Thread: Got time to kill? Help out someone with badly underexposed negativess and bad scans

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Got time to kill? Help out someone with badly underexposed negativess and bad scans 
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Have a look at the photo at the top of this thread, taken with a disposable camera:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...o-fix.5518861/

Do you think that tools like Nuke or Baselight can help get rid of those scanner artefacts (i.e. lines that run up and down the frame)? I'm not yet sure if the photographer has access to the negs.

Not much can help the underexposure, I guess, but maybe a deep scan can improve things a tiny bit.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Nope.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

This was the best I could do, but I lost shadow detail. Feeling like an idiot for not being able to go farther, but others should be able to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uevci4a9v8...00%29.psd?dl=0

Yeah, those aren't really salvageable. As one of the first posts writes... getting into film with a disposable camera is not a good entry point. Even if the person has a background in film photography, they should know the limits of disposables - fixed aperture, focal length, and shutter. Looks like they were hoping to get something like an f/2.8 when all of those cameras have an f/8 or f/16.

Those scratches, btw, are either from poor removal of the film being loaded onto the developing reel (or machine, if it was a bigger place that automates the process) or scratches from the film not being put onto the spool correctly on the disposable camera (a manufacturer's error) so when the shooter advanced, it kept consistent scratches.

You might want to look a the offerings from Topaz Labs, not that they can perform miracles but cool stuff
    Paul Lee

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Even you, Marc!

Matt, that's a pretty good effort I must say. The real problem seems to be massive underexposure, I think.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Thanks, Karim. I suspect I did something wrong with transfer modes and lost some shadow detail. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, though. The underexposure I don't know how to fix regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Even you, Marc! Matt, that's a pretty good effort I must say. The real problem seems to be massive underexposure, I think.
    I hate to overpromise and underdeliver.

Often, when confronted with something this bad from a paying client, all we can do is wince and say, "well, I can make it different." But unsalvageable is unsalvageable." Badly-underexposed digital is just as bad.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

AI to the rescue?...

Maybe Nvidia will make this available some day...

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/ai...grainy-photos/
    - Scarlet 996 -

Its still underexposed and I don't know how to get rid of scan lines

or More underexposed much less scan lines

Last edited by rand thompson; 02-17-2020 at 05:47 PM.