Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's Cine RF Mount & Adapter F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Great info I'm going to use canon ND,As far as the lens Xeen 35mm Classic , some good lighting will see real damage lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I've been summoned :)

Feel Free to Ask
    Komodo has brought a lot of new peeps to this corner of the internet and hopefully I can be an informative resource for you. I am in the rare position of owning, used, or have tested nearly lens ever made in the last 100+ years. If you have a question, I can likely answer it. I'm super excited about what this new RF-Mount brings to keeping Komodo small but also empowering the more common cinema-minded mount standards to be more flexible than ever.

Hi Phil, thank you so much for all the information thus far. Regarding lenses, do you happen to test Zeiss Contax lenses by any chance? How do they perform with the Komodo?

Many thanks

Im not sure if this has been answered yet. So far there is only EF protocol support. As all modern mirrorless mounts are focus by wire, is it safe to say an RF lens will neither have focus control or aperture control at this point in time?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Burns View Post
    Also thank you for your LUTs, my color grades now have a better base grade than ever before because of your LUTs.
    Appreciate it Clayton.

July is going to be good month for philmColor owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Javier Guana View Post
    Hi Phil, thank you so much for all the information thus far. Regarding lenses, do you happen to test Zeiss Contax lenses by any chance? How do they perform with the Komodo?
    Working fine here. I only have a few focal lengths, but easy enough to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fung View Post
    I’m not sure if this has been answered yet. So far there is only EF protocol support. As all modern mirrorless mounts are focus by wire, is it safe to say an RF lens will neither have focus control or aperture control at this point in time?
    Full Electronic Focus and Iris support is coming for RF. The protocol is extremely new, advanced, and even Canon hasn't spilled all the beans on what it can do from I can see. Combined with RED working hard to get saucy Autofocus working with PDAF and other focusing capabilities, it's taking a hot minute to get it implemented properly.

Don't worry it's coming.

It's occurred to me a lot of people new to the RED ecosystem aren't exactly familiar with aggressive firmware updates and development. In the RED world during the life of a camera there's usually pretty regular firmware updates as things are figured out, refined, bugs are fixed, etc... Sometimes more often than you'd think (or want even), other times as systems mature firmware updates become fewer and farther in between. DSMC2 is a good example as the system is pretty evolved and refined on the firmware side of things.

Komodo being new, just born, will see some early love from the firmware peeps. My favorite silly fix was a complaint I made about a font, it was fixed in the first firmware update. But I shipped over a list or two of tweaks I'd like to see. I'm super looking forward to the next firmware actually.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Does anybody have any experience using one of these cheap EF lens, PL lens, etc. to RF mounts with variable ND from FotodioX? They seem to have an "ND Throttle" model available for almost any conceivable lens/mount combination...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ttle_lens.html
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com

Also...I'm looking into RF adapters from Canon. I'm seeing 4 versions: Standard; With Control Ring; With Drop-In Neutral Density Filter; and With Drop-In Circular Polarizer Filter. I'm not sure that I fully understand the capabilities of the model with the Control Ring in context of using with Komodo. It's twice the price of the Standard version. Anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts anyone?

Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Appreciate it Clayton.

July is going to be good month for philmColor owners.

Working fine here. I only have a few focal lengths, but easy enough to adapt.

Full Electronic Focus and Iris support is coming for RF. The protocol is extremely new, advanced, and even Canon hasn't spilled all the beans on what it can do from I can see. Combined with RED working hard to get saucy Autofocus working with PDAF and other focusing capabilities, it's taking a hot minute to get it implemented properly.

Don't worry it's coming.

It's occurred to me a lot of people new to the RED ecosystem aren't exactly familiar with aggressive firmware updates and development. In the RED world during the life of a camera there's usually pretty regular firmware updates as things are figured out, refined, bugs are fixed, etc... Sometimes more often than you'd think (or want even), other times as systems mature firmware updates become fewer and farther in between. DSMC2 is a good example as the system is pretty evolved and refined on the firmware side of things.

Komodo being new, just born, will see some early love from the firmware peeps. My favorite silly fix was a complaint I made about a font, it was fixed in the first firmware update. But I shipped over a list or two of tweaks I'd like to see. I'm super looking forward to the next firmware actually.
    Understood. I've always wanted to try Canon's new RF lenses, but still have mostly EF lenses right now so it won't really affect me out of the gate. I think the RF mount will be quite the talk among enthusiasts next Thursday when Canon releases their 8K RAW mirrorless body. The 28-70 F2 is also a phenomenal lens and will work great in 6K considering the ~1.3x crop on the Komodo.

It sounds silly, but one of the best DSMC2 updates for me was sometime in the last year or the year before where they finally got rid of the menu lag. It was one day, all of a sudden 1 update later the menu was exceptionally snappy and especially so when scrolling through lists.. I think these days progressive manufacturers all adopt some form of aggressive firmware releases. I was listening to the recent Komodo livestream and it was commented that the original RED One didn't even have camera playback in the first year (I wasn't shooting RED at that point). But I do remember Blackmagic's original rectangular cameras didn't even have audio meters and couldn't even format the hd in the camera during the initial firmware releases.

Looking forward to what this new platform can do and hoping one will be in my hands before the end of the month..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kalbach View Post
    Also...I'm looking into RF adapters from Canon. I'm seeing 4 versions: Standard; With Control Ring; With Drop-In Neutral Density Filter; and With Drop-In Circular Polarizer Filter. I'm not sure that I fully understand the capabilities of the model with the Control Ring in context of using with Komodo. It's twice the price of the Standard version. Anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts anyone?

I'm trying to decide as well. I think the adapter with the drop-in vari-ND is very convenient and makes a very lightweight run-n-gun setup. Vari-NDs aren't always the best, but it makes lens changes in the field for certain types of work so much easier. When the Komodo eventually supports the RF protocol, all RF lenses already have a control ring, so at that point, the control ring adapter would only be useful if you wanted the functionality with EF lenses. But you can use the vari-nd adapter right now AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fung View Post
    I've always wanted to try Canon's new RF lenses.....
    The most interesting thing about the RF Mount Canon has developed is it's still early days really. They've come up with some astonishing new designs, but I strongly think the best is yet to come for both stills and motion related stuff. And we're just seeing 3rd parties jumping in with their glass offerings. Truly looking forward to Sigma eventually supporting the mount with native glass. And Zeiss. Big time.

Just some more thoughts on mount adapters.

There was early murming about Komodo not having user interchangeable mounts like DSMC2/DSMC, but you do have have the ability to adapt a lot of glass to RF, like nearly 70 mounts if you're creative, and I've been trying to showcase that really. I hope that shot of the PL Tokina 135mm T1.5 on there without rod support imbues a sense of confidence, I mean that is what I was testing there. Big chunky glass, playing nicely with a decent PL adapter. The key thing for PL and possibly some EF mount users is to utilize that support foot on the mount adapter for a much, much more rigid connection.

For me we're trying to solve a few things there. Potential image shift when pulling focus or interacting with the lens (zooms), minimizing play or twisting with focus gears interacting with the lens, and helping keep the lens level as intended without ripping the RF mount out on heavier glass.

Somebody told me that rental houses wouldn't use Komodo without a native PL mount and I can 100% say at least 3 have looked at my rigging shots and will be kitting accordingly and in a few special cases building their own custom bits and bobs to make the lens work on their cams. One of those is a predictable answer, the other was a surprise, but it's getting easier to make certain things well. Especially in small numbers for your own fleet of cameras.

One thing to look out for is the cages and how they work with various lens mount adapters. Some are not designed well. Most have been that have traveled through my lab.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    exactly...thats why I was curious. Maybe Jarred will build an L Mount Komodo :)
    I would buy an L-mount Komodo. I understand why the RF mount is being used, adapters and all, but I have no plans to buy RF lenses.