Thread: Rain in Yosemite Valley

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rain in Yosemite Valley 
    Hi everyone, I wanted to share this time-lapse of Yosemite Valley that I shot on my Gemini a few weeks ago. I had gone there with the hope of seeing Firefall, but the conditions weren’t right. On my second day there, it was cold and rainy, and I knew it wasn’t going to happen this year. As I was leaving the park, I stopped at the vista point overlooking the valley, and the view was almost completely obscured by rain. Still, I thought it was worth capturing. I ended up standing there for two hours, just in awe of what was unfolding.

I had to reframe a couple times, because I actually couldn't even see the valley when I first set up the camera. As the rain began to lift, I could finally see the framing enough to move the camera. I ended up stitching four shots together for the final piece, distorting the ones that were framed differently so they would match the master. It's always disappointing when you decide to make a change in the middle of a time-lapse, but I liked the end result of cropping in to hide the missing edges of the other shots.

When I reviewed the footage, I was amazed at how much detail there was in those first moments when the valley was filled with mist. Bringing down the brightest parts of the image pulled out all kinds of detail in the rocks and clouds. Although I did end up keyframing curves to hold the highlight detail, I left the beginning pretty washed out.

I hope you enjoy!

Very nice!

If you look really closely on the left, you can see Alex Honnold scamper up El Cap from start to finish.

HAHAHA

funny, I haven't looked at reduser in many weeks, and the first thing that comes up is this!

Hi Alan - sweet timelapse! glad to see you are putting in some time with your rig and hope the move went well....miss you, bud!

Dang, what's that music man? Is that Horner? Reminds me of Apollo 13's Dark side of the moon. Beautiful!

Oh, timelapse's also stunning...:)

Gorgeous!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Thanks everyone! (Hi Meryem!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    Dang, what's that music man? Is that Horner? Reminds me of Apollo 13's Dark side of the moon. Beautiful!
    It's a piece from the soundtrack to Sneakers, by James Horner as you guessed. I'll have to check out the Apollo 13 soundtrack. I normally try to pick music that's roughly the length I need, and then nudge the edit to fit as much as possible. With this one, I never had any other piece of music in mind, even though I had to chop it up a bit.

Sneakers?! I guess I have some home work to do too.

Visually stunning. Love that brief play of sunlight across El Capitan.

VERY nice!
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326