Thread: Netflix - The Laundromat - Monstro camera and lenses?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Maybe the lenses are Sigma. There are only so many lenses that cover Monstro 8K. If they were Cook S7 they would have yellow markings and if they were Leica they would have neon green. They could be CP2 or CP3. Damn man, if the lenses used on that show were Sigma I would be blown away, especially how cheap they are. You can get a set for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    Maybe the lenses are Sigma. There are only so many lenses that cover Monstro 8K. If they were Cook S7 they would have yellow markings and if they were Leica they would have neon green. They could be CP2 or CP3. Damn man, if the lenses used on that show were Sigma I would be blown away, especially how cheap they are. You can get a set for peanuts.
    In the pic his lens does have white markings like Sigmas....
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Most likely Monstro. They had the budget, don't see why they wouldn't. Agreed, you can't trust IMDB with all the info. -- And on the topic of the Epic Dragon or even the Epic MX sensor, I've captured and seen footage that leaves some guessing if it's film or digital. You can get beautiful imagery with both sensors. Operator Error and Post can fuck up a good thing really quick. I own a Weapon Helium and have shot back to back with both cameras, after matching the looks, it's hard to tell between the two. Trust me, I know there's advancements with Helium and the color pipeline. They're all great cameras.
    Trenton Massey
    Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Producer
    www.ambientskies.com
    trenton@ambientskies.com

In Yedlin’s resolution demo (not that display prep demo) he compares a bunch of different cameras - Alexa, Alexa 65, Sony F65 (or F55), Weapon 6k, etc - to 35mm and 65mm film, and the differences are negligible/indistinguishable after his emulation. The Alexa 65 was the sharpest/cleanest, but only when you zoom-in 1:1 at full resolution and compare back to back with the others... with the exception of 35mm & 65mm (which were way noisier/grainier and much softer regardless of scan resolution.)

I’m with Phil in that Dragon and newer are what I consider “contemporary” RED sensors. They’re all in the same ballpark in terms of colour and DR, but their sensor size/max resolution/cleanliness all differ (Monstro having the best of those variables, but also being twice the cost of the others.)

More on topic, Laundromat was clearly DSMC2, but that means it could be anything from Dragon to Monstro (likely depends on when production was... Weapon 6k was out for a ~year+ before Helium/Gemini/Monstro). Also I think it’s just a smarter move using lenses with FF35/VV coverage since then you can use full Dragon 6k/Gemini 5k/Helium 8k/Majority of Monstro sensor, so even the lenses aren’t a bulletproof indication.

The DSMC1 Epic Dragon definitely looks better with the newer IPP2 colour processing in post.
    Hadn't used it for some time until a no-budget music video I shot a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised when grading it in resolve using the IPP2 pipeline from the RAW. Without using any secondaries, it got me 90% there, even with loads of out of gamut coloured gels lighting. I even pushed it beyond iso800 in places (LL OLPF).

But yes no doubt helium &, even more so, gemini colours are even better too. Though the prices that used epic dragons (and used Alexa Classics!) are going for now, it's a great time for young budding DoP's to get plenty of bang for their bucks, both in terms of colour fidelity and great-looking footage overall.

It feels like just the right time for RED to be bringing out the lightweight Komodo for $5-6K. Especially when there's so many good options out there on the used market (with a lot less financial depreciation to worry about too ; )).
    The tiny lightweight form factor, 12G SDI, rad lens mount that seems to be just about adaptable to anything (personally I would love to see someone have a go at a B4 mount : )) plus the EXT port is going to be massive. Hydrogen discount is fab too.

Craig Lees
    UK