Thread: KOMODO 4-CAMERA STITCH ARRAY...help!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hardware will really depend on your workflow and needs, but you will 100% need to do some pixel peeping. My stitching workflow is 16-bit uncompressed, so big data and data rates. That's not for everybody though for sure.

Quality control is key for pulling of a seamless stitched sequence. Most people who even saw my NY stuff in 2017 didn't know it was stiched, even though that actually was only about 80% done. There are stitching errors in there actually, but YouTube compression and downsampling hid my evils and I was determined to release that pre-NAB that year, I was the single source for post on that, but the final piece was all tidy about a month later. As well as the crazy birds flying through frame shot I published later. That one wasn't fun. Didn't some weird adaptive transform mesh junk, comp a smidge, water is always "fun", but a pixel accurate stitch makes pains go away. The hard stuff is moving close and far away from objects and moving through space as well. Further away = much easier stitch. Stationary camera = much easier stitch.

Beyond that, patience. You'll have some long renders if you're trying to get up there. For the 32K stuff we deliver tiled deliverables, which isn't fun. 16K I can delivery in a single file and there is stuff that can play that back. Most of it is split into 4K or 8K tiles though if it is being displayed at higher resolution.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Hardware will really depend on your workflow and needs, but you will 100% need to do some pixel peeping. My stitching workflow is 16-bit uncompressed, so big data and data rates. That's not for everybody though for sure.

Quality control is key for pulling of a seamless stitched sequence. Most people who even saw my NY stuff in 2017 didn't know it was stiched, even though that actually was only about 80% done. There are stitching errors in there actually, but YouTube compression and downsampling hid my evils and I was determined to release that pre-NAB that year, I was the single source for post on that, but the final piece was all tidy about a month later. As well as the crazy birds flying through frame shot I published later. That one wasn't fun. Didn't some weird adaptive transform mesh junk, comp a smidge, water is always "fun", but a pixel accurate stitch makes pains go away. The hard stuff is moving close and far away from objects and moving through space as well. Further away = much easier stitch. Stationary camera = much easier stitch.

Beyond that, patience. You'll have some long renders if you're trying to get up there. For the 32K stuff we deliver tiled deliverables, which isn't fun. 16K I can delivery in a single file and there is stuff that can play that back. Most of it is split into 4K or 8K tiles though if it is being displayed at higher resolution.
    I've been under the assumption I'll have to shoot as stationary (heh, probably just set all the lenses to f/11 and go from there. '-)

I'll just move the array around, closer, farther to get my variety of shots... plus, I'll likely trim the stitched image to use parts of it to cut down to a smaller final image size for exhibition... also, the script I have in mind doesn't have a lot of action shots so hopefully that translates to easier post.

But I gotta admit... hardware for workflow scares me.
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)

It is close to impossible to beat MISTIKA SGO tools for optical flow stitching in addition to the some of the best lens and geometry correction tools you can find . And you can create a template for your custom rig and dramatically accelerate stitching process. Monthly subscription model allows you to pay-per-project. https://www.sgo.es/mistika-boutique/
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    It is close to impossible to beat MISTIKA SGO tools for optical flow stitching in addition to the some of the best lens and geometry correction tools you can find . And you can create a template for your custom rig and dramatically accelerate stitching process. Monthly subscription model allows you to pay-per-project. https://www.sgo.es/mistika-boutique/
    A cursory look at the website suggests they are deeply involved in making stitching easier. I like the idea of the one month subscription at reasonable rates. Thanks Mark.
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)