 battery - ~$150
    Angelbird 128 GB CFast 2.0 - ~$200
    Cfast Reader - ~$50

------Total: ~$6400

Unless I missed something, that's all that's technically needed assuming you have an RF lens. But an adapter to EF or whatever else you have shouldn't be too terribly much more.

That said, you'll probably want a larger display than the one on the camera, a few more batteries and a few more cards (larger capacities, probably, as well). You might also consider this behind-the-lens ND/EF to RF adapter. I'd budget about $7500-8000 for a versatile Komodo package that's not going to be a struggle to work with. But you absolutely could shoot content for an entry cost not much more than the camera body. The Komodo is much more self contained than the DSMC cams. And the move to third-party battery and media solutions means kitting it out won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Very helpful thank you!

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    technically, you don't need an external monitor. I mean you will want one, but the postage size stamp preview on the built in display will be "good enough" for some very small rigs where all you are most concerned about is framing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Absolute basic kit that can shoot:

Angelbird 128 GB CFast 2.0 - ~$200
    128GB is likely not going to be very much record time :)
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    technically, you don't need an external monitor. I mean you will want one, but the postage size stamp preview on the built in display will be "good enough" for some very small rigs where all you are most concerned about is framing.
    Yeah but what about a Mamiya style EVF ?
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Commodity batteries and media are cost savers, for sure. That said, if you are putting together a Komodo based package for professional shoots, I'd budget $10K and be happy if it's less.
    I'd also consider your lensing options. Huge fan of going RF on Komodo, but since it's still a "new" standard the universe of cinema grade optics is small and I doubt much of a resale market will exist for at least another year or two. That means I'd budget for a R>EF and/or R>PL mount adapter to put in the kit. FWIW, I'd actually suggest shelling out for an adapter that is also an ND turret. Being able to swing that little lizard around sans matte box/front filters is a great option to have.

Cheers - #19

Do we know the resolution of the built in display? In theory you could attach a loupe to magnify the "postage stamp" sized image but I'm doubtful that would be effective unless the display is 600ppi or better, which seems unlikely...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Yeah but what about a Mamiya style EVF ?
    A simple flip up optical finder so you can access the touch functions would be interesting. But it begs the question whether the image can be inverted. There is a “shark fin” mirror attachment for my Bolex top of camera display that serves a similar function, but without an eye piece or magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Commodity batteries and media are cost savers, for sure. That said, if you are putting together a Komodo based package for professional shoots, I'd budget $10K and be happy if it's less.
    I'd also consider your lensing options. Huge fan of going RF on Komodo, but since it's still a "new" standard the universe of cinema grade optics is small and I doubt much of a resale market will exist for at least another year or two. That means I'd budget for a R>EF and/or R>PL mount adapter to put in the kit. FWIW, I'd actually suggest shelling out for an adapter that is also an ND turret. Being able to swing that little lizard around sans matte box/front filters is a great option to have.

Cheers - #19
    Aftermarket friendliness is a big plus for me. Minolta MD to RF adaptor plus media is all I will need for starters. Have batteries and Beachtek XLR pre from my old Canon GL2 kit still in good condition. Hope the batteries are beefy enough.