Thread: KOMODO ACCESSORIES (Grips, Cages, Handles...)

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Phil's got a new toy to show us. From his Instagram: "Got the Wooden Camera B-Box in for RED Komodo, which I've needed for something awfully badly. Small, slips in under their battery plate so the rig is still tiny and can even be used with a single BP Batt if that is your path. If this all does what it needs to do with my UltraSync units I'll be really happy."

Almost the same ports as the Tilta Advance Power Distribution module (REC/STOP, TC, CTRL, GLOCK, USB...) but smaller.

Last edited by yann LHENORET; 08-24-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Vocas has some news accessories:
    Side cage, full cage, top handle, multi-purpose top handle, PL-Mount,

🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    Hey Mark,

I don't own either of these accessories, but I'm quite sure you would need to rise WC's clamp (for the top handle) by roughly 6 mm (just a guess!). The dovetail of WC's top handle seems to be wider than a NATO rail, so this will interfere with Revolva's filter wheel, which covers quite a bit of the midsection of the camera body. Besides that, the dovetail is probably a few millimeters too low for the Revolva. I've seen a picture showing an old RED top handle mounted off center just because of that (okay, there was also the tightening screw, but anyway..).

In short, it works after a little bit of tinkering.
    Thank Tom, yep, WC sent me through this photo of the setup:

So it'll work, but the top handle would obscure a lot of the top screen, so a riser would definitely make it more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post

So it'll work, but the top handle would obscure a lot of the top screen, so a riser would definitely make it more useful.
    Red Komodo?!!
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post

Isn't it amazing how fast a tiny, streamlined little camera becomes a messy pile of gak?

Is nobody else wondering when this red one was made?
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Isn't it amazing how fast a tiny, streamlined little camera becomes a messy pile of gak?
    Not really. That’s basically been the case for every small camera - by the time they’re rigged out for conventional production, they become a mess. It’s the one thing that drives me mental with the Alexa Mini.

The only really streamlined cameras are the Alexa LF and SXT-W and the DXL2 (and only if you embrace using their integrated wireless FIZ and video transmission systems, which most don’t).

It makes a lot of sense though. Those “big” cameras become a lot less big (comparatively) when you rig up the small ones to match.

Some of the add-ons seem unnecessarily clumsy. Let's say the WC bottom plate, it's created for a specific rod-distance. Why not create a battery that will fit between camera and bottom plate to make a more efficient use of space. The WC handle and microphone is building height and might be in the way for the internal viewer. The Vocas system, to me, seems less clumsy in that space in front of the Komodo body is used, where the microphone, handle and monitor doesn't obstruct the Komodo viewer or build height.

@Mark,
    thanks for posting an example of how to make it (not) work. I was surprised that it is compatible when the top handle is pulled back, though this is not a desirable rigging option for most people.

@Yann,
    honestly, I don't like the look of Voca's cage/accessories. The only thing that tops out the RF/PL adapters of other manufacturers is that the mount is screwed on to their TimmyRibs which is a good idea when using heavy lenses. Strangely, it seems like this adapter does not make use of the RF locking mechanism, because you can't turn this adapter (with its mounting arms) at all. Oops...
    (hoping they're milling this adapter precisely enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Andi Loor View Post
    Some of the add-ons seem unnecessarily clumsy. Let's say the WC bottom plate, it's created for a specific rod-distance. Why not create a battery that will fit between camera and bottom plate to make a more efficient use of space. The WC handle and microphone is building height and might be in the way for the internal viewer. The Vocas system, to me, seems less clumsy in that space in front of the Komodo body is used, where the microphone, handle and monitor doesn't obstruct the Komodo viewer or build height.
    Because the entire idea behind Wooden Camera's approach is allowing you to modify the camera to fit within common, existing standards. They give you standard 15mm LWS rods, and an Arri dovetail clamp - which can attach directly (and instantly) to a 19mm/15mm studio dovetail. The top handle allows you to mount a conventional Arri-style EVF mount system. The battery plate allows you to mount conventional V or AB-mount batteries (and plug in conventional block batteries if you want). The accessory plate provides you with conventional Timecode and Genlock connectors - all of which allows to camera to get up and running with the accessories and standardised equipment that you already own.

Could you have a tidier rig by creating a baseplate that uses proprietary batteries (or somehow adapts existing ones, like the power baseplate for the upcoming Mavo Edge)? Sure. But then you're forcing people to buy into new standards all over again, which makes your cheap little Red camera, suddenly a lot more expensive.

Personally, the WC top handle and baseplate would be my picks of the bunch so far (though if I got the Kippertie Revolva, I'd have to add a riser to make the WC top handle function normally). I hate separated battery plates though, and the extra cabling they introduce to a rig, so I'd prefer to pair the camera with something like the Tilta V-mount battery adapter plate for power, since that's so much tidier overall.