Thread: Vintage Angenieux Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Vintage Angenieux Question 
    Hi All -

I have a gorgeous, old school Angenieux 15-150 T/1.9 zoom lens with a C-Mount that I want to adapt to my Red Epic MX with a Canon mount. I purchased a standard C-Mount to EOS adapter, but when I mount it on the camera, it wonít focus at all. Not even close. I went back and mounted it on an old Beaulieu 5008_S super-8mm movie camera (with a c-mount), and the lens focuses just fine. So Iím assuming thereís a difference in the rear focal plane tolerance (aka Back focus). In looking around online, I canít find a c-mount to EOS adapter with an adjustment lens element in it. Any ideas? Is it possible to have it custom mounted? And if so, any idea of where?

Thanks!

Tim Walton

If your Epic MX has the sensor positioning adjustment screw - and the discrepancy is relatively small - you should be able to get it to focus. No idea how par focal that old lens is to begin with, but be aware that trimming in the FFD for a particular mount adaptation could impact the ability to hold focus during a live zoom. It might be fine, but, obviously, you'll want to know ;)

Cheers - #19

I'm afraid that there is no way that a c-mount lens could fit an EF mount due to flange distance, maybe only for macro shots, c-mount adapters barely work with m43 and E mount cameras, and they practically fit inside the original cameral mounts in order to do so.

Had the same issue with a C to PL adapter. If I recall the adapter was specifically for mounting to astronomical telescopes where the objective lens of the eyepiece can be adjusted or replaced to correct back focus.
    Flange focus distance for C-mount film cameras was 17.52mm, quite shallow indeed.

Thanks, all. Looks like the only way to make the lens work is through a factory conversion. Thinking about giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Walton View Post
    Thanks, all. Looks like the only way to make the lens work is through a factory conversion. Thinking about giving it a try.
    T1.9 rating for your 15-150 means it is a later HEC version with high contrast lens coatings. I have the same in a c-mount 12-120 for my Bolex. Lovely glass indeed. Should cover 2k 16:9 Red format on your MX, roughly super 16mm coverage. 12-120 vignettes slightly on my D16. But the shading and color rendition are superb.