Thread: Is it worth it to sell a Raven in 2020?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Is it worth it to sell a Raven in 2020? 
    I bought my Raven in 2017 and used it on a handful of commercial projects that year and in 2018. But in 2019 I found myself doing a lot more digital work which didn't require such high end cameras, and now my Raven kind of just sits in a case and has for almost a year. I don't rent it out because I dislike the idea of someone I don't know using such an expensive tool of mine, even with the proper insurance, and the rental costs for Raven in my area (LA) are so low ($135-200/day) that it's barely worth the risk.

I'm considering trying to sell the whole package, but with the camera being relatively old I'm wondering if it's even worth what I could get for it in 2020. The camera's in great condition, it has low hours, and is a full package (batteries, media, support, etc.) - but I'm not sure that I could get a reasonable amount for it at this point in time. It might be more worthwhile to hold onto it and use it where and when I can, and hopefully over time I'll make more money off it.

What do y'all think? Is selling a Raven in 2020 a futile effort, or are there still people out there looking to get their hands on one for a reasonable price?
    Sean Finnegan
    Director / DP @ 100 Thieves
    Twitter | Instagram | IMDB
    RED RAVEN #178

While I have a top end Helium...I still keep a Scarlet MX. You know why? Cuz it records compressed wavelet .r3d. Selling it would get me nothing. Using it gets me ahead every day I turn it on. YMMV.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Iif you doubt you ROI after 3 years then my advice is to sell. You can still get some money back. When Komodo is out I think there will be a quite hefty price drop for all dmc2 cameras, new and especially for used cameras.

I would try sell it in bits, its a good backup /b camera to any dsmc2 holder think many would like to buy it without accessories. And the same for touchscreen, evf, battery plate and such all those holds pretty good value.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

At first I was very hesitant to let my friend use my camera let alone to rent my camera out to strangers.. but, after the first scratch and the second and the third... I'm now renting my camera out to just anyone under my direct supervision. Surprisingly the demand is quite high and it pays itself off in a year of rental only income. It is a tool, a great one, don't let it sits for too long.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    At first I was very hesitant to let my friend use my camera let alone to rent my camera out to strangers.. but, after the first scratch and the second and the third... I'm now renting my camera out to just anyone under my direct supervision. Surprisingly the demand is quite high and it pays itself off in a year of rental only income. It is a tool, a great one, don't let it sits for too long.

Direct supervision? So you're only doing wet hires and not dry hires?

A bit different perhaps from the OP, unless he is getting hired on to the shoots as well for a labour fee on top.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I would be tempted to sell mine for that price, even though mine is a much better pkg. But the way I'm thinking now is the RAVEN will be a great B cam to the Komodo.

And, by adding an adaptor I am able to shoot using a MF lens that I doubt I could shoot more pleasing footage using just about any other camera. But still, that price for everything (since none of it fits a Komodo) would go a long way toward outfitting two Komodos. '-)
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    Direct supervision? So you're only doing wet hires and not dry hires?

A bit different perhaps from the OP, unless he is getting hired on to the shoots as well for a labour fee on top.
    I applied some additional fee as a "technical advisor" and mostly just sitting there talking with the production team assisting them with technical support if they are not familiar with the camera (mostly the indie guys).. But for those seasoned pros with bigger team I just drop off and leave the camera with them and pick it up later when they are finished.
    SCARLET-W #004760

At this point, I’m not sure there would be too much demand for a Raven at $9,500 when you could get an Epic Dragon or a lower DSMC2 around that price, let alone competing digital cinema cameras. If you have it then by all means keep using it, it would be something a little heavier duty than a Blackmagic Pocket 4K and it is a 4K-capable R3D camera after all with the signature RED look to boot. I still keep my 5D Mark II around despite having a Nikon D850 and the potential to pick up a used Sony A7R II for not a lot of money. It’s still a heavy duty camera and 21 megapixel full frame stills are still very handy for texture gathering and general photos. But if you aren’t going to use the camera then by all means get what you can now while you still can as NAB is just around the corner.

As mentioned I just let an Epic-W go for $8,600. If you can get 9k for a Raven then more power to you. If you have the time to wait for the price you want......