Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's Cine RF Mount & Adapter F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Based on the fact that we've seen Matthew in the freezing cold getting pelted by wetness and snow, I've got little worry about using Komodo in heated or frosty conditions.

In my own personal experinece I've had the DSMC and DSMC2 bodies in a pretty vast range of weather conditions without issue as well.

I will say though, water always wins. Nothing is waterproof, even in underwater housings. There's only levels of water resistance until it's resilience and determination show you that resistance is futile.

Signed,

The Borg
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Any idea on how the newest EF-RF speedbooster will work with KOMODO? Saw this today and wondering if it will still cover the sensor at max resolution/get us closer to lenses acting like FF? I own a set of FD primes and want to have them converted to EF/cinevised and this might just push me to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henaghan View Post
    Any idea on how the newest EF-RF speedbooster will work with KOMODO? Saw this today and wondering if it will still cover the sensor at max resolution/get us closer to lenses acting like FF? I own a set of FD primes and want to have them converted to EF/cinevised and this might just push me to get it done.
    It should. Metabones is using the same glass element on their adapters in this category and coverage "should work". I have one being sent over and I'll test it out.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henaghan View Post
    Speedbooster works great on Komodo. I shot with this combo and it is great for low light and to achieve extreme wide angle shots with high optical performance.
    Markus Förderer, ASC, BVK
    www.markusforderer.com
    https://www.instagram.com/markusforderer

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Foerderer View Post
    Speedbooster works great on Komodo. I shot with this combo and it is great for low light and to achieve extreme wide angle shots with high optical performance.
    Yep, the PL has been gravy.

The first EF>RF just arrived a bit ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-aXtwBnC9J/

Honestly not expecting any real issues as the glass is the same, mostly concerned about interface and lens control/data pass through.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this Phil, currently building a vintage full frame kit that I will use with Komodo.

Metabones speed booster seems to be the way to go in a lot of situations for full frame glass.

Any chance you slapped a C mount lens on that bad boy in your tests?

it would appear that this adapter is recessed just enough to meet the flange distance... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mount_eos.html

Looks like it would work if the lens is willing to mate with the adapter, i see girth being an issue in a few cases.

If so please spill all you can, as I am very curious on the usability of 16mm lenses around what i am guessing to be 3-2k... or whatever covers...

if not, Ill have to dig into it myself in a few months time :)

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan VerKuilen View Post
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this Phil, currently building a vintage full frame kit that I will use with Komodo.

Metabones speed booster seems to be the way to go in a lot of situations for full frame glass.

it would appear that this adapter is recessed just enough to meet the flange distance... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mount_eos.html

Looks like it would work if the lens is willing to mate with the adapter, i see girth being an issue in a few cases.

If so please spill all you can, as I am very curious on the usability of 16mm lenses around what i am guessing to be 3-2k... or whatever covers...

if not, Ill have to dig into it myself in a few months time :)

Thanks!!
    I definitely want to use some of my 16mm glass on Komodo. 2k 16:9 Red format (2048x1152) vignettes very slightly in the corners at the wide end with my Angenieux 12-120 HEC on the Bolex. A 105% DVE push in eliminates it. The pixel pitch is smaller for Komodo, 4.4 micron vs 5 micron for the Bolex, so the lens should cover Komodo without vignetting. The Angie 12-240 doesn't vignette at all and might cover 2.5K, but probably not 3k. Image circle diameter for the Bolex 2k 16:9 is 11.58mm, between 16mm and S16mm frame size. Some super 16mm lenses might fully cover 3K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan VerKuilen View Post
    I have a C-Mount Adapter here and literally one C-Mount lens, but the good news is with the Flange Focal Distance where it is, you'll likely have a lot of success here.

I'll post this link with the caveat that Komodo's full supported resolution/format list hasn't been sent to me just yet, but with Komodo 3K HD you'll have a very Super 16mm Format:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

I'd bet in most cases 3K FF, 2:1, and WS would also cover.

While we're on the topic of smaller format glass, the MFT Flange Focal Distance is 19.25mm, 0.75mm too shallow for RF. However, I suspect there will be "ways" to get certain MFT glass on there if you really are feeling adventurous.

L-Mount is 20mm and prior to the Covid-19 pause in industry I had several manufacturers confirm RF-Mount versions of L-Mount lenses, or dedicated RF stuff coming. I think a couple of the larger 3rd party companies will tune back into RF this year once Canon drops the next 3 bodies, add Komodo it that list you have a pretty broad range of cameras supporting the new mount.

There's a lot, and I mean a lot, of affordable glass you'll be able to tap into on Komodo via various adapters. I know of a couple things that were about to be announced at NAB which will likely be revealed around the rescheduled Cine Gear time frame, if not sooner.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Came across article about Canon's patent here...hoping it results in electronic version of their EF to EOS R filter adapter.

So... Jumping off on a slight tangent here. Can Komodo work with the control ring version of Canon’s EF to RF adapter? Going to get one and de-click the ring if it works.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.