Thread: "Above NYC filmed in 12K", how they stitched those 3 videos ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 "Above NYC filmed in 12K", how they stitched those 3 videos ? 
    I watched this amazing video of Phil Holland, he used 3x Monstros on Helicopter, and i would like to know how he stitched those videos into 12K, and wich lenses he used!!
    Here is the video

I am the "they". But I can't with any sane mind share how I stitch 12K-32K projects like this. It's an alarmingly small and highly competitive market. Also a quote at any decent VFX house for a several minute long stitched shot is not exactly indi-friendly.

What I will say is this time around, mainly because of some of the circumstances surrounding this particular shoot and the subsequent not-obviously released array shoots I created an entirely new pipeline than what I was doing before. Which marks 5 major array workflow transitions since 2001 for me.

For lenses in this case it was 3X Tokina Cinema Vista 35mm T1.5 primes. That I don't mind sharing. We use lots of lenses for arrays :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm just curious Phil, in 2009 i made my first experiments with GoPro HERO cameras with a simple array of 5 cams, extracting frames from each camera (1280x960!) and i created a template with PTgui to stitch all these frames... All the cameras was synched with Arduino (i made a sketch) through the HERO bus connectors. I would like to test this process with a couple of cameras, but i have only one! (Dragon X)
    Last edited by Roberto Leone; 03-08-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Leone View Post
    I'm just curious Phil, in 2009 i made my first experiments with GoPro HERO cameras with a simple array of 5 cams, extracting frames from each camera (1280x960!) and i created a template with PTgui to stitch all these frames... All the cameras was synched with Arduino (i made a sketch) through the HERO bus connectors. I would like to test this process with a couple of cameras, but i have only one! (Dragon X)
    You know, the Sigma fp could be your money melon for a more serious attempt. However you're talking about US$1900 each. You could just start with two - the principle is the same, really.

I don't know what kind of lenses you'd need to ensure a close match, but maybe a pair of Leica M lenses could work. Maybe. The adapters would have to be top notch, too. Mechanical lenses make sense, as they have a hard stop at infinity. I don't know what method you'd use to keep the focus locked, though.

Part of me wants to give this a try... although I must admit that it doesn't excite me as much as it does others. I assume that you'd want to place the cameras based on the optical axis of the lens (is this what you did with the action cams?). I don't think it would be too challenging to build a prototype set-up, even if it's a little bit off.

As far as synchronisation goes, I can't find anything about the fp online.

RED cameras have 'Sensor Sync Mode', I discovered. I assume that Phil uses it. I found this, which seems useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfYsIWR3r4

Maybe not completely relevant but I did learn something.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Wow, Phil--- this work is unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    You know, the Sigma fp could be your money melon for a more serious attempt. However you're talking about US$1900 each. You could just start with two - the principle is the same, really.

I don't know what kind of lenses you'd need to ensure a close match, but maybe a pair of Leica M lenses could work. Maybe. The adapters would have to be top notch, too. Mechanical lenses make sense, as they have a hard stop at infinity. I don't know what method you'd use to keep the focus locked, though.

Part of me wants to give this a try... although I must admit that it doesn't excite me as much as it does others. I assume that you'd want to place the cameras based on the optical axis of the lens (is this what you did with the action cams?). I don't think it would be too challenging to build a prototype set-up, even if it's a little bit off.

As far as synchronisation goes, I can't find anything about the fp online.

RED cameras have 'Sensor Sync Mode', I discovered. I assume that Phil uses it. I found this, which seems useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfYsIWR3r4

Maybe not completely relevant but I did learn something.
    yes, i can test it also with a small camera, the process is not too much complicated when you choose the right focal lens you can reduce the parallax problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Leone View Post
    I watched this amazing video of Phil Holland, he used 3x Monstros on Helicopter, and i would like to know how he stitched those videos into 12K, and wich lenses he used!!
    Here is the video
    He shows how he does it at the end of the video?