Thread: Netflix - The Laundromat - Monstro camera and lenses?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Netflix - The Laundromat - Monstro camera and lenses? 
    I love look of "The Laundromat" on Netflix. Does anyone know what RED camera and lenses this was shot on? The IMDB says Red Epic, but the colors look too saturated to be Epic. The film looks beautiful, lovely colors. The lenses are gorgeous too. I've searched everywhere and there is no info on the gear used. In a recent interview in Filmmaker, Soderbergh talks about shooting his latest movie on Komodo and not knowing what do do with his 3 Monstro bodies. Was Laundromat shot on Monstro?
    Last edited by Will Vazquez; 02-13-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Pretty sure it was shot on Monstro... Not sure which lenses. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Buchanan View Post
    Pretty sure it was shot on Monstro... Not sure which lenses. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    IMDB says shot on EPIC, no mention of lenses.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    The colours where too saturated? What does that have to do with the camera? I sincerely hope you are familiar with the concept of post production, including image processing?

That said, everyone that has an professional opinion about the look of moving images, should see this:

http://yedlin.net/DisplayPrepDemo/index.html
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

[QUOTE=Jens Jakob Thorsen;1889803]The colours where too saturated? What does that have to do with the camera? I sincerely hope you are familiar with the concept of post production, including image processing?

Yes I am very familiar with image processing. Newer bodies after Epic have better dynamic range and color fidelity and saturation. This is not an opinion, but fact. You can only push saturation so much, but if the meat isn't there, it isn't there. There is a difference in color on Season 1 "stranger things" shot on Epic Dragon and Season 2 shot on Weapon Helium. Even Tim Ives says "“The new RED Helium made the look a little less muddy, it seemed a little clearer and little more filmic.." Here is link.

https://www.definitionmagazine.com/j...ranger-returns

The sample Yedlin uses are shot with Alexa and 35mm film, no RED cameras there. I know what your saying about processing. But I'm sorry, not matter how much you try to post process footage from the RED One MX, the color is never going to look as good as Helium.

I guess the camera and lenses used on "The Laundromat" will remain a secret mystery, as no one seems to know for sure. If it was shot on Epic Dragon, I'll be impressed. Never liked the look of that camera's colors. Maybe it was the old pipeline processing.

On a pure level, it is true the newer bodies and sensor have improved color. But I think there's more minutiae to explore here than that nuance.

The real spicy improvement has been in color, linearity, IR elimination as well as various improvements in the image pipeline both on a hardware and optical level which even helps the REDCODE RAW encoding.

Lots of advancements over the years. Some subtle, some big.

My personal take, and most here know this and most of the industry agrees with me. Dragon onward = pretty damn good color off of RED cameras. It was the first sensor RED made that got some film purists to switch even. And that was in the DSMC1 days.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    IMDB says shot on EPIC, no mention of lenses.
    Never trust IMDb, IMO. Their technical specs sections are so hit and miss it's hard to know what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

The real spicy improvement has been in color, linearity, IR elimination as well as various improvements in the image pipeline both on a hardware and optical level which even helps the REDCODE RAW encoding.

Lots of advancements over the years. Some subtle, some big.

Thank you Phil. My main point for the OP is that "The Laudromat" is so beautiful that I would love to know what Camera and Lenses were used. I'm an Alexa owner and although a couple of years ago I favored the Alexa over the RED cameras, I'm really impressed by the images that I'm seeing lately coming for REDs. If it's the new image pipeline extracting that lovely color from the Epic Dragon, then it's awesome that one bought a camera 4 years ago and it's gotten better and better. I'm still hoping to find out the camera/lens combo for the film, as I'm interested in renting it for some tests to see if I used it for my next project. Rock on.

I found this higher res photo of behind the scenes in Variety. The cameras appear to be DSMC2. So high probability it was shot on Monstro. Especially because he mentioned in the Filmmaker article about loving Komodo and no knowing what to do with his 3 Monstro bodies. Wonder what the lenses were? Leica, Sigma FF?

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    I found this higher res photo of behind the scenes in Variety. The cameras appear to be DSMC2. So high probability it was shot on Monstro. Especially because he mentioned in the Filmmaker article about loving Komodo and no knowing what to do with his 3 Monstro bodies. Wonder what the lenses were? Leica, Sigma FF?

That's what I thought... I remember him also talking about using the Monstros and figured it was on that film.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com