Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 603 of 650 FirstFirst ... 103503553593599600601602603604605606607613 ... LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,030 of 6498
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Haban View Post
    I saw the quote made (maybe here, maybe the Facebook group) that Komodo was "the most video-looking" of all the RED cameras. I wonder if that person was watching a lot of LQ or MQ footage. I could see the argument being made for his comment based on the LQ footage in this comparison, But the HQ footage seems a perfect match to RED's other cameras.
    I would take somebody to task on that perspective because I strongly don't feel that way. Hell I don't feel that way about a few other cameras out there that aren't RED either. Komodo in particular due to the new CSF and likely other things clips rather nicely for instance.

Generally, much like REDCODE RAW we've known for so long, there are going to be differences between various compression ratios. Particularly if you're filming a scene with high frequency detail like a forest with tiny leaves and twigs or lots of tight macro fabric patterns or whatever.

I've been sort of the dude saying roll at the lowest compression ratio if you can for the longest while now. Generally in the world of DSMC and DSMC2 cameras, 5:1 through 8:1 were/are the most common for professional narrative work and I'd say higher to mid range commercial jobs. To that point I'd say focus on filming in HQ or MQ most of the time unless you really need to roll long or save on media. If that's the case, LQ is there for you.

Then again, if you're filming 6K for a 2K finish, well, then that's something to mull over further I imagine as the downsample will help further there. 6K for 4K or 5K for 4K or 4K for 4K, well yeah, personally I prefer HQ or MQ most of the time.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Haban View Post
    I saw the quote made (maybe here, maybe the Facebook group) that Komodo was "the most video-looking" of all the RED cameras. I wonder if that person was watching a lot of LQ or MQ footage. I could see the argument being made for his comment based on the LQ footage in this comparison, But the HQ footage seems a perfect match to RED's other cameras.
    I think I even answered that quote. The reason, as I see it, is that we haven't really seen anything outside test footage and people filming their dogs and wives. While some might be good at exposing correctly, there's nothing special about subjects or lighting, while some are just plain bad as photographers/cinematographers. My point is that the cheaper a camera system is, the more people will get it and only a few people in the world are really skilled photographers and cinematographers.

So, of course it will look more video if the situation isn't controlled and it's just people pointing and shooting their camera. I've seen the "video-look" from almost every expensive camera system around and it has all to do with who's filming with it and never about the camera system. As long as the system can shoot at around 13 stops or more and the shutter speed is kept correct, it's almost impossible to get a video-look if you know what you are doing as a photographer.

I think that the idea that "it looks video" is formed out of the idea that the equipment is what makes good images, not the user.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I’m not 100% sure but I think the HQ MQ LQ sample was mine that I posted on Facebook. I was sitting by the pool and saw the request for HQ MQ LQ samples and put something together. “Nothing special and nothing scientific” quick and dirty! just enjoying my day off… I also started by saying I have only been using HQ so I was also interested what it looked like too. The quote “video like” is so subjective. That could be lack of proper lighting, my shit grade…hell It could just be my crappy composition…I could go on and on. My point was does LQ look good enough to use. My personal decision is YES. This week alone I was forced to use LQ for a couple long takes because of space constraints. I personally think bouncing between HQ , MQ and LQ works great in the right conditions.

On a side note- I have filmed a shit ton with the Komodo over the last month in a verity of different conditions including 113-115deg weather here is Arizona on a car rig, drone and corporate interviews in the studio and it keeps impressing me. Unfortunately, most of the stuff we see is cats and dogs and footage like my crappy comparison… I know I can’t be the only one that has signed NDAs for projects and can’t share the good shit yet.
    Director | Videographer | Editor
    Red Hydrogen One
    Red Epic
    Red Scarlet
    Red Komodo ST199

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Jadot View Post
    B&H may have a few Storm Troopers available?

There are some scalpers on eBay? (Do you really need it that bad, for almost double the price???)

Other than that, it is a waiting game. Last I heard sometime at the end of this month the production of the production model will begin. (If everything goes exactly as planned, but that is "exactly as planned" from what I made out.) I am personally waiting for the H1 discounted version myself, I do not have an immediate need for it. I spent the the extra on glass and accessories already. I am still looking for batteries however.
    What glass

Ksenia & Stevie Mackey - Only want you more (Official Music Video )

By
    Ksenia

Red Helium 8K/ Red Komodo

I'm shooting a feature right now with Komodo as my A cam. I must say that there's nothing video-i about it. I've been using MQ compression...
    Attached Images
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    I'm shooting a feature right now with Komodo as my A cam. I must say that there's nothing video-i about it. I've been using MQ compression...
    beautiful stills.
    What lenses are you using?

RED Komodo 6K First Impressions - Am I ditching the BMPCC 4K?! [Footage Download]

By Driven Films

Sample download R3D files link
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...S2?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian Meier View Post
    beautiful stills.
    What lenses are you using?
    Angenieux Optimo Style zooms and Sigma Cine Primes. And a Tokina 11-16 pl
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Apologies for the laziness, but haven't been on RU in a long time and it would take me a day to wade through all the Komodo threads.

Can someone do me a TL:DR; on current availability of the Komodo and what the process is for getting in the queue?
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com