Thread: 3x KOMODO for 6144p master shots?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 3x KOMODO for 6144p master shots? 
    Seems like KOMODO could be inexpensive enough to rig as a three-headed 9k x 6k camera system. Kinda like how Phil Holland rigged 3x Monstros to create 13k x 8k aerial shots of LA and other places.

Thoughts?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

To me such rigs is almost only good for arials. As soon as things get close to camera they fail, also huge problem with lensflares which get problematic quite qickly if not shoting with the light in your back.

And simply you dont get 6x9k out of 3 komodo as you need quite a bit of overlap to stich the canvas. Depends what you do ofcourse but I would deduct atleast 20% for the seams then you are down below 8k... and yes then its far more easy to use a monstro instead and your picture will actually hold up better as you also loose a lot of resolution / soften the image in the stitching process if shooting 3x6k.

For speherical things like 360 or 270 or such where resolution is not so important kommodo is better than dsmc2 as they are smaller. But still the size cause way more nodal problems then what a gopro setup or such get.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Array filming is a bit of a specialty for me over the years and as Björn mentions there's always certain things that you must stay on top of.

Overlap in general I recommend 20-33%, but if you know what you are doing you can get away with far less. Some of the footage you've seen from me is < 10% overlap, which greatly helps on keeping camera count down, but unless you fully test that and have a very good understanding the optics you're using I would go the safer route.

Komodo is something I fully plan on working with for arrays however as it has one particular feature alarmingly useful for such activities.

We'll see. I've already had conversations about some pretty large arrays based on Komodo. I suspect the first few you see from me will be smaller setups.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Array filming is a bit of a specialty for me over the years and as Björn mentions there's always certain things that you must stay on top of.

Overlap in general I recommend 20-33%, but if you know what you are doing you can get away with far less. Some of the footage you've seen from me is < 10% overlap, which greatly helps on keeping camera count down, but unless you fully test that and have a very good understanding the optics you're using I would go the safer route.

Komodo is something I fully plan on working with for arrays however as it has one particular feature alarmingly useful for such activities.

We'll see. I've already had conversations about some pretty large arrays based on Komodo. I suspect the first few you see from me will be smaller setups.
    Looking forward to you testing the waters.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    as it has one particular feature alarmingly useful for such activities.
    GLOBAL SHUTTER!!??
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/