Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RF Lenses for Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1 RF Lenses for Komodo 
    Senior Member Tim Daust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    549
    really looking into some of the new RF lenses to use with Komodo. That 28-70 f2 is an amazing lens. anyone have experience with the RF lens line up ? Any thoughts on best of the options available at the moment ?
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #2  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    really looking into some of the new RF lenses to use with Komodo. That 28-70 f2 is an amazing lens. anyone have experience with the RF lens line up ? Any thoughts on best of the options available at the moment ?
    They are pretty much all phenomenal . The 70-200mm is a "pop-out" lens which I just don't like but optically the entire lineup is pretty killer.

    But remember... We are doing the EF protocol first since that is the majority of lenses out there right now. It will take us time to get those all EF lenses programmed in and the new autofocus on top of that, so native support for RF lenses will most likely not be there at launch.

    So your next thread probably should be the same question but about adapters, and I know Phil is doing a shit-ton of testing there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    179
    After looking at all the different RF to *insert your favorite here* Mount adapters, as well as looking at some of these bts Komodo shots, I’m most interested in the leica M mount: the size of the lenses remain small, light and compact to compliment the dimensions of Komodo but also the barrel rotation is much less than a traditional larger sized lens... requiring focus to be precise but focus racks can cover large distances very quickly for run n gun shooting. Which is why I’m upgrading/downsizing from Scarlet W to Komodo in the first place.

    @Jarred, when you’re ready I’d love to hear about the crop factor. I noticed some vignetting on some of the shots in the Hard Rock hotel commercial and would love to get the inside scoop. Of course I’m standing in line many months before the ice cream parlor opens... :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Tim Daust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    They are pretty much all phenomenal . The 70-200mm is a "pop-out" lens which I just don't like but optically the entire lineup is pretty killer.

    But remember... We are doing the EF protocol first since that is the majority of lenses out there right now. It will take us time to get those all EF lenses programmed in and the new autofocus on top of that, so native support for RF lenses will most likely not be there at launch.

    So your next thread probably should be the same question but about adapters, and I know Phil is doing a shit-ton of testing there.
    went ahead and started an adapter thread good sir lol
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    84
    I have the 28-70 and 50. The 28-70 is big and really heavy and feels very front heavy and unbalanced on the EOS R (using the battery grip helps a bit), but there's definitely something special about the image quality versus the EF 24-70 II. There's no question it's the best zoom lens I've ever used. The 50mm is very sharp even at f/1.2 and has nice bokeh. I've compared it with the Otus 55mm for stills and it's pretty close in overall quality. Whereas I feel like the 28-70 has a sort of "magic" to it's images, the 50 is much more clinical -- sharp and clean without much character. It's a great still lens, but I'm not sure what it can really do for video without a proper RF mount video camera.

    The EOS R's video capabilities leave a lot to be desired, so I haven't done much testing with the RF lenses for video. The focus rings on the RF lenses don't have hard stops and they're probably a bit smoother than Sigma or Canon EF lenses, but not as smooth the Otus or Canon CN-E. The build quality is a little "plasticy" and they don't feel nearly as solid as a Zeiss Classic/Otus or CN-E. I've compared the RF 50 with the Canon CN-E 50mm and the difference in images between the two is almost unnoticeable. The EOS R has quite a large crop in 4K, which is advantageous for the CN-E, which shows more flaws toward the edges of a full frame, and I don't find EOS R 4K video to be particularly sharp in general. It's entirely subjective, but I'd say the Otus and CN-E look slightly more cinematic than the RF 50 and I also prefer their color rendition (although only subtly different) over the RF 50.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #6  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    After looking at all the different RF to *insert your favorite here* Mount adapters, as well as looking at some of these bts Komodo shots, I’m most interested in the leica M mount: the size of the lenses remain small, light and compact to compliment the dimensions of Komodo but also the barrel rotation is much less than a traditional larger sized lens... requiring focus to be precise but focus racks can cover large distances very quickly for run n gun shooting. Which is why I’m upgrading/downsizing from Scarlet W to Komodo in the first place.

    @Jarred, when you’re ready I’d love to hear about the crop factor. I noticed some vignetting on some of the shots in the Hard Rock hotel commercial and would love to get the inside scoop. Of course I’m standing in line many months before the ice cream parlor opens... :)
    Just did a "test" for a feature with the Leica M mount adapter on Komodo today with that insane pancake Japanese lens and I wish I could show you the test. It blew my mind. One of those "there is no way this is possible" moments....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    87
    Jarred, Do you have any way to receive private messages at all. I wouldn't bother unless I think it was something pretty cool pertaining to Komodo. If not no worries
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Koniniec View Post
    Jarred, Do you have any way to receive private messages at all. I wouldn't bother unless I think it was something pretty cool pertaining to Komodo. If not no worries
    Send him a mail. He reads his email like no other CEO (and responds!). The man is a machine!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,386
    Come On, Jarred...how about a little something to tide us over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Just did a "test" for a feature with the Leica M mount adapter on Komodo today with that insane pancake Japanese lens and I wish I could show you the test. It blew my mind. One of those "there is no way this is possible" moments....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    They are pretty much all phenomenal. The 70-200mm is a "pop-out" lens which I just don't like but optically the entire lineup is pretty killer. (snip)
    Sorry to hear the R version of the 70-200 extends - no bueno. The EF 70-200L 2.8 is one of my absolute favorite lenses despite it being purpose designed for stills. I was hoping the R version would knock it out of the park, not knock into the rear filter in my matte box...

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts