Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Best Gimbals/Steadicams for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Movi Pro is my go-to gimbal on the ground and the Ronin 2 with black arm for vehicle mounting, but both of those seem a little overkill for the Komodo size. I own a Ronin S and would consider that, but that Weebill S looks pretty badass. Wondering if you still have that full vertical range of motion without hitting the backside of the camera?
    Trenton Massey
    Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Producer
    www.ambientskies.com
    trenton@ambientskies.com

does anyone know if the Ronin-S Focus wheel will adjust focus on ef mount lenses on the komodo. I assume it does not at this stage but is there any possibility of it working?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Do someone have any tips on a gimbal that is A) Small and light B) Inexpensive C) Fast to setup D) with focus gear wheels? and E) have a 4-axis system?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Do someone have any tips on a gimbal that is A) Small and light B) Inexpensive C) Fast to setup D) with focus gear wheels? and E) have a 4-axis system?
    DJI is releasing a new gimbal shortly. I would wait for it before buying something else.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Definitely, but I'm not sure it will feature any Z-axis solution. The one thing I hate about gimbals is that they are so obvious compared to steadicam systems. Some have done handle solutions for getting 4-axis stabilization, but so far not Ronin as far as I know. So hopefully the new Ronin will have something for this.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Definitely, but I'm not sure it will feature any Z-axis solution. The one thing I hate about gimbals is that they are so obvious compared to steadicam systems. Some have done handle solutions for getting 4-axis stabilization, but so far not Ronin as far as I know. So hopefully the new Ronin will have something for this.
    Give a shot to following collars, if you have steadicam or similar, works for me...

I'm using this collar (16.5mm) with modified base
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RoCy94QAvD_BwE

however for Steadicam you may want to try Steadimate-S Gimbal Collar & Base
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._and_base.html

No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

And isn't it better to just zhiyun the 3S crane so as not to limit yourself?
    I have used it recently with my DSMC2 and the effects are really ok :)
    If I buy a komodo, I will use it with the crane 3S - I'm waiting for the purchase in POLAND :)
    Best regards :)
    below picture of DSMC2 on Zhiyun Crane 3s - It Works! :) ...i used the most basic setting
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-09-01 o 11.47.31.jpg

I was thinking of buying a vest and a steadycam arm and fixing it on the steadycam arm for the zhiyun crane 3s. Do you think it's a good idea?
    Phil Glowskey - Producer of Music Video - Poland
    RED Camera User

4th axis, like if you put the gimbal on a Steadicam arm?

everything on set has to do with the application and what labor or gear you are using... and what the clients wants too[sometimes]

If I was going to shoot an outdoor event and had multiple cameras I was cutting to and was really just using the gimbal for dolly type shots or cutaways, then you could just go with a simple set up of a camera on a gimbal with a single operator and get a wide lens and shoot at infinity at f/8.

if you have a to match shots and you're getting coverage, then you probably need a team, with an operator, focus puller at a minimum; which means the rig needs remote video and follow focus attached to the rig. During this scenario, your main objective is to get the shot and recreate the shot, so dependability is the biggest factor.

All your questions sorta center around a single operator set up which without dependable autofocus is going to be an issue... also no gimbal is going to be fast to set up, sometimes they do everything you want, and sometimes you have to tweak them, but if you work with it a long time you'll become an expert and you'll be able to fix the problem that arises.

I think the focus gear works for a small number of DSLR cameras... check the Ronin-S's website and they'll list the cameras... I don't believe the port used to connect the Ronin-S's focus to the camera is a port the Komodo has, so that's a no go.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Glowskey View Post
    I was thinking of buying a vest and a steadycam arm and fixing it on the steadycam arm for the zhiyun crane 3s. Do you think it's a good idea?
    this thing?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...with_a_15.html

IDK, the Komodo is a cinema camera and requires cinema camera attachments to make it fully functional, where a DSLR kinda does a lot of things automatically and some would say poorly. So the technology for single operators is really not there yet, Freefly has come close in some ways, but the introduction of AI would change a lot... the Komodo from I've seen, requires a lot of manual control and needs a gimbal that can handle accessories.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant