Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Best Gimbals/Steadicams for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I've actually been testing this one the last few days with Komodo. Its unusual.. in a good way.. and tracks very well.
    That's good to hear! :)

I was thinking that anything upwards of a Ronin S or a Weebill-S will do the trick.
    The most important bit is whether the trigger button will work and if the focus wheel can control the electronic focus.
    These tiny gimbals can handle a considerable load so they seem like the perfect fit for Komodo!

Have you had a chance to test the Ronin S?
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    That's good to hear! :)

I was thinking that anything upwards of a Ronin S or a Weebill-S will do the trick.
    The most important bit is whether the trigger button will work and if the focus wheel can control the electronic focus.
    These tiny gimbals can handle a considerable load so they seem like the perfect fit for Komodo!

Komodo app and the weebill app :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Komodo app and the weebill app :)
    Ho ho ho, sweet!!!
    Can't wait :)

Sounds like the baby Dragon will be hatching fully equipped!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    Also curious about Ronin S...

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Looking through the options, are there any that can be operated by hand without adding too much weight while at the same time having a true gearhead for cine lenses? There's options for still lenses but I'd rather use real cine gears for focus pulling and preferably being able to remote focus to the gimbal.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I'm personally gonna stick with the Movi Pro since I'll want to use PL Cinema lenses most of the time. I really love that I'll be able to use a lightweight lens and a Ronin S for stealth sometimes. Having the option to do both is why I love this camera. Flexibility in production is key to making a great product.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Two ways to go.

Super light weight, only a small wide still with autofocus and nothing more then a one hand gimbal would do great.

But then you have the other scenario when you want big ana´s, motors, mattbox, filters etc. And in such scenario the weight difference between a komodo setup and a DSMC3 setup is quite slim... Then Ronin XL is simply not to big.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Two ways to go.

Super light weight, only a small wide still with autofocus and nothing more then a one hand gimbal would do great.

But then you have the other scenario when you want big ana´s, motors, mattbox, filters etc. And in such scenario the weight difference between a komodo setup and a DSMC3 setup is quite slim... Then Ronin XL is simply not to big.
    Shouldn't it be possible to have NDs in the mount now with RF? Or is that impossible with PL lenses? Say you're shooting with Summilux lenses, using remote focus with a gearhead. If the mount can store NDs, then wouldn't that be a small setup anyway? I guess the biggest problem is how to power the gearhead for the focus.

I'm also not a fan of the "floaty" feel to gimbals. Whenever someone stands still with a gimbal it goes up and down in a very unstable look far from how steadicams look and feel. What do gimbals need to get rid of that?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Shouldn't it be possible to have NDs in the mount now with RF? Or is that impossible with PL lenses? Say you're shooting with Summilux lenses, using remote focus with a gearhead. If the mount can store NDs, then wouldn't that be a small setup anyway? I guess the biggest problem is how to power the gearhead for the focus.

I'm also not a fan of the "floaty" feel to gimbals. Whenever someone stands still with a gimbal it goes up and down in a very unstable look far from how steadicams look and feel. What do gimbals need to get rid of that?
    Gimbals need Y stabilisation to look "like a steady cam". I got Tilta armorman, basically two steady cam arms that dampen the vertical movement, in a very similar way as a steady cam, which work good.
    Yes I guess ND filters is possible to stick behind the lens, but then you got the chocolate filter, black promist, grad, polar or what ever other filter... and then normally a matbox or something to clear for lens flare, etc etc. And the Sumilux-c´s for example are quite long and heavy even if the camera is small the package quickly starts to become too long to balance on a small gimbal.

Komodo with a PL adapter, and battery on the back becomes quite long. And also as the camera is quite low weight and for example the Summilux-c´s are not you need to push it quite far back to balance.... quite quickly the battery start touching the roll axis... So then you need counter weights and all of a sudden a small gimbal becomes quite fiddly.

But yes, always nice to have a super small gimbal setup that can be held in one hand and so on but to my experience that comes with quite a bit of limitations if you want to be free to use what ever lenses and accessories. Even Ronin XL can be quite a trick to rig with lenses like big cooke´s or anas and such. I bought a ton of extra things to extend the use of my ronin, counter weights to put behind/ below camera and on pan axis, extra long tilt rods, Red´s smallest Vlocks, super light weight FF, DJI power distribution that lets you run without camera battery, etc. Still even a regular sized lens can be a challenge.

Here is a picture of the armor man setup and monstro with quite a small lens, no battery on camera but still there is quite a bit of counter weight needed.

[IMG]14045642_10154046353988043_4546621637784449239_n by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Has anybody used the Letus Helix Jr Magnesium? I was thinking that one would also make a nice combo with the Komodo...