Thread: KOMODO ACCESSORIES (Grips, Cages, Handles...)

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    In the Wooden Camera RED KOMODO Accessory Overview they call out the "SmallHD Focus Komodo monitor". I don't see anything on SmallHD in regards to the monitor. I think Phil showed it off in on of his videos.

Any idea if this is a Komodo specific monitor or did they just call it that in the video?

https://youtu.be/H7y-aqJCgZQ?t=34

Edit: Never mind. Answered my own questions on the SmallHD Instagram.
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

The only thing that I don't like about WC's solutions is that they don't really play to the size of the camera. Their accessories seem entirely built around increasing the size of the camera. I'm personally buying a small camera because I want to keep it small, it seems like what tilta is offering will be more what I'm looking for.
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

Kind of a bummer SmallHD is using L-series batteries. Would've been nice to stick with one type of battery for the Komodo. On the bright side, a "2-pin input feeds system power directly from RED DSMC2 or KOMODO."

They are coming out with camera control for the Komodo, so that's awesome. (source)

Can't purchase monitor with Komodo control right away "*The firmware update for Camera Control for RED® KOMODO™ will be available as soon as September 2020. The license is an additional purchase and not included with this kit."

https://smallhd.com/collections/focus-pro
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

Wooden Camera Wood RED KOMODO Replica

By Wooden Camera

Price $250

I guess you could use this to test accessories with along with other things or you just can't wait to get your Komodo.

BHPhotovideo

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Key Features
    Wood Replica of RED KOMODO Camera

1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 Mounts on Top & Base

ARRI-Type Rosette on Side

Two Threads and Locating Hole

This Wood RED KOMODO Model from Wooden Camera is a detailed wooden replica of the camera which features threaded accessory mounting holes on top and bottom. Designed as an accurate replica of the camera's overall form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I can 100% confirm that you can use a BP-955 in camera-rear-left slot with the B-Box and their V-Mount adapter, which also allows for hot swap to a V-Mount or G-Mount. Also their battery plate allows for DC-IN to also be pulled and switch to V-mount or BP-Mount as well. You can use the 975 too, but it's less flexible and weird. Without a BP you can rig flush to the body.
    Wait I'm confused. It looks like the V-mount adapter goes in the battery-left slot and the B-Box goes in the right one. How is it possible to hot-swap with a 955 then?
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa" : Komodo ST #389 "TK-421"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    Wait I'm confused. It looks like the V-mount adapter goes in the battery-left slot and the B-Box goes in the right one. How is it possible to hot-swap with a 955 then?
    Without the V-Mount Plate you can use a BP Battery, he expressed concern you could not. With just the V-Mount plate (no B-Box) you have the ability to hot swap.

Should have been a bit clearer I guess.

Trying to say by not taking up both slots you have the option to hot swap that way if you want. Or not, you get to choose basically.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Adam D. Ouellette View Post
    The only thing that I don't like about WC's solutions is that they don't really play to the size of the camera. Their accessories seem entirely built around increasing the size of the camera. I'm personally buying a small camera because I want to keep it small, it seems like what tilta is offering will be more what I'm looking for.
    The unneeded spoiler alert will be any accessories you add to Komodo will make it larger. Some larger than others. What is good is you can pair it way, way down. Sometimes bit by bit as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    Kind of a bummer SmallHD is using L-series batteries. Would've been nice to stick with one type of battery for the Komodo. On the bright side, a "2-pin input feeds system power directly from RED DSMC2 or KOMODO."

They are coming out with camera control for the Komodo, so that's awesome. (source)

Can't purchase monitor with Komodo control right away "*The firmware update for Camera Control for RED® KOMODO™ will be available as soon as September 2020. The license is an additional purchase and not included with this kit."

https://smallhd.com/collections/focus-pro

Agreed on the L-Series over BP, but that is sort of the way of the world on displays in modern history. However, via D-Tap = it just doesn't matter:

And I guess at this point it's pretty obvious that yes, that new Focus Pro and I believe a couple other displays will provide Komodo Control. Other manufacturers are working on this too.

To add to some chaos about displays, I mentioned it in my thread, but some are built to be lower power draw. The really bright stuff and certainly larger screens draw more power. If you are using batteries on the bright stuff you might be swapping 4-8 times a day for instance if you have things fully pumped up, whereas on lower draw efficient displays maybe 1-2 battery swaps.

Meaningless if you can't see the screen in daylight if that's a problem, so you have to find your way via brightness or lens hood or *gasp* EVF.

Oddly I'm finding more and more it's about balance and what you want out of Komodo in terms of rigging and uptime. I like running the camera off a V-Mount with accessories and getting 4-6 hours of uptime, it's insane actually. But I have some displays that cut that in half due to draw. I also like running just with the BPs sometimes and a single battery low draw display because that's so nimble. Everyone will choose their own path really.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Adam D. Ouellette View Post

Again the problem here is that the distance between the body of the camera and the handle is too great. When the distance between the camera body and grip is designed for two hand operation and you use it for single hand, you can't brace your wrist against the camera body itself. Immediately it becomes a lot harder to keep the camera steady and all that strain goes onto your wrist flexor. As soon as the distance between the grip and the body is eliminated the strain and control is transferred to your primary forearm muscle (brachioradialis) and it makes doing single hand operation much easier. Without this fatigue sets in very quickly because both forearm muscles are fighting to keep your arm steady.....this is not a common problem, as there have been very few cameras that have been small enough for this to work. One hand on the grip and one on the zoom, if the grip is offset properly you could operate one handed for a very, very long time. Those of you that have shot photographs on a medium format camera probably know what I am referencing. The Mamaiya 645 Tl Pro grip is exactly like this.

Isn't this the same for DSMC2 cameras? I mean, even with the handles close to the camera, you still had the distance you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Wooden Camera RED approved Komodo Accessories

Is it fair to be wary of anything WC makes with power? I mean, the DSMC2 top plates were causing some people's cameras to short out, and the battery plates eventually needed to be disassembled by those of us who bought into them because you needed to "update the microSD card" for it to continue functioning properly with RED. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Without the V-Mount Plate you can use a BP Battery, he expressed concern you could not. With just the V-Mount plate (no B-Box) you have the ability to hot swap.

Should have been a bit clearer I guess.

Trying to say by not taking up both slots you have the option to hot swap that way if you want. Or not, you get to choose basically.
    Got it. I was like, "Oh! Maybe there's a spot for a 955 on the plate between the plate and the camera body?" Would be cool but probably asking too much.

Man, I'm torn between the clean cable-free design from Tilta and the ability to hot-swap from WC.
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa" : Komodo ST #389 "TK-421"