Thread: Best start-stop cable for Red?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best start-stop cable for Red? 
    We were filming with 50-1000 where we have our left hand on the focus ring and the right hand on the zoom motor controller. Only problem how to trigger recording?? We could only doing it by letting go of the focus ring.

So any tips on start-stop buttons?

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Madly fins used to make one. Can get RED run stop cables for the Tilta Nucleus m too.

Cheers
    Craig Lees
    Uk

Got one made by the guys at Rencher Industries thats going stong and looking nice!

Hi Andreas,

I was recently using the 50-1000 on a Helium. A Libec Zoom Control on the pan handle worked for controlling both zoom and run/stop.

All the Best,

Michael

I have the WC "Easy Top" plate and use the ARRI standard 3pin Fischer plug for the run/stop as any ARRI standard trigger works. This also works well with most Follow Focus systems.
    Tom Gleeson

I recommend getting a Titla Nucleus M for focus and then run the handgrip on the side of your Red attached with an arri rosette. That's what I do for most all my shoots where I am running camera solo. They also make a start stop trigger that plugs into the camera that way one hand control can pretty much do it all (i.e. focus, zoom, iris, record, etc). Added benefit is with the addition of a wireless video transmission on bigger jobs then you can have an AC work with you an all that as well. Cannot recommend the nucleus M enough, it is definitely one of the best purchases I have made an addition to my Red Gemini. Not to mention that pulling focus by hand on a super-telephoto zoom will never compare to the stability of a "hands off" focus motor. I prefer to never pull focus manually ever again for that reason in itself.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Male View Post
    Hi Andreas,

I was recently using the 50-1000 on a Helium. A Libec Zoom Control on the pan handle worked for controlling both zoom and run/stop.

All the Best,

Michael
    Thanks Michael. I think we will get one of those to check out. How does it actually trigger the Recording? I only see a cable to the zoom servo.

Just got back from Falklands. Let us have a proper chat soon!
    Best
    Andreas and Natalie
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 02-09-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Hi Andreas and Natalie,

The camera & lens were provided to me on an assignment. Lens was PL mount. The Helium had a PL mount Revolva. A cable hardwired from the lens handgrip was plugged back into the lens, then the Lebec was plugged into the lens. I could use the Lebec for both zoom & camera stop/start control. The signal for the camera must have worked through the contacts in the PL lens mount. I don't know if this would also be the case with EF.

As Tom Gleeson mentioned above the WC Easy Top Plate provides a 3 pin Fisher for remote stop/start. I'm using that on my camera.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    I have the WC "Easy Top" plate and use the ARRI standard 3pin Fischer plug for the run/stop as any ARRI standard trigger works. This also works well with most Follow Focus systems.
    That is interesting. Do you have any link to those cables, hard to search for?
    Only pity is we use the top handle which I quite like so I guess we would have to lose that.

Cheers,
    Andreas

The Arri trigger is pretty standard throughout the business. I bought my cable through Wooden Camera. I assume any cable designed for a Arri camera should work? This is what I like about the WC Top Plate as most 1st ACs have setups that work with Alexas and those follow focus systems can just plug straight in
    Tom Gleeson