Thread: What to buy and how it all fits

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What to buy and how it all fits 
    Hi all

I've been following the RED One for a while now and my company is just about to send out our first order. We've been through the store and attempted to build the camera and select all the correct bits. However as there aren't many RED one cameras in Scotland (and none we can get hold of just to demo) we're hitting a bit of a problem when it comes to figuring out how each "bit" contributes to the whole. I mean do I really need a Top handle, Top Handle extension and a Handle Bracket??? Does the Arri plate work with the Dovetail shoulder mount or do I need a RED cradle if I'm not buying any Drives??? Are there any exploded isometric diagrams off what each component does and where exactly it fits? Or maybe a QT VR with labels of each component?

There are a so many components and without the chance to demo with a complete selection it's hard to know if we even need most of it.

Essentially we need a solid setup for Tripod and shoulder operation.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.
    "If it ain't broke, don't touch it!"

This is the same issue we all have had.

I really didn't understand it until it all showed up. Now it makes sense where everything fits in.

The Base Production Pack certainly gets you started. With it you can mount to a tripod, have shoulder mount, a couple of rails and a couple and handles.

Some people have trouble with the dovetail mounted to a tripod. Mine is solid as can be. The cheeseplate is supposed to be better. I ordered it but haven't used it since my dovetail is great.

Beyond this, you need to decide what else you want to do. If you want top rails, order them separately. Most like to put the cradle on top rails, but I have it fixed directly to the universal mount on the camera.

For me, I ordered the top handle and am glad I did. I grab it a lot to move the cam around.

Also, if you are using the RED DRIVE, make sure you order a cable or two as they don't come with it.

The cradle comes with the production pack and it's all heavily undervalued so don't worry about it. You still need it to mount the battery.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I've actually been doing a TON of research on packages, software, 3rd party accessories, etc etc etc, and am hoping to write up everything I've found later in September when I have some time to breathe.

May want to try and get in touch with this guy,

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...428#post279428

... a user who purchased in Scotland that looks like he got his recently.

Good luck!
    Pierce Cook
    Director/Producer/Cinematographer

See this post for a lot of good advice: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17099

RED ONE body
    Base Production Pack
    2 RED Power Packs w/ 2 batteries each (unless you already have lots of 14v. batteries and 2-3 chargers)
    Red Bricks - 2 more to add to the 4 that come with the Power packs
    RED LCD 7" or a Carrion http://www.lsdsgn.com/ -- IF you do not already have an HD on-board monitor
    RED CF Module
    RED CF cards -- Either get 2 - 16gb RED CF cards or 5 of the cheaper Lexar 8gb 300X cards (same as the RED)
    And be sure to check out the soon-to-be-available ET shock drive mount for the RED drives that makes the need for using CF cards almost unnecessary.
    RED EVF with the ET (Element Technica) EVF mount
    ET video break-out box
    RED Drive x 2
    Drive Cable x 2
    Mini-xlr to XLR cable - 1 comes with the camera but you will need at least 3 and 4 would give you an extra for backup
    ET top cheeseplate
    Top Handle
    Top Handle Extension -- or Check out the soon-to-be-available ET cheese handle and maybe even skip the ET top cheese plateand RED handles
    BATTERY BELT CLIP
    Red Handle Mount - These are too short. Check out the other options including bike handlebars.
    Red Wingnut set
    Bolt Set
    15 mm Adapter x 2 and 15mm rods -- IF you have a video 15mm matte box or FF
    Universal Mount x 4
    Carbon fiber 18-inch 19mm rods
    RED AC Adapter

http://www.elementtechnica.com/products/

Steve Murray
    www.stevemurray.com

5. #5 RED Pkg 
    Here's what we got in our package:

RED ONE (Serial No. 1720) 1
    RED ZOOM (f2.8) CF 18 - 50mm 1
    RED 50-150mm T3 (f2.8) Zoom 1
    RED EVF Viewfinder 1
    RED LCD Screen (5.6") 1
    EVF Extension Cable 2ft 1
    LCD Extension Cable 2ft 1
    LCD Extension Cable (10ft) 1
    RED ONE POWER PACK 1
    AC POWER ADAPTOR 1
    RED DRIVE 320GB 2
    DRIVE CABLE 2
    RED FLASH (CF) MODULE 1
    COMPACT FLASH 8GB 4
    RED ONE BASIC PRODUCTION PACK 1
    RED ARM 9in 1
    LOGO STICKER (3 in) 6
    ARRI 19mm BASE 1
    RED QUICKPLATE 1
    RED CHEESE PLATE 1
    RED HANDLE MOUNT 1
    RED HANDLE (Left) 1
    TOP HANDLE EXTENSION 1
    SIDE HANDLE 4
    UNIVERSAL MOUNT 2
    BOLT SET 2
    FOCUS HOOK SET 1
    BODY CAP 1
    STEEL 6in ROD 2
    STEEL 12in ROD 2
    STEEL 24in ROD 2
    RED WING NUT 1
    BNC to DIN 1.0 / 2.3 2
    Mini-XLR to XLR Cable 4

It's fairly complete. Ended up with too many bolt sets and allen wrenches. I can't see using the 6 inch rods much. We use our RED for commercial and documentary work. Hope this helps.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGirl Media View Post
    Hi all

I've been following the RED One for a while now and my company is just about to send out our first order. We've been through the store and attempted to build the camera and select all the correct bits. However as there aren't many RED one cameras in Scotland (and none we can get hold of just to demo) we're hitting a bit of a problem when it comes to figuring out how each "bit" contributes to the whole. I mean do I really need a Top handle, Top Handle extension and a Handle Bracket??? Does the Arri plate work with the Dovetail shoulder mount or do I need a RED cradle if I'm not buying any Drives??? Are there any exploded isometric diagrams off what each component does and where exactly it fits? Or maybe a QT VR with labels of each component?

There are a so many components and without the chance to demo with a complete selection it's hard to know if we even need most of it.

Essentially we need a solid setup for Tripod and shoulder operation.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

You are probably better off not getting the base production package, but getting the relevant parts from Element Technica, whose machining is much better overall, or other vendors. The basic production package from Red is kind of a waste if you have to replace most of it. I think a lot of people have done a kind of mix and match thing to get just what they want for what they want to do. The style of production will also dictate what you need -- hand-held run and gun vs full on production. IMHO a lot of the Red hardware is not really very good by industry standards and you are better off either buying from ET, other vendors or buying used Arri stuff. The great thing about Red, however, is that it is so modular you can pretty much pick and choose what you need, or even customize through local machine shops. But give it a lot of thought and get some input from other users. Just my two-bits worth...
    Rob Gardner

Why not come to the IBC next week and try out all the bits.

Wow that was a lot of info in a very short time. These forums are great.

Thank you all, very much.

I'll take some time to digest this info and get back to you all, no doubt with more questions.

Thanks again.
    "If it ain't broke, don't touch it!"

If you can swing it, the element technica base, dovetail and rods are worth the money, especially with their upcoming handheld config. I agree with whoever is on the boards though that keeps saying that $900 is too much for the 19 inch arri base when the 15 is $600. I'm just waiting for it to drop to $600 to buy it. The base production pack is great to get started and I'm still using it, but it's obvious to me that over time I will replace pretty much everything in it. The ET shock cradle is a no brainer, the ET rods are WAY lighter and the dove tail costs me every time I'm forcing it open with a screwdriver...

don't get me wrong, I love my RED and the production pack is a killer value. Just I can tell I will replace every last piece of it. The top handle has broken for some people and that freaks me out too... I don't like to spend money, but I really hate to spend it twice.

I went without the base production pack and got SIM'S top handle, dovetail and breakout box.

I went with ET's O'connor plate.

There really is no "one way".

To confuse you even more...SIM's 3rd party stuff is great too...and no, I don't work for them, I am just a happy customer.

http://69.49.187.192/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
    Dylan Macleod, CSC
    Cinematographer
    LA/NY/TO
    www.dylanmacleod.com