Thread: KOMODO ACCESSORIES (Grips, Cages, Handles...)

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Wheres the handle with the start and stop record button and the timecode box :P Would love to buy those right away!

Quote Originally Posted by yann LHENORET View Post
    Make some room for KOMODO LINK (Top Pins to USB-C interface):

Damn, I feel like the side handle and Komodo link should have been tied together.... Maybe not enough bandwidth....

I really hope that someone makes a hand grip for this at the correct distance for a single hand operator. This camera is so incredibly small it would be great for someone to make something similar to what you can get with a medium format camera, so far I'm not seeing that anywhere. Obviously this will be a specific use case that is not for everyone but I know for myself that I would use this constantly. All of the grips out there right now are designed for two handed operation. The GDU handles that have been showcased lately do not allow for this.

Here's an example.

Grips like these have been suggested to me thus far

Again the problem here is that the distance between the body of the camera and the handle is too great. When the distance between the camera body and grip is designed for two hand operation and you use it for single hand, you can't brace your wrist against the camera body itself. Immediately it becomes a lot harder to keep the camera steady and all that strain goes onto your wrist flexor. As soon as the distance between the grip and the body is eliminated the strain and control is transferred to your primary forearm muscle (brachioradialis) and it makes doing single hand operation much easier. Without this fatigue sets in very quickly because both forearm muscles are fighting to keep your arm steady.....this is not a common problem, as there have been very few cameras that have been small enough for this to work. One hand on the grip and one on the zoom, if the grip is offset properly you could operate one handed for a very, very long time. Those of you that have shot photographs on a medium format camera probably know what I am referencing. The Mamaiya 645 Tl Pro grip is exactly like this.

Currently the closest solution I have found is if smallrig does not change the design of their cage at all and the rosette remains on the right side. You then pair this with a kino grip, which is attached to this post.
    It would be a real lost opportunity if nobody makes this. A grip that bolts into the right side of the camera body where the timmy ribs would go. I do really like the portkeys grip but its still too far out from the camera body.

One of the things about the komodo that really appeals to me is that I spent most of 2019 working in remote locations, sometimes extremely remote locations, having to hike all the gear in. Basically every pound counts and lugging a Hydrogen body, a set of ronford legs and lenses in a backpack with camping gear always sucks when you've got miles to hike before you shoot. This camera is a massive relief for that and still fitting into a redraw post pipeline. This is obviously very different from those of you using this camera in a studio or commercial shoots, but if nobody produces this I may have to make it myself. For all I know someone may already be making it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Adam D. Ouellette; 07-03-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

Very nice plate. Is it me or the rosettes are oddly positioned? Or maybe they can be placed elsewhere?
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Quote Originally Posted by Chuks Ude View Post
    Looks like Tilta will have a KOMODO rig coming soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKy1N-mCz4
    Hmm.... Vlock plate...Wonder if it's got internal power for hot-swap looks pretty bulky to just be adapter

Wooden Camera RED approved Komodo Accessories

By Newsshooter

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/...o-accessories/

Wooden Camera Website
    https://woodencamera.com/pages/red-k...accessory-kits

ooh, I like the look of Wooden Camera's "B Box" breakout for gimbal/drone work assuming the CTRL port speaks Movi Pro like DSMC2 cameras. 5-pin timecode, interesting; don't need Genlock, but still. Exciting times

It doesn't look like that timecode box allows enough space to have a battery in the first slot... They might wanna rework that cable length. And I personally hate the design, structure, price, and ergonomics of the 15mm base plate... I'll look elsewhere for now I guess.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Canon FD SSC (K35) Primes, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    It doesn't look like that timecode box allows enough space to have a battery in the first slot... They might wanna rework that cable length. And I personally hate the design, structure, price, and ergonomics of the 15mm base plate... I'll look elsewhere for now I guess.
    I can 100% confirm that you can use a BP-955 in camera-rear-left slot with the B-Box and their V-Mount adapter, which also allows for hot swap to a V-Mount or G-Mount. Also their battery plate allows for DC-IN to also be pulled and switch to V-mount or BP-Mount as well. You can use the 975 too, but it's less flexible and weird. Without a BP you can rig flush to the body.

Perhaps a hot take, maybe too much of one. I don't want to get too preachy because I feel fortunate to have tested the bulk of what's coming and stuff that hasn't been announced, don't necessarily want to give anybody free marketing really either for that matter, but if you want an opinion...... This WC gear and something else coming are the most well thought out and flexible for production use IMO. I will say Tilta's battery plate in particular is very interesting and a unique take on things while keeping V-Mount tidy and cable-free. Their stuff will give you your value option for sure. There's a top plate coming that's pretty badass too from another entity, but it's on the pricier side.

There's other stuff coming in this price range from other manufacturers, a bit higher even, and a bit lower as well as notably lower.

I'm curious about other's thoughts on price, because frankly with a battery plate, all the QR plate stuff, top handle, monitor mounts, and rod support I thought this was a pretty affordable option.

The hard one coming from a DSMC2 primary shooter in relationship to all of this is I really did the whole cable-less thing to the extreme. Komodo will inspire the use of D-Tap for accessories for sure mainly because of how small the camera is as well as it being a pretty low power ecosystem. An interesting balance between being able to run a camera I guess for 6 hours off a brick versus 2 hours really.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon