Thread: DaVinci Resolve 16.2 is now available

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Davinci Resolve 16.2 updates!! Sound library, scopes, and 32 bit audio!

By Dave Andrade - Post. Color. Gear.

Resolve 16.2 | 16 Changes

By
    XunileConsulting

After doing some re-testing multiple times, It appears now both of these export settings work with the "REDWideGamut/ Log3G10 IDT"

Does anyone with a nvidia gtx 1080TI have any new problems with this new update? Please step forward=)
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Does anyone with a nvidia gtx 1080TI have any new problems with this new update? Please step forward=)
    What problems are you experiencing? I can try to replicate them over here.
    S-W #6350 "Moonshot"

I have a GTX 1080, and worked yesrterady on red raven footage without a problem

Rohit, looks like some great work on this release, thank you!

I need to express a concern though and it’s in regards to ProRes RAW support in Resolve. I’ll assume you’re not able to discuss this one way or another but as someone who not only uses RED cameras but a variety of other cameras and codecs, I’m frustrated as an enduser to not be able to capture ProRes RAW, edit in FCPX, and then finish in Resolve with the RAW files. I would appeal to BMD to find a way to work with Apple to get this integrated in Resolve. I understand BMD has BRAW but I don’t think it makes sense to keep ProRes RAW out for that reason because as an enduser, I might use both formats depending on the project. I thought perhaps it was an Apple thing, and maybe it is, but then I saw Scratch and Baselight get ProRes RAW support.

So, if you are able to pass this along to powers that be that this is something endusers want, I would really appreciate it. I believe that Resolve should remain codec agnostic as much as possible, assuming that the providers of the codec help you integrate it.

Thanks!
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    But I did find something that supports what you said.

Yeah, that was pretty much it, but even more recently I seem to recall Jarred saying something to the effect of not spending time on a Metal-enabled RCXP, and instead putting those resources towards getting the Metal-enabled SDK out the door first (in order for 3rd parties to implement it faster).

Since that was Dec 2019, and 7.2.1 came out in Feb, I figured it was the SDK that had it in there. Guess not. :(

Rohit, is there any rough ETA for the Metal-acelerated r3d release?

Mike,

Found what you were talking about, but again that was back in December.

I see something about Metal Acceleration in SDK 7.1.0 back in April of last year, but I don't know exactly what that did.

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-10-2020 at 10:59 AM.

YEAH! That's the one!

I believe 'REDMetal image processing' in SDK 7.1 was updating the image processing acceleration that was previously OpenCL and CUDA only (worked on the artist formerly known as Alchemy Group and similar image tweaking) and not decompression, which is where the playback/rendering performance improvements come into play (and what the Rocket cards previously did).

Anyway, the thick plottens; so in Dec 2019 RED had Metal accelerated decompression in an updated SDK (that went out to 3rd parties), then they released 7.2.1 in Feb 2020 (which is what was implemented in Resolve 16.2), but that apparently *doesn't* have Metal accelerated decompression?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pooping on the work being done on GPU accelerated r3d decompression (because obviously I appreciate the the thought), but the roll out has been a little clunky. On the CUDA/PC side, it took from summer-2018 announcement, to spring-2019 SDK, to winter-2019 Resolve implementation (~18mths). In that time, hardware brute-force caught-up and here we are a year after the SDK and is the CUDA acceleration even in most-used 3rd party software? It's looking like Metal will be the same, and given that apple's proprietary stuff usually runs 20% slower than the alternatives, the performance improvement might be less significant.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-10-2020 at 11:50 AM.