Thread: 8K Canon EOS R5 Announced

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 8K Canon EOS R5 Announced 
    Just saw this. https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-eos-r...8k-video-ibis/

So is the R5 a spiritual successor/mirrorless 5D?

Anyway 8k, but no word on if it'll have raw like the 1D. IBIS, which is also nice.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 02-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Highly doubt RAW. Since they mention "you can take stills" from it, it sounds like Motion Jpeg. They wrote exactly the same for the 1DX Mark II and it had Motion JPEG. Camera will probably have 40-44 megapixel. Seems like a nice camera, probably not great at filming but still impressive.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    My prediction: by the time it's released, it won't be the magical camera that some people think it is. Sony's A7sIII will probably have a global shutter, while the R5 will probably have a rolling shutter. The A7sIII will have 5-6K at up to 60fps, 4K at 96-120fps. The Sony will as usual have more DR - probably. Sony will put balance over outright resolution, and will continue to dominate that space. Neither camera will be cheap.

Bonus: the next Fuji (X-H2?) could be 6K, keeping with S35 - an arguably more useful camera than the other two, as long as DR is up there and rolling shutter isn't too bad.

Disclaimer: I have no plan to buy any of these cameras. But I do like to speculate for fun. I am not too bad at it.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Won't say much about this, but I've been sort of dropping hints for months with statements like "Canon is the sleeping giant" and all that.

Something has changed there in the last 1-1.5 years.

This isn't a camera to compete against the A7sIII, on a photography level competes against the A7rIV.

The R5, which initially I thought was called the RS and that's an obvious mistake to be made, is supposed to be a mirrorless option for 5Ds and 5DsR shooters with a focus on video as well.

One thing that is very, very interesting is that while 8K video is discussed we have no idea how much of that sensor is "used for 8K video". i.e. Stills might be higher resolution and significantly so.

What I do know is Canon is looking to solve various criticisms regarding their cameras and particularly with the smaller pixel pitch high res stuff, they've put new focus in DR and low light even no sensors exceeding 50-70 megapixels.

Don't know about RAW video support, if it does I would suspect a similar RAW codec to the 1DX III and perhaps only with a 6K mode or something.

The bigger questions for many of us will be 8K 30p or 60p support. We're seeing more 8K 30p options rise up at the moment.

I guess we'll get back into the "resolution isn't everything" from some corners, but much like many of the newer sensor technologies, Monstro included, it's a combined effort to improve things on all fronts. Color, DR, Resolution, etc... And it's important to remember that with more pixel resolution you have more color and tonal resolution for a given finishing resolution, which is very important to some people. It's one of the many reasons why oversampling is so essential in the RED world.

Strangely I shouldn't have to mention that, but it's still a conversation point. Most here probably "get it" by now. Most of the industry has as well as this point.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

5. #5 I am expecting video options will be limited 
    The EOS R was a phenomenal disappointment, in terms of video. To begin with the video was not sharp (lots of reviews mention this). Even with the sharpness turned up. The sensor could just not handle daylight (it was slightly sharper indoors). And the color was just plain off. I have so many hours of turquoise sky that I am literally questioning what color the sky is. Its blue right? I could swear the sky was blue. And finally the 8 bit log was impossible to push around in post. There was just no reason to release an 8 bit log format, it was that bad. Banding like you cannot believe.

Canon clearly decided this camera was not going to eat away at any of the CXX sales. If they keep the same 8 bit log format (internal) in the R5 it will limit the camera to being just a photog tool. I think they figured out how to both expand the specs of the R line (add in 8k) while ensuring it will never really be a useful video tool (with the amazingly bad log format).

Well it wasn't a video camera. It was a photo camera and was very successful in that market especially to introduce the RF lenses. It was also around $1k or is now. Very popular with the bloggers etc.

Rumours are suggesting 8K topping out at 30p, which is totally fine if it ends up at ~$3k. I think HFR at lower resolutions is more up for debate; wouldn't mind 8k/30p, 6k/60p, 4k/120p, 2k/240p for a ~5Dish price tag.

Very curious if it does 8k>4k downscale in camera (as that would imply it doesn't use line-skipping, which makes sense since 8k = ~35mp 16:9 which would put the 3:2 FF35 sensor at ~41+mp).

Raw is the big question mark; the data rate of the 1D's 5.5k raw is already pretty aggressive and if they used ~5:1 Canon Raw Lite it would seriously dig into the C500mk2 sales (being that this is 8k). Who knows, they may surprise us.

Jim, are you sure you're not confusing EOS R with EOS M? I know EOS M was largely a flop, but the R (and RF lenses) seem to be doing quite well in the stills arena. And it's only going to get better moving forward (the writing is on the wall for DSLRs and EOS R is Canon's professional mirrorless, so I think they're committed.)

Looking forward to the upcoming EOS R5 & R6. I’ve owned two R’s since they started shipping.

In combination with my C200, I’ve shot network tv pilots, documentaries, and commercials with them. I couldn't be happier with my EOS R cameras. Plenty of fire power to make incredible images.
    Alkali Digital
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor | UFOlogist