Thread: 4x4 filter systems compatible with cinema filters?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I try and not use fill unless it is necessary and then as little as needed. Film has a lot of overexposure latitude so you can expose for how dark you want the shadows to look outdoors. Slow film is a good idea in 16mm.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Thanks again. That's a different approach to exposure than I'm used to with video and reversal. Will need to practice a bit to get a feel for it, but that already makes sense.

Matt, if you are shopping for a matte box you might want to consider the Petroff. I bought one of the old series 3 stage units used some years back when new prices were in the $800-$1200 range.
    Petroff simplified the production down to one size with 142mm opening and a matching filter stage with a choice of filter holder sizes up to 4x6 and moved manufacturing to Europe after getting his first design ripped off by the Chinese.
    This thing comes with full flag set and two stages with filter holders of choice and lens adapter clamp or donut ring for the ridiculously cheap price of $240. Much better quality than anything else anywhere near its price. Handles up to 3 rotating stages with the first two being lockable. Exceptionally well engineered, sturdy, and light. Mine has he 15mm lightweight rod support which is an optional accessory. Haven't been tempted to swap it for anything else.
    Really, serious bargain! Better design, better quality, and much lighter than a Redrock Micro for 1/4 the price.

http://petroff.ws

Rigged with my Angie 12-240 on the Bolex for the solar eclipse a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Matt, if you are shopping for a matte box you might want to consider the Petroff. I bought one of the old series 3 stage units used some years back when new prices were in the $800-$1200 range.
    Petroff simplified the production down to one size with 142mm opening and a matching filter stage with a choice of filter holder sizes up to 4x6 and moved manufacturing to Europe after getting his first design ripped off by the Chinese.
    This thing comes with full flag set and two stages with filter holders of choice and lens adapter clamp or donut ring for the ridiculously cheap price of $240. Much better quality than anything else anywhere near its price. Handles up to 3 rotating stages with the first two being lockable. Exceptionally well engineered, sturdy, and light. Mine has he 15mm lightweight rod support which is an optional accessory. Haven't been tempted to swap it for anything else.
    Really, serious bargain! Better design, better quality, and much lighter than a Redrock Micro for 1/4 the price.

http://petroff.ws

Rigged with my Angie 12-240 on the Bolex for the solar eclipse a few years back.

Thanks, David. Cool rig, too! When I'm in the market for a new matte box I will look into that. For now I think maybe I just need some screw on filters after all... and a few basic 4x4 NDs for the current matte box on the 7-63mm.

Thanks again to everyone for the useful advice.

What are my best options? Do the Lee/Haida/Z Pro filter holders also hold these filters?[/QUOTE]

Lee and the like use 2mm thick filters, whereas cine filters are 4mm. Tiffen (I think it's Tiffen) claims for this reason to have created the first cine version of such a clip on holder. As I recall, they charge $7 billion for it. lolnope don't pay the cine tax. Lee sells 4mm replacement guides for their holder for pocket change https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SABEgJzRPD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    What are my best options? Do the Lee/Haida/Z Pro filter holders also hold these filters?
    Lee and the like use 2mm thick filters, whereas cine filters are 4mm. Tiffen (I think it's Tiffen) claims for this reason to have created the first cine version of such a clip on holder. As I recall, they charge $7 billion for it. lolnope don't pay the cine tax. Lee sells 4mm replacement guides for their holder for pocket change https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SABEgJzRPD_BwE[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The Tiffen holder actually looks pretty affordable ($70 or so) but only compatible with 77mm and 82mm threads, I think? I bought two Lee set ups and the guides above. One snap on for 95mm front lenses and another for 82mm and 77mm.... I have screw on filters for the rest.

I think I'm just going to live with not having filters on my 138mm lenses. (Or renting.)

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Thanks! The Tiffen holder actually looks pretty affordable ($70 or so)
    Yeah, I don't think the Pro100 was the one I was thinking of, it must not have been Tiffen. But I can't find whatever NAB video I thought I saw it in, so I could've hallucinated it. Anyway, I find the Lee's very easy to work with, hope you'll be happy with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the Pro100 was the one I was thinking of, it must not have been Tiffen. But I can't find whatever NAB video I thought I saw it in, so I could've hallucinated it. Anyway, I find the Lee's very easy to work with, hope you'll be happy with them!
    The 95mm push-on adapter is great so far. A little loose fitting on the Angenieux, but not bad at all. No vignetting from what I can see. Recommended.