Thread: Iron Glass || Soviet Set || Cine Edition

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Iron Glass || Soviet Set || Cine Edition 
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    I was wondering if anyone had one of these lens sets : https://ironglassadapters.com/rehoused-soviet-lenses/

I'm on the verge of ordering a full set (20-28-37-58-85-135), but I can't decide whether I want them Coated or Uncoated as there is no uncoated footage on their website.

If you have footage, even in non-Cine Edition, please share.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

I have ordered a set but only have the rehoused 58 right now. I ordered it standard without mods which is essentially like a regular Helios.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I have no personal experience with the Iron Glass versions, but they are doing decent work from what I can see.

There's been an interesting journey with Helios, Jupiter, MIR, Tair, Industar, and the Soviet Lenses in general. These optics were sold for very cheap, like not long ago you can snatch them up for $15 a lens. Which allowed for a lot of exploration with creative coatings, housings, and just general lens modification. We did a bunch of it in the 2000s and most of mine are in a case on a shelf, Richard Gale famously had his various iterations of mounts and housings, and there's been a few others in the mix.

It's amazing what Iron Glass is doing for the price IMO, so if the set interests you, it's worth doing. They certainly are passionate about it too. I've been following them as they've grown to the level to offer their full rehoused options.

Glass-wise, all of these are based on other things. Most notable is the Helios 58mm f/2, which is a copy of the Zeiss Biotar 58mm f/2 design, though they do have some unique differences to the image if you look closely. Some actually like the swirlier bokeh of the Helios. Interestingly lens companies as a whole worked very, very hard to get away from stuff like that occurring in the OOF image. But it does have an appeal for sure.

These lenses have character and they are a little all over the place, but that in this case is also what makes the set unique.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 03-11-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Like Phil I have used and modded, all of these. The tair-11 135mm is a spectacular lens. I really love the rest of the pack as well. I have a pile of helios 58s. They are so cheap, and so easy to put in PL mount, no reason not to. Polish the coatings off the front element, reverse the front element, unscrew lens and fill with glitter, etc. I have a 37, 58, and 85 that I rehoused my self, similarly to what they did here, but I kept mine smaller, and made them with 80mm fronts.

The only thing I am wary of with their rehousing is that they imply they are using the original helicoids. They are small and delicate, and I imagine they would have to have a little play supporting such a bigger housing, unless they came up with a clever way to support the lens body. I hope they did.

Nick

I’ve been eyeing their rehoused 58, love the swirly Bokeh.

Curious to see where this goes.
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Various other strange or vintage lenses

Like Bob, I ordered the 58mm without any special mods. I haven't had much of a chance to really put it to the test yet. I shot one music video with it, currently in post.

I love the lens and look forward to getting my hands on the full set in the future. I just really, really love shooting on old 35mm glass. It just gets really difficult when you need to add follow focus, mattebox, and whatever accessories you need to something so small.

I was stoked to see Ironglass do what I've been dreaming of for years, vintage glass in an affordable rehousing. I was sold. For me, I got their rehoused lens because it's more about form factor than the look for me. If I just wanted the glass, it's much cheaper to get the cinevised version.
    Epic-X Dragon #8014

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Thanks for all these answers.

I totally need them in full cine edition for the housing mainly. I like the regular soviet look but mechanics are terrible.
    As Bob, I'm eyeing the standard round version, no bokeh no fake flares.
    I just really don't like how the colors are completely out of control with the amber and purple ovales.

I'll probably get 2 full cine sets, and some PL cinemodded as extras for uncoated.

I'm AC'ing a dual camera TV show next september/October and as I know the DP well, he wants vintage lenses for the MiniLF.
    DNA lenses being rare and expensive, I offered him this choice and he likes it.

I really appreciate that Iron Glass can uncoat all of them to be a better color match, and that they are also changing/adding blades inside.

If they could do it at that price for Nikon AIS and HS Ekran, I would have kept my sets.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

I used to have the full set of the Dog Schidt lenses. Shot some ok stuff on them. I for one find the "swirly" bokeh a bit jagged for my tastes but these are an interesting take for sure.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Bérenger, honestly I think you would have gotten better and more consistent results keeping your Ekrans and buying an expander...

these still photo russian lenses can be relatively nice but bokeh, distortion and sharpness profile, optimal stop, flares, color balance and chromatic and spherical aberrations are all different from one FL to another...

My 2c...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

As a side note, I have a few of these original lenses that I polished the coatings off of, They look nice, but definately more bloomy and lower contrast than the lenses with coating. And they are already bloomy and low contrast.

Nick