Thread: Lens coverage chart? (not CVP!)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Lens coverage chart? (not CVP!) 
    I'm looking to buy some zoom lenses for a Gemini or Monstro, but i need to know wich is the best compromise..any suggestions? CVP chart lens list is not complete

For zooms on Monstro, I'd look at the Fujinon Premistas; 28-100mm (2.9 throughout) and 80-250mm (ramps from 2.9-3.5). There's also the Angie EZ set that has a removable rear optical block so you can shoot S35 or FF as needed. From their site:

The Angénieux Type EZ-2 for FF/VistaVision format is a wide zoom lens with a zoom factor of 2.7x. Its focal range and aperture are 22-60mm F2.8/T3. By exchanging the rear lens group, it becomes a 15-40mm F1.9/T2 covering an image circle up to 30mm diagonal.

It's worth noting that the Angie EZs are lighter weight, and, in situations where a bit of cropping (windowing the sensor) is viable - almost as fast as primes at a T2.

Disclaimer: I have not tested them side by side. That said, I'd expect the Fujinon to outperform the Angie EZs on a technical level and the Angies to have a kinder, more cinematic feel. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    For zooms on Monstro, I'd look at the Fujinon Premistas; 28-100mm (2.9 throughout) and 80-250mm (ramps from 2.9-3.5). There's also the Angie EZ set that has a removable rear optical block so you can shoot S35 or FF as needed. From their site:

The Angénieux Type EZ-2 for FF/VistaVision format is a wide zoom lens with a zoom factor of 2.7x. Its focal range and aperture are 22-60mm F2.8/T3. By exchanging the rear lens group, it becomes a 15-40mm F1.9/T2 covering an image circle up to 30mm diagonal.

It's worth noting that the Angie EZs are lighter weight, and, in situations where a bit of cropping (windowing the sensor) is viable - almost as fast as primes at a T2.

Disclaimer: I have not tested them side by side. That said, I'd expect the Fujinon to outperform the Angie EZs on a technical level and the Angies to have a kinder, more cinematic feel. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Angenieux EZ are the best options.. Thanks!!

If your taste leans toward a smoother, gentler look that tends to compliment human subjects the Angies are butter. I'm generally more into capturing as much visual information as possible in principal photography and messing with the image in post, so at identical price points I'd go Premista. That said, the extra size/weight of the Premista would make it less appealing for handheld/gimbal work.

To be clear, I don't mean to imply that the Angie would be weak in terms of IQ - they've been making lovely optics for a long time. Just wanted to give Fujinon well earned credit for their years of making precise, durable, high performance zoom lenses.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post

Cheers - #19

Angenieux EZ are the best options.. Thanks!!